Fastest boats on the lake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend of mine asked me, Sport fishing spend all day on the water trolling around at 2/3kms fishing so, why do they all have huge hp motors like they were drag racers? I don't know, anyone care to enlighten me?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fastest boats on the lake?

In a simplified nutshell---Tournament bass fishermen have time limits. The more time it takes to get to the hot spots, the less fishing time there is: Time is money to these guys so they need to go fast. The rest just want to look cool and buy the equipment.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

lexer- what does 440 stand for? a 440 Wedge!

Bass fishermen never troll lures- cept for Canadians & striper/walleyes fishermen.

Bass fishermen troll with an electric trolling motor just to cover a likely spot or hold the position.

And it can be a race to be the 1st to the spot! Hence the need for speed.

Any size or type of fishing boat that gets to the fishing grounds faster-especially far offshore, the better. more time fishing/ less time riding.

Would you rather date a fat frumpy gal with a Moe Howard hair cut
or a Beautiful Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Model with a certain lack of morals??:cool:

sorry for the rant- fish do not care what kind of boat you have- I've caught plenty in a small aluminum boat.

But that is a dumb question you posted.

j_martin

Admiral

A friend of mine asked me, Sport fishing spend all day on the water trolling around at 2/3kms fishing so, why do they all have huge hp motors like they were drag racers? I don't know, anyone care to enlighten me?

It scares my kids shiftless, so I have more time to fish.:D

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

This is kind of like asking why people drive fast performance cars. Either people like fast cars or boats or they don't.

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

One time I was out on the lake looking for spawning bass. Me and a guy with an aluminum with what looked like a 15hp both put in at the same time. I spent 10-15 mins on 2-3 different holes and every time I'd move further down the lake I'd pass him. We both ended up at the same place eventually at the opposite end of the lake but I had spend most of the time that he spent operating his tiller handle fishing. Then there's thunderstorms that pop up out of nowhere. Would you rather be in a 20mph boat or a 60mph boat with lightning getting really close to you? Really it all has to do with the type of fishing you do. I wish I had a 16' flatbottom with a 25hp for trout fishing and putting other places my big Charger has no business going but that won't happen for another several years. The big fast bass boat was the best choice for 95% of my fishing so that's what I got.

The fastest bass boats on the water from what I can tell are...
Bumblebee
Allison Craft (overpriced pos pasteboard box but fast)
Bullet
Javelin
Gambler
Stratos

I know there are some I'm forgetting.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

My brother got a late 80s Procraft 16 fishnski w Yama pro v 150 in trade for building a shelter onto a man,who supplied the materials, barn.It will fly!70+and scares the crap out of him and anyone who rides in it that fast!but it is fun when its calm.he finds deals on stuff all the time.on his maiden voyage he came screaming by my dad and I, who beat him to the lake and were fishing on a main lake point.Dad didnt believe me when I said "there goes Travis, I guess theres nothing wrong w the engine" as he suspected when he got it in trade.that was 3 yrs ago,still running strong!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

even with salt water offshore fishing: the clients are paying big bucks to fish. You need to get out there quickly so you can maximize your time fishing.
that's the practical answer.
the other answer is demonstrated by the fact that a Honda accord goes 65 mph at the same speed as a Corvette or a Ferrarri. But which would most people rather have?
Third answer, like the dog question: because he can

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That third answer, IMHO, is the best answer to this post. It's the reason I have the 200 opti on the back of my boat!

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wish I had a 16' flatbottom with a 25hp for trout fishing and putting other places my big Charger has no business going but that won't happen for another several years.

Haha, you'd be surprised where the big Charger can go. I watched a tournament on TV this weekend and these two locals were schooling the more well known pros. They had a fishing spot that they had to travel up a creek for a very long ways to get to. They actually had to plow there way through a couple of beaver dams and they said they were in 8" of water at one point throwing mud up like a 4-wheeler, and towing each other. One of the boats was completely covered with mud and sticks and stuff when they got out the other end. These were full sized tournament bass boats and they were trashing them to no end to get to this spot... so don't think the big Charger can't get to anywhere that 16' flat bottom can.

As for the original question... the big motor is to minimize the non-fishing time on an outing... short and simple.

bekosh

Lieutenant

When it comes to boats there are 2 things you can never have enough of.

Water underneath & horse power behind. :cool:

gonefishie

Commander

Haha, you'd be surprised where the big Charger can go. I watched a tournament on TV this weekend and these two locals were schooling the more well known pros. They had a fishing spot that they had to travel up a creek for a very long ways to get to. They actually had to plow there way through a couple of beaver dams and they said they were in 8" of water at one point throwing mud up like a 4-wheeler, and towing each other. One of the boats was completely covered with mud and sticks and stuff when they got out the other end. These were full sized tournament bass boats and they were trashing them to no end to get to this spot... so don't think the big Charger can't get to anywhere that 16' flat bottom can.

As for the original question... the big motor is to minimize the non-fishing time on an outing... short and simple.

I think he meant to go there without trashing it. I saw that tournament on the Delta too. I'd come back with a jet boat if I know I'm going to be fishing in a spot like that. Unless, FLW banned jet boat. Them boys sure trashed the hell outta their boats. I can't imagine what the mud that was sucked up does to the impeller and motor.

Like bekosh said, more water and more power.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he meant to go there without trashing it. I saw that tournament on the Delta too. I'd come back with a jet boat if I know I'm going to be fishing in a spot like that. Unless, FLW banned jet boat. Them boys sure trashed the hell outta their boats. I can't imagine what the mud that was sucked up does to the impeller and motor.

Like bekosh said, more water and more power.

I agree... I was just saying! ;) ;) ;)

I would have never gone into that spot with my boat and I'm sure its worth way less $$$$ than the ones they were trashing. But can you put a price on 10 minutes of fame on a TV bass fishin' show? :eek:

gonefishie

Commander

I agree... I was just saying! ;) ;) ;)

I would have never gone into that spot with my boat and I'm sure its worth way less $$$$ than the ones they were trashing. But can you put a price on 10 minutes of fame on a TV bass fishin' show? :eek:

I would! It's more than a TV show, a spot in the FLW Cup and a chance at 500K-1 million. Even in the brand new Phoenix which was the fastest on the lake yesterday. It felt great when others had to slow down for rough water while I kept the pedal to the floor. :D

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bumblebee
Bullet
Javelin
Gambler
Stratos

Correction. The fastest Bass boats on the water are 1500 horsepower Biesemeyer and Revenge Flatbottoms. ;)

normal_Copy_of_69880002.JPG

evin268fs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bumblebee
Bullet
Javelin
Gambler
Stratos

I know there are some I'm forgetting.

I am guessing you have never been in an allison. With my little 200 xri, I can run 85 light and 82 with a pasenger and 79 loaded to fish....with a prop change I can put five in the boat, pull slalom skiers and still run 70ish...they require a little bit of driver skill but stringing them out is addicitng..and turn like a jet ski......They are some of the mose strucally sound fuel efficient boats made

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

My boat is the fastest....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Year old thread. Gonna let it sink to where only downriggers should go . . . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.