Super Tech Gear Lube Oil

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know if I can use the Super Tech Gear Lubricant 80w-90 GL -5 to change my lower unit oil?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Super Tech Gear Lube Oil

If you are going to use super tech from wal mart, why not use the super tech lower unit oil. I used to use it in my 1976 Johnson 70 hp outboard. When I got my newer 115hp Mariner I switched to the more expensive brand name oil and after 1 year I lost a lower unit. Can't say for sure the oil had anything to do with it, but I never had any problems with the supertech lower unit oil in my other motor.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice

Hi 109jb,

Thanks for replying. I just posted a pic of the oil. Could tell me if this is the same as what you used on your 70 hp Johnson? Please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG00184.jpg
    IMG00184.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

TilliamWe

Banned

No it's not the same that he used. He used the one called "MARINE" lower unit gear lube. Not all WalMarts have it though. If yours doesn't, they probably don't have the Pennzoil Marine Lower Unit lube, either. Look for that at an auto parts store, then. Do not use the regular gear oil in your outdrive.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Hi 109jb,

Thanks for replying. I just posted a pic of the oil. Could tell me if this is the same as what you used on your 70 hp Johnson? Please let me know. Thanks.

Nope. Not the same. As TilliamWe said, what I am talking about actually says marine lower unit gear lubricant on the bottle. In my wal mart it is found around the corner from the regular gear lube. It is grouped where the 2-stroke outboard oil is and next to the pumps that you use to fill the lower unit.

cr2k

Captain

Yea it's good stuff but use the 85-140 or what ever is close the that. The 80-90 is a little thin for a lower unit. Also use some synthetic with it either a blend or mix some in. Do not use straight syn however.

Never had a problem using regular gear oil in the lowers. 17 years so I don't think it's luck. Just do an oil change more often then every 5 years, like every fall.

Brewman61

Ensign

If it were me, I'd only use what the mfg. specifies- most likely marine grade lower unit lube. I'm not sure how compatible standard (non marine) gear lube is with water. Marine grade lube, as I understand, can tolerate a certain amount of water intrusion, where the plain stuff may not.
The brand itself I'd be fine with- but why not use specific lower unit lube?
There really isn't any compelling reason, in my opinion, not to use something that meets that specified standard. I figure they know way more about it than I do.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I looked it up once and if I remember right, the Super Tech Lower Unit oil was actually manufactured by Penzoil or Quaker State

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would at least go the "marine" specific stuff I'm sure regular gear lube would work but the extra few bucks for the right stuff would be piece of mind enough to use it. As others have said supposidly the marine grade is more forgiving as per water intrusion, foaming, etc. All this said if you have an older electric shift OD then I would reccomend only the stuff for elec. shift models.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone for replying. The reason I asked b/c my boat does not come with a manual so make it a little hard for me to do everything myself.

I have a Force 70 hp outboard. Does anyone know how much gear oil I should get or I need? Do you think 8oz is enough?

Thanks.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not 100% sure but I don't think that would be enough, my old evinrude took over a quart.

hvluve

Seaman Apprentice

Wow. I guess I need to get 2 QT to make sure I have enough. Thanks for letting me know.