cleat pulling out!

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice
89 Stratos 279 F/S We use an insanity pylon for wakeboarding which is basically an eight foot pole with a ratchet strap to the bow, and a tie down to each of the stern cleats. One of the cleats has begun to pull up under the continual pressure. The two bottom screw holes are stripped but the top two seem to be holding on. How should I go about repairing this? My first guess is to pull the cleat, clean the holes, fill holes with 5200 cover bottom of cleat with 5200, and screw her back on then let it set up? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hoping to not involve glassing area because the metal flake gel would be hard to match.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: cleat pulling out!

If you can reach the underside (inside) of the gunwale, I would re-install with bolts.
I would add a strip or tube of aluminum to run the bolts thru underneath to distribute the load.
And/or maybe bypass the cleats and anchor to the transom tie down loops instead

rwidman

Lieutenant

A cleat should never be screwed into a boat. This could pull out and shoot back at someone, injuring or killing them.

A cleat must be bolted (through bolted) with some sort of backing to spread the load. Best would be 1/4" aluminum plate a couple inches larger in both directions than the cleat. The least acceptable backing would be stainless steel fender washers under each nut.

Don't screw it back in, drill and use machine screws and a backng plate. Re do the others while you are at it.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure if we can get to the back or not due to the fishing deck and compartments. I'll have to take a look. I'll really be shocked if there's not some sort of backing plate or reinforcement. I was also suprised by the size of the little screws that are holding these cleats on. We can't move to the transom anchors because they are too close together to keep the pylon stable enough. Maybe there are nuts on these little screws that are just spinning when we try to turn them.:confused: I'll have to take a look in the gunnel if possible. Thanks for the advice!