HIN# does not match Title HIN#

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, Huge oversight by me.

Bought the new used boat yestarday, never checked the HIN # on the title with the HIN# on the boat, go to insure the boat today and it tells me the HIN# im reading off the title is not long enough, go check the HIN# on the boat its COMPLETLY differnt. Ask the seller WTF? he says he never noticed. He didnt seam shady. Everything else on the title matches up.

So now what do I do?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: HIN# does not match Title HIN#

I think the dealer may be on the hook for getting you a valid title.

cokeman22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya u better go back quick i have a problem like that am im having a hell of a time regestering it . make sure it all matches

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the dealer may be on the hook for getting you a valid title.

Private party,

previous owner got it from a dealer, he said he needed proof of origin to get it registered. long story short, im going to call DMV tommarow and see what I need. Something similiar happened with my snowmobile trailer and they just needed a copy of the previous owners old registration and a bill of sale, probably will want the same, but It would still be nice to have an accurate title!

seller seams like an honest guy and wants to help me figure it out, just never noticed it when he owned the boat. so we shall see how this ends up. frigan pita!

oldjeep

Admiral

Just for grins check the serial number on the trailer and see if it matches what is on your title.

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just for grins check the serial number on the trailer and see if it matches what is on your title.

Hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD there, thats the number on the title, not sure what that means tho?

oldjeep

Admiral

Hit the NAIL ON THE HEAD there, thats the number on the title, not sure what that means tho?

It means that the guy who filled out the original paperwork screwed up. I had that happen on my first boat. The title for the boat and trailer had the same serial on them (the trailer serial).

Trip to the DMV will clear it up, its actually a lot easier if the serial issue ius explainable.

reelfishin

Captain

I went through the same mess only with an out of state purchase a few years ago.
I finally gave up and treated it like a missing title and followed the instructions I got from the DMV for getting a title for a boat with none. It turned out easier than dealing with trying to get any existing paperwork fixed. When the ran the correct HIN, the boat came back as never being registered anywhere. They issued me a new title after a couple of forms, a notarized bill of sale and state police hull inspection. The whole mess took several months, but if I had gone the final route first, it would have been done in a week.

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went through the same mess only with an out of state purchase a few years ago.
I finally gave up and treated it like a missing title and followed the instructions I got from the DMV for getting a title for a boat with none. It turned out easier than dealing with trying to get any existing paperwork fixed. When the ran the correct HIN, the boat came back as never being registered anywhere. They issued me a new title after a couple of forms, a notarized bill of sale and state police hull inspection. The whole mess took several months, but if I had gone the final route first, it would have been done in a week.

Well that sounds like a PITA!

I just called town hall, they claim that NH does not Title boats, which I thought was odd/possibly incorrect, but she said if I brought a bill of sale with the correct HIN number on it, then I would be able to get it registered.

So thats the plan. I want to get some use out of this thing before the snow starts flying! It would be nice to have a matching title though. Can anyone verify that NH does not Title boats? I may have to call the head DMV to verify that.

Last edited:

Can anyone verify that NH does not Title boats? I may have to call the head DMV to verify that.

You ought to be able to find that on your state DNR (or whatever it's called there) website. There are quite a few states that don't title boats. For instance, Georgia doesn't. When we sell a boat the purchaser sends in the previous owners registration card along with a notarized bill of sale to get a new registration.

(And I really wish all the states could get together and figure out a uniform way of dealing with boat titles/registration).

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

iowa doesnt title below a certain size 17ft i believe on boats and trailers but they are registered and the registration has a bill of sale form on the back side, tho my purchase still included a separate bill of sale...

2000silvers2k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, i was able to register it just fine today, had a correct bill of sale and a copy of the sellers old registration. all set!

trailer cost more to register then the boat did!

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, i was able to register it just fine today, had a correct bill of sale and a copy of the sellers old registration. all set!

trailer cost more to register then the boat did!

Congrats, now get out on the water and enjoy that boat. :)