Keeping cabin dry and warm?

Cuyose

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a Carver 28 Voyager, which is slipped year round in Lake Union, Seattle. This is a fresh water lake, but never freezes. I am going to be asking more around the marina, however I am a bit concerned about how likely freeze damage is to occur in the winter.

It infrequently gets to below freezing for any length of time, but its not unheard of for it to be in the 20's for a couple days. This is a closed cooling setup, so I am not worried about the engine freezing, however the transmission oil coolers, raw water pumps and the like are exposed to lake water.

I was thinking of getting a plug in dehumidifier to run in the cabin and just drain the water into the sink to discharge through the thru-hull. I know these produce circulating warm air when they do this. Even cracking the doors to the v-drives in the cabin floor which technically are subsequently exposed to the engine bay to warm it in there a little?

Does anyone use a similar setup and have any recommendations on a good compact unit?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Keeping cabin dry and warm?

How much heat does a dehumidifier put out and would it really be enough to compensate, in the bilge area, for 20 degree days?

As it is a 28' Carver, I would assume your boat also has A/C & heat? Why wouldn't you just have the heat on in the winter at (+ or -) 50 degrees?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be leary of being able to get any appreciable heat out of the dehumidifier. They work by passing air over a set of cold coils to remove the moisture, then move the air back over the hot side of the coils to cool the refrigerant. Problem is, when you need it, it won't be reducing the temperature of the air, thus won't be condensing moisture out, thus wont be adding any energy back to the air. Put simply, the colder the ambient air is, the less efficient the dehumidification proces (and hence, the less latent heat you will get out of it). When the air temperature reaches the temperature of the primary coil (usually approx 38 - 40 deg F), the net effect is zero.

I'd think you would have better luck with some type of ceramic heater. Just be careful and get one that has all the correct protections - hate to have you burn it to the waterline when you were just trying to heat it up "a little".

witenite0560

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have shore power available, I'd recommend one of the small SunTwin type infrared heaters. Don't take up much space. No chance of fire, if it tips over or any other reason, really and they work really efficiently.

Cuyose

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, Ill look into the little ceramic heaters, I do have shore power so anything would work, however definitely don't want sparks!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

No to sound like a recording, but if you have shore power, why won't you run the heat? That's what it's there for.