Need Sealant for Mounting a bimini?

hostage

Lieutenant
I was reading through a few posts and saw some people mentioned using some 3M sealant for when they mounted some hardware. I read through my instructions when I installed the bimini and there was no mention of this. Should I have used sealant on the screws? Also if I should have is it to late?

Thanks,

Hostage

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Need Sealant for Mounting a bimini?

I doubt there's any sealant or glue required or recommended for mounting a Bimini top, just the hardware and screws. I might use sealants like 3M or silicone for mounting below water line or where I'm trying to waterproof the mountings. I used a bit of silicone on my fishfinder mounting bracket on top of my console just to keep the rainwater from leaking down underneath.

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It really wouldn't have been a bad idea to use a sealant.

above waterline - 3M 4200
below waterline - 3M 5200

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

For hardware that doesn't matter if it's water tight, a little silicon won't hurt. But a few tiny droplets around the bimini fittings won't do any harm to anything, practically speaking. But if you put some permanent bond in there you may have trouble if you have to replace the fitting or want to move it--and that is far more likely than needing to keep out the droplets.