How long is stabilized fuel good for?

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
I have 128 gallons of stabilized fuel in my big boat from then end of 2009. Used the boat once this year (maybe put 1-1/2 hrs on it) and need to have it pulled for the winter. Just wondering if that gas is going to be OK for another season or not. I plan on running the crap out of it next year and getting rid of it through the motors but never have left the same fuel in it for this long. IIRC there is Sta-Bil in there as a stabilizer.

Any recommendations?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How long is stabilized fuel good for?

It should be fine. My Dad left untreated gas in his Chapparel for 3 years and it ran fine.

If you want to be on the safe side, top it off with fresh premium gas & add some more stabil.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My friend missed a season as well. When he started the engine up (4.3 I/O) with 2 year old gas he claimed it ran OK. He ran is down to 1/2 tank the first day, then refilled with 89 octane and the boat ran fine the whole season.

I ran 2 year old premix in a 9.9 outboard one year. It seemed a bit sluggish to me, but when I diluted what was left with fresh gas at 50/50 it was OK.

In both cases Stabil was used when it was fresh.

sasto

Captain

We ran over 100 gals thru the inboard that had been sitting almost 3 years with Stabil. I had no issues. Ran it dry before I added any fresh fuel. If she were mine I would do the same, potententially bad fuel plus good fuel still equils bad fuel.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I just went 3 years with a car and boat in storage. Had to sit cuz of divorse and job loss. Both started and ran fine. BUT the thing is that I have acess to the good stuff.---Plz see my post on Mn Boat Nectar.. I use that and Stabil.. None oxygenated premium baby !!!

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Luckily we have marinas around here that sell the "Marine" version of fuel, so I think I'm ok on that front. Just don't want to be left with a massive turd this next season. The professional who winterizes/stores my boat said it should be ok, I just don't like to press my luck, esp with a boat like that. Too much $$ invested to do a SHT with the fuel.

Thanks for the advice!

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

I've got two wave runners, I did not use them at all this summer (kids are grown and gone). This weekend I ran all the gas out of them and replaced with fresh fuel and stabilizer for the winter. Their gas was old, from last fall and was stabilized at that time. Both waverunners were hard to start, but ran ok. After running them near bone dry, I put in the new gas and took them both back out for a spin to run the new gas through the system. Holy crap what a difference. I thought they were finally showing some age on the first outing (just not as stong as they seemed like they used to be, WOT they had dropped to mid 50's). With new gas, both hit 62 mph, like I was used to, ran much smoother and started instantly. New gas, big difference, old gas, not that bad, but I'm glad I took 4+ hours to run it out.