Mercury Warranty Promotion / USA Only!?!?

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Mercury Warranty Promotion / USA Only!?!?

I found the exclusions of this 5 & Drive promotion for you.

Sorry, But this is all I know about this promotional deal, Because I'm not in sales and don't follow sale promotions all that much.;):p:)

Exclusions: All Pacemaker, Mercury Racing, Government, previously registered
engines, donations, as well as engines sold for commercial, camp or
resort applications, waterski engines and sales/registrations outside the
United States. Also excludes any non-U.S. resident, or address outside of
the U.S. 2-Stroke and Sport Jet engines (200/250 Opti) are excluded from
this promotion as well. Any units that are five years or more from
manufacture date to retail sale date.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

My beef is that this promotion was in effect when I bought my two engines, but because I live in Canada, I was never informed or told about free extended warranty, despite the fact the promotional add did not state Canada was excluded at that time. The add was only changed to read "US only" just last week. I paid just as much for those same engines, as those in the US who are getting it for free.

You said that it always explained that it was "US only" after you clicked through to the details page. Your beef is that the outside ad didn't mention it. Its complaints like this that lead us to having ads that have so many disclaimers with them that you don't even remember what the ad was for. If it always said US only in the details, then I don't see why you think you are owed it.

These types of things are "incentives" to get people to buy something. You obviously didn't know about it when you bought your engines and didn't have a problem buying them, but now you are trying to get something that was never available to you, or anyone else in Canada at the time you bought it. I'm sure there are time periods when there are promotions in Canada that aren't going on in the US. The promotions have a cost... someone is paying for it because warranties aren't free. Its probably being funded by the sales and distribution arm of the company in the US. Every company I've ever dealt with has this kind of thing going on across geographies. The fact that you said, "I paid just as much for those same engines as those in the US who are getting it for free", shows that you are not really thinking about this correctly. You couldn't possibly know if you paid the same or not as someone in the US, and even if you paid the same... there are exchange rates, tarriffs, taxes, discounts, promotions, delivery costs, etc. that are involved between two countries so it would be virtually impossible for you to have paid the same thing for the engines, and they are absolutely not the same internal cost between the two countries.

Bottom line is that you messed up by not negotiating an extended warranty when you bought the engines. Dealers will discount warranties big time at the time of purchase, but after the fact there is absolutely no incentive for them to do it. Sounds like a life lesson to me.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

You couldn't possibly know if you paid the same or not as someone in the US, and even if you paid the same... there are exchange rates, tarriffs, taxes, discounts, promotions, delivery costs, etc. that are involved between two countries so it would be virtually impossible for you to have paid the same thing for the engines, and they are absolutely not the same internal cost between the two countries.

Bottom line is that you messed up by not negotiating an extended warranty when you bought the engines. Dealers will discount warranties big time at the time of purchase, but after the fact there is absolutely no incentive for them to do it. Sounds like a life lesson to me.

You are dead wrong...

I bought the 2 engines in the US, [NJ] had them shipped to Buffalo NY, picked them up there, and then paid all the applicable taxes / fees [13%] at the border, before importing them into Canada. Add it all up, and I paid more than anyone in the US would have....

Want to try again?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

You said that it always explained that it was "US only" after you clicked through to the details page. Your beef is that the outside ad didn't mention it.

Wrong again...

I stated the original "Plus Series Promotion" NEVER excluded Canada until AFTER I called Mercury and asked to register the extended warranty on my two engines. They were all set to do it, till they found out I was from Canada...

A day or two later the add was changed to read "US only".