Jon boat console location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-31

Cadet
I have an alumacraft 1436 jonboat with tiller steer and im changing it over to remote steer/throttle/shift. What i want to know is, does it make a difference where the console is located on the boat? As far as driveability does it matter where i put the steering console and where i sit to drive the boat?

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Jon boat console location?

Absolutely. A small boat is sensitive to weight, so when adding equipment (like a console) it's important to distribute it evenly as possible.
When modifying my jonboat I mounted the console using slotted angle. It allowed me to adjust the whole assembly F-R until it felt right. I also mounted a trolling motor and my second battery forward, and keep the anchor and extra gas tank up there. They compensate for my weight behind the console.
You need to experiment a little to figure out the best placement for your console.
1008005.jpg

fastal

Cadet

Does anyone know if they make a double console Jon boat???
Thanks,
Al

S-31

Cadet

Absolutely. A small boat is sensitive to weight, so when adding equipment (like a console) it's important to distribute it evenly as possible.
When modifying my jonboat I mounted the console using slotted angle. It allowed me to adjust the whole assembly F-R until it felt right. I also mounted a trolling motor and my second battery forward, and keep the anchor and extra gas tank up there. They compensate for my weight behind the console.
You need to experiment a little to figure out the best placement for your console.
1008005.jpg

Id love to set my boat up like yours, i know your boat is 48" wide across the bottom and probably much more stable than my 14/36. Has anyone ever seen a narrower boat like mine set up with a center console like that? Im sure i can build a center console to fit my boat that would allow room on either side to move from front to back but on a boat the size of mine would it be more trouble to do it than its worth?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have had a small jon like that and can't imagine trying to get around a console, to be functional it would have to be almost as wide as the boat adn ot leave alot of room to get around it.

The fab guy in me would love the challenge but I just don't know and also once you do it it is done so if it doesn't work you are in a real spot.

I would start drawing it to scale, if you can't make it work on paper you probably can't build it either.

Bondo

Staff member

but on a boat the size of mine would it be more trouble to do it than its worth?

Ayuh,... Just remember, every pound of Stuff you build into your boat,...
Is a pound of Stuff you Can't put in the boat after you've added all the other tonnage...

You've got a Tiny boat, don't be Overloaded, before you even launch...

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless you just want a project, it would be much easier and maybe cheaper to buy a boat like you want.
Lots of boats on Craigslist this time of year.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow..... I wouldn't event attempt that.... if you want some good info on jon-boat modifications go to www.tinboats.net

The guys there will probably tell ya the same thing though... I wouldn't put anything but a tiller in a boat smaller than 48" across the bottom. Just MHO

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you want/need a console for? Are you looking for more comfort or more visibility or both?

Tiller steer will give you the greatest mobility/maneuverability in the boat by far. You will lose some of your maneuverability in tight quarters by going to a console.

If space is at a premium, consider a side console. If visibility is a premium, then consider center console.

Think outside the box - rather than building a boxy console, consider building a mast (pole) instead to mount all of the controls, steering wheel, etc. on - you will lose very little valuable floor space and the system will still be functional (I have seen barge tugs with the entire cabin mounted on a pedestal six feet above the deck so that they wouldn't lose valuable cargo space and have maximum visibility).

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

For a 14' boat:
No dual console--total waste of space on the passenger side.
Center console would have to be just a post-type rig, to be driven standing up (look at how go-devils are rigged). This would be desirable for a waterman or duck hunter but probably not for a typical recreational operator.
If you must have a console, a small side mount is what you want, in front of a bench seat all the way across. You will usually not sit directly behind the wheel (unless you have a passenger for balance), but to the center of the boat--it's small enough that you can reach everything. This is how a 13' whaler is rigged and operates. I'd also suggest a low console and skip the windshield.
I have to say, though, Ark's rig looks pretty good, and surprised it goes in a 14.
I'd recommend the same for a boat up to 16. A narrow aisle on both sides of a center does little good.
In fact, we rigged a 19' with a double seat center console shoved all the way to the side, so we have a large side aisle, both for passing and for hauling lumber, etc. Works well even though the boat, at rest, is listing some.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Bond-o's right- my boat's rated for 4 people but with the extra weight of the console, troller, battery, anchor etc I'll only run it with 3 maximum- and no fattys allowed! ;)

For a 14' boat:
If you must have a console, a small side mount is what you want, in front of a bench seat all the way across. You will usually not sit directly behind the wheel (unless you have a passenger for balance), but to the center of the boat--it's small enough that you can reach everything. This is how a 13' whaler is rigged and operates. I'd also suggest a low console and skip the windshield.
I have to say, though, Ark's rig looks pretty good, and surprised it goes in a 14.
I'd recommend the same for a boat up to 16. A narrow aisle on both sides of a center does little good.
Yup, I tried to put the console in the middle but it didn't allow adequate room on either side. I solved the problem by offsetting the console as far as I could to starboard and still be on the flat part of the hull. I compensated by putting a big (group 31) battery on the port side just forward of the center seat. You can see the top of the black box in the shot below.
HC's also correct that sitting directly behind the offset console can upset the L-R balance. I usually sit on the L edge of the seat or stand when running on plane. And I like the windshield, especially when caught in a shower- that rain HURTS!
And before anyone flames me, YES it's perfectly safe to stand on this boat.

I guess technically my rig is a side console..... here's a shot that shows it:
Interior008.jpg

S-31

Cadet

The only reason id want a console is because i honestly cant steer a boat from the tiller. Ive tried, and cant get it in my head to turn the motor in the opposite direction of where i want to go. To me it is one of the hardest things ive ever tried to learn. I really wish i could get the hang of it, but ive damn near killed myself twice this summer trying to learn how to steer that way. Ill probably have to go to a bigger boat with a console just to be able to have a steering wheel in front of me and still be able to fish off of it. The 14/36 i have has plenty of room to fish off of as long as i dont have to add a console to steer from, i just wish the tiller steering was a little more forgiving to a novice.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

what about STICK STEERING and a small side/off center console?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Ok then IMO you should consider mrdancers idea- think outside the box!
I think you might find a simple stick steering setup would help you a lot. Don't need a console to do that!
Check this out:
http://www.ezyglide.com/
EDIT: DAM 26, you beat me to it! ;);)

S-31

Cadet

The stick steer looks like a pretty simple solution, could it be mounted in front of you to push left and right instead of forward and back? I'd like to hear from some of you that use stick steer to hear some pros and cons on that type setup. Ive thought about mounting a steering helm on a flat plate mounted to a piece of round bar extending into the boat about 16", so it wouldnt take up too much room, and ive looked around for some ideas, but havent come up with anything yet.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

The stick steer looks like a pretty simple solution, could it be mounted in front of you to push left and right instead of forward and back?

I suppose, but all the stick-steer boats I've run steer by pushing F-R and the motion is instinctive with very little thought required.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

mount the stick steering on the side( back & forth)-you will not gain anything going side to side.

S-31

Cadet

I saw that the steering cable has to come in from the port side on the stick steer setup. Can the stick be mounted on the starboard side to be able to steer with the right hand?

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

The only reason id want a console is because i honestly cant steer a boat from the tiller. Ive tried, and cant get it in my head to turn the motor in the opposite direction of where i want to go. To me it is one of the hardest things ive ever tried to learn. I really wish i could get the hang of it, but ive damn near killed myself twice this summer trying to learn how to steer that way.

Hate to say it, but if you can't wrap your head around a tiller,a push/pull stick steer is just begging for trouble............

Modifiying a small john is also asking for trouble, and could lead to liability issues. Trade up to something you are more comfortable with, before you hurt yourself or someone else. :cool:

<<)))(((>>

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hate to say it, but if you can't wrap your head around a tiller,a push/pull stick steer is just begging for trouble............

Modifiying a small john is also asking for trouble, and could lead to liability issues. Trade up to something you are more comfortable with, before you hurt yourself or someone else. :cool:

<<)))(((>>

So true--stick steer--is to me the best set/up for you--BUT it is something to get used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.