Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best lube for boat cover snaps?

Or is there a special product available to keep my snaps slick and snappy

Ayuh,.... Bee's Wax....

Pirate_40

Seaman

I never needed to tend to my snaps. Waxing them when I wax the boat twice a year seems to be enough.

Moody Blue

Captain

Anything waxy. I use parafin wax on all the zippers on the boat and my tents. Works great.

Jeep Man

Commander

For other things where it's metal on metal, such as drill chucks, sliding ladders, locks, etc., I have always used powered graphite. The main reason being that it does not attract dust and dirt as an oil or grease based product would. The downside is that it is black and can be messy if your not careful. In my case the cover is black. Does anyone know if this is good to use in this application?

haulnazz15

Captain

For other things where it's metal on metal, such as drill chucks, sliding ladders, locks, etc., I have always used powered graphite. The main reason being that it does not attract dust and dirt as an oil or grease based product would. The downside is that it is black and can be messy if your not careful. In my case the cover is black. Does anyone know if this is good to use in this application?

Not unless you want graphite all over your clothes/hands from rubbing against the snap bases all of the time.

sasto

Captain

I thought there was only one way.......mine! :rolleyes: How foolish of me. Going to experiment with the other ways. I have 5 on the bridge and am going to use 5 different methods. Must be applied without propellant although....in saltwater and sun.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No one need NE advice on snaps since 2010? I have been looking for a way to easily lubrication the things so as not to tear them out and found wonderful suggestions here. I'll try chapstick. Good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.