Jon boat console location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Jon boat console location?

The only reason id want a console is because i honestly cant steer a boat from the tiller. Ive tried, and cant get it in my head to turn the motor in the opposite direction of where i want to go. To me it is one of the hardest things ive ever tried to learn. I really wish i could get the hang of it, but ive damn near killed myself twice this summer trying to learn how to steer that way. i just wish the tiller steering was a little more forgiving to a novice.

:eek::eek::confused::confused::eek::eek:
And how do you manage to get the boat into the lake???
If you can't figure out a tiller, what's to say you'll be any better off using a stick steer??? Maybe let someone take you out and show you the proper use of your boat, before you kill someone eh?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if your motivation to install a console is to avoid learnnig boating skills, sell the 14 and get a golf cart. Seriously.

Boat steering is backwards until you realize you steer from the rear. A car sends the "bow" left or right; a boat sends the stern. You push the motor the direction you want the stern to go.
Practice, alone, a lot.
Make minor corrections, especially if you go the wrong way. Pushing hard over can be dangerous in a small boat. Start your turn slowly (slight push) to see if you are going the right way.
Approach docks and other objects in neutral, coasting so slowly you don't have to use reverse as a brake. Your motor will thank you. Ratehr than try to run a slow idle in gear, coast and bump in and out of gear as needed. Practice this first against a soft object and then a pole, where you can approach with each wind/current direction. And when you can, it's usually easier to approach heading upwind/upcurrent.
There's a lot of awkward movement tiller steering into a dock. Don't get rattled.

S-31

Cadet

Thanks for everyones input. Being safe on the water is first and foremost when im asking about the different steering setups everyone has. I absolutely don't want anyone getting hurt. I've worked as a school bus mechanic for the last 16 years and safety is the ONLY thing on my mind when i'm doing my job, and of course it carries over into everything i do on my time as well. That being said, finding an easier way to steer my boat would make it much safer for me and anyone else that happens to be on the water, so, thanks everyone for all the ideas and constructive criticism. Im looking into the different types of steering setups yall are talking about and hopefully i can come up with something that will work for me.

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Practice with what you have. Go slow. Zigzag all the way across the lake and back at idle. Youll get it.

mynamehere

Recruit

can you tell me where you got that console sir, ?? i love that outfit and im getting ready to modify a jet boat, im thinking of doing a center console

arks

Lieutenant Commander

can you tell me where you got that console sir, ?? i love that outfit and im getting ready to modify a jet boat, im thinking of doing a center console

Assuming you're asking me- I built it from scratch out of plywood, resin and mat.
Started with a cardboard mock-up and did 'cut and paste' until it was right.

mynamehere

Recruit

wow plywood huh? thats an extremly nice outfit, i really like the white too, , is that kind of a stand up console? how tall?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Thank you. I forget the exact height but the top of the grab bar is 5' above the floor.
Yes I added the bar to have something solid to hold when standing up while running on plane.

mynamehere

Recruit

Thanks for chatting with me, I was wandering where you got the windshield and grab bar, and did you make the console to accept the windshield, if you have Any rough height diminisions that would be great, thanks for the help

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an alumacraft 1436 jonboat with tiller steer and im changing it over to remote steer/throttle/shift. What i want to know is, does it make a difference where the console is located on the boat? As far as driveability does it matter where i put the steering console and where i sit to drive the boat?

Do yourself a huge favor: Get on craigslist (watch for scammers) and find yourself a 1648 jon boat and then put a console from iboats (http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Cons...59585074--**********.651652201--view_id.40120) in it. I had the same delema you have (minus the part about tillers - they drive fine for me). But I had a 1636 boat that I wanted to modify to console steering and also add a trolling motor and a few "custom touches". I got some of the same advice here at iboats that you did - and I am thankful for it. So I spent a little time and re-bucked some rivets and put a paint job on the old boat and rattle canned the trailer it was on and then sold it for $700. Then I bought a 2003 Voyager 1670 (same as most 1648's, they just measure the beam for their models I guess) that had been in a storm and had some minor damage with a tilt trailer for $500 and found a console (very similar to the one in the link) with the steering wheel and cable for $100. Just the other day I found the seats I've been looking for for only $60.

Long story short: I have a boat project for the winter, but, with a little shopping and patience, I have been able to acquire all the major items to put the boat together just the way I want it for the same money I sold my other boat for.

Take the time and put it into creating the boat you really want. Read through some of the remodel threads here and at some of the other sites (as mentioned). I did and I found that most everyone that had taken the time to make their boat what they wanted were much happier that they had......and I'm sure I will be as well and hope the same for you (should you venture that way).

One last note: You may also have to consider cost of going to a larger motor as well if you do go to a larger boat. Of course that depends on what you already have and what you are wanting to achieve. For me, a larger motor doesn't cost much as I am in love with the '50s and '60s Johnnyrude motors and they can be bought for less than a couple hundred bucks in "not running" condition (someone is too lazy to put a carb kit in or replace a coil) and tuned up to make a great motor. The last one I bought ('57 Evinrude 30 hp) for $100 because it would run for a while and then stop and fuel would run out the front of the carb. I put a $24 carb kit in it and it runs great. Of course I will do the standard and replace the impeller, spark plugs, tune the ignition, and replace the lower unit oil.....but that's easy enough. Best part is, it came with the throttle/shift controls and a trolling motor. All I have to do is find starter solenoid and wire everything up to the console when I install it.

Sorry to run away with the thread.....but I do hope this gives you some ideas and encourages you to make sure, whatever you do, that you will be happy with the end result. As for me, I say a guy with your "steering challenge" should stay away from stick steering as well. Either go console (with a bigger boat) or stay at it (more carefully though) and learn the tiller.

Good Luck

arks

Lieutenant Commander

learningasIgo makes some good points.

Thanks for chatting with me, I was wandering where you got the windshield and grab bar, and did you make the console to accept the windshield, if you have Any rough height diminisions that would be great, thanks for the help

Remember, I have one of the bigger 14' Jons, sso my mods may not work on your boat.
I made both the windshield (lexan) and bar (3/4" electrical conduit).
I looked under the tarp this morning and got the console dimensions:
- Height 35"
- Width 25"
- Depth 25" (max)
The bar BTW is actually 50" from the floor, not 5'.

salty44

Recruit

Hi, I have been reading here about "stick steering systems" for small fishing boats. But, I can't find a link that works or where to buy one. Can anyone help?

bgeddes

Recruit

If you Google EZ Glide, there are links to places that sell them. There may be other stick steering systems that are unfamiliar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.