Opinion for a novice boater please....

mike7488

Recruit
Hello all....long time lurker, first time poster.....thanks to all for the valuable info that I have learned so far.
I am in the beginning stages of purchasing my first boat. I have found what I think may be a once in a lifetime find and wanted to ask you all what your opinion is:
Here is what I have found...
1978 Mark Twain 170BR....115hp Evinrude outboard....showroom condition, less than 150hrs. total use....been stored inside, climate controlled it's whole life....interior and exterior are perfect....fuel lines/carbs have been updated to comply with todays fuel....1999 Yacht Club trailer is excellent condition as well....now, my question is: knowing what little I have provided, would any of this make any of you shy away from this sale? It will take somewhere around $4000 to buy the boat......your thoughts please.....

-Mike

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Opinion for a novice boater please....

Sounds like a nice boat but get a test ride first or get a survey done. As old as that boat is their still might be somethings that you are overlooking.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It may be in good shape but that is an old boat and motor. Its certainly not a once in a lifetime great deal. There are a lot of boats available now and if the economy dips again there will be even more real "once in a lifetime deals".

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

"Once in a lifetime finds" mean different things to different people. One thing is for certain -- that once in a lifetime find may turn out to be a very expensive find and pristine condition to one person is different for another. You are dealing with a 33 year old boat and I would assume the engine is also from 1978. While what you see may look pristine, does not mean what you can't see is pristine. Things like rotten stringers and scored cylinders in the engine are just two. That said, there may be absolutely no hidden issues. So my suggestion is this: Since you are in love with this boat, before you buy it, do an on water test and by all means take someone with you that knows boats and engines. This is not the neighbor who changes spark plugs on his boat. Compression and preferably leaddown testing is needed on the engine. A thorough check of the boat for rotten decking, stringers, deteriorating transom, and water soaked foam is essential.

As for price, the motor (if it is ok) and the trailer could be sold separately to offset any disaster with the boat. Is it a good deal, average deal, exceptional deal -- only you can determiine that.

hunter0527

Seaman

my initial thought is, it sounds like a nice boat, but price seems high for that old of a boat. Then again, I dont know much about pricing a boat so...? Im sure the folks on here can give you better info that I can. Is price negotiable?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mark Twains were great, solid, well built boats. That 115 Evinrude is a great motor, should be good power for that size hull, and parts are service are still readily available. The newer trailer is a big plus also. With boats it is definitely worth paying extra for one that was exceptionally maintained. In average condition that boat would only be worth around $1500-$2500 I would think. Only you can decide if the condition warrants the higher price. If everything else you've looked at is crap, I don't think I'd lose any sleep over paying $4k for that rig. You location also plays a part in the pricing. I'd be interested to know where you are. Pics would be nice as well if you have any.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I also agree with Silvertip. For that price, a compression test on the motor is essential as is a rock solid deck and transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

OMG BUY IT! That thing is so sweet! Give the man whatever he wants :p

mike7488

Recruit

Are you being sarcastic or serious?

-Mike

That boat sure looks in great shape. They are nice boats.

I agree with what EZ and Tip said...compression test and a good sea trial. If everything good after that then offer him $3K and go from there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are you being sarcastic or serious?

-Mike

Dead serious. That boat is a time capsule. Amazing. You can pay $2500 for a boat that will probably need another $2k of work, or you can buy that one. I'd buy that one. Drooling over it right now.

mike7488

Recruit

Thanks....one thing that I have to consider is that even though I am not necessarily looking for an older boat...In Kansas, we are taxed at 30% of the boats value....I.E., you can get into a very large tax bill with a newer, higher cost boat. That is one thing that draws me to this peticular unit....it appears to be in perfect shape, would accomidate all that we would want, plus it will cost nothing on the tax roll....plus, If I am going to gamble on any boat...I would much rather pay $4k vs. $12-15k and may have the same issues?

-Mike

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd say he is serious. If thats the way it really shows thats a awsome looking boat. :) Looks like brand new.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

By the way the power trim and tilt unit on that motor is worth $400 by itself.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found that boats like that won't be for sale long so don't hesitate.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with those that think that looks like a great boat. I'd want to at least start it on muffs, knock a screwdriver handle (knuckles also work, but get sore) all over the transom to listen for any "thuds" that could indicate rot, walk all over the floors to feel for any soft spots, and again knock on the inside of the transom or any exposed stringers in the bilge. But it really is possible to find really great, well cared for boats. I found an '88 Sea Ray this summer that was in almost as good condition as this one. Looks like a GREAT find, MOVE FAST!!

Mark Twains were a really good brand, in my experience...

Let us know what you do!

mike7488

Recruit

Just as a follow up....went and looked at the boat tonight....all I can say is the pics do it no justice....this thing is immaculate....unreal....pull the cover off the engine....looks absolutely brand new....feels like your stepping back in time 33 years on a boat showroom somewhere....I could not find a scratch on the hull....trailer was replaced in '99...literally backed into the water to load the boat and not put back into the water until last summer....everything is solid as a rock and engine purrs...well, for a 2 stroke anyway.....now we just have to decide if this is really the boat we want...

-Mike

JimJam

Cadet

Out here in CA (i.e. peoples republic of berkeley) 2-strokes are not allowed on many lakes. Just FYI/IMHO never ever pay asking price; always assume the seller will gladly take 10% off the asking price and this economy for a boat, 20%.