Mohawk boat information

QuantumRift

Recruit
This is my first post here and I'm just getting into boating....Can anybody provide me with some information or clue as to the origin of my 14' Mohawk aluminum covered-bow boat? It' is at least 50 years old if not older (maybe closer to 55-60 yrs old). I got it from my dad last month in Canal Wincheser, OH, and have it here in AZ as I am going to restore it. It had been sitting in my folks' back yard from about 1970 and is in need of some TLC . However, I cannot find any scrap of information on MOHAWK boats anywhere. Any clues would be most appreciated.

It has a 5 HP Scott-Atwater motor that is in excellent condition (the motor spend decades in a barn).

doug in Sierra Vista, AZ

:)

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1
  • mohawkboat.jpg
    mohawkboat.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mohawk boat information

Boy, that boat has some miles on it! Mohawk boats came out of Amsterdam, NY, along the Mohawk River. Made from the 1950s into the early 1970s, fiberglass and aluminum runabouts and utilities. That's all I've got...

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Try posting your pics over in the restoration forum, maybe somebody there can help you.

QuantumRift

Recruit

Thanks! Is the company still around? Right now I'm trying to get the trailer into working order - lots of rust and corrosion but with some sandblasting and powder coating it can be a fine little trailer.

The boat itself has a small longitudinal crack in the aluminum on the keel back near the transom, a few inches long. I have a welder friend who knows how to work aluminum and hopefully he will be able to weld or patch it. Otherwise, as you can see from the pics, it needs some cosmetic work (seats, steering, etc) and a new transom. there is rotten wood sandwiched between the alumunum on the transom and have to figure out how to replace it without tearing it all apart.... this will be fun for a boating NEWB. :redface:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

After a quick Google search, it doesn't look like the company is still in existence. That's a pretty neat boat, by the way, you should be able to make a pretty nice craft out of it.

Jeep Man

Commander

I have a similar boat (aluminum runabout from the 50's) Look up a product called Gluvit. Also check out other posts related to this product. Good luck with your project.

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wonder if that is related to Mohawk Canoe, which used to be out of Florida, but is now apparently in Tenn?

QuantumRift

Recruit

I've been meaning to contact them and ask...the past few days I've been removing the rusted screws, bolts, etc. I've managed to remove the rotten wood on the rear and managed to fabricate a decent template for both pieces and got 3/4" marine plywood to work with. I am going to get the "Mohawk" nameplates rechromed as well as the "Royal" model that is on the dash panel....yea it'll be a project. Thanks for all the replies.

Ranch Lady

Recruit

Have you found anymore info about the Mohawk boat company or the boat itself? We just bought a 1959 Mohawk boat, 15', looks identical to yours....we just bought it off of Craigslist in Phoenix. The seller said it was a Salt River Project owned boat and it looks to be in excellent condition. I can't find out anything googling either.

Thank you!

mr 88

Commander

There is one on Ebay.put 1957 in the search window

jimnvt

Recruit

Boy, that boat has some miles on it! Mohawk boats came out of Amsterdam, NY, along the Mohawk River. Made from the 1950s into the early 1970s, fiberglass and aluminum runabouts and utilities. That's all I've got...

I also have a mohawk i can't find info on its the same as your but the stern is like a cadillac or dura craft any way i called around Amsterdam and Montgomery county historical society and they have nothing sooo we can keep hoping and digging for info :)