What kind of boat is this?

WriterCJ

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

Seems like a strange question, I know, but I haven't got a clue who manufactured my boat, what year, how heavy she is, etc., etc.

Here's a photo:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OzZAoeETr8G4Ysx9rlCt0ztXH_tyPYoyBvT0KcBORKI?feat=directlink

It was down on the docket as a Shetland, but the guys at www.shetlandboats.co.uk have confirmed that it's not one of theirs. I can't find anything online that matches.

She's a UK fibreglass boat from I'm guessing sometime in the mid 1970's, and is around 5.5 metres long (about 17.5-18ft, give or take).

There appear to be no ID numbers or plates on the hull -- at least not in any of the obvious places.

Any help, pointers or suggestions greatly appreciated. Would be good to find out a bit of info.

Cheers,

Calvin!

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: What kind of boat is this?

It's a red one - beyond that I can't help.

Good luck.

WriterCJ

Seaman Apprentice

It's not going to be red for very much longer... painting her when she's out of the water this autumn, and changing the colour scheme.

Would love to find out what she is... all I've managed to do so far is confirm what she's not :-(.

Cheers,

Calvin!

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

one that floats (hopefully) :D, sorry I couldn't resist either. Sorry, I don't know what kind it is though. Good luck and happy boating.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can't tell you what it is, but I would bet it will be great in rough seas. Not sure how accessable it is where you are, but over on this side of the pond it's easy to go to a gravel pit and get the boat and trailer weighed. Then plop it in the water and go back to have the trailer weighed. That will solve one piece of the puzzle. Good luck with it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We here at iboats have not typically had much luck IDing euro boats. Welcome to the forum though and good luck with it.

WriterCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys... will see if the local council waste centre can weigh it for me.

They have a gizmo there for weighing full trailers on the way in, and empty trailers on the way out, then charging for the difference.

Will ask if I can weigh the empty trailer before I take the boat out of the water in a few weeks, then go back and weigh the whole thing boat and all. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for IDing the boat, not too hopeful, but will post pics to a few UK forums and see how it goes. Will keep you posted if I find out anything.

Cheers,

Calvin!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

As for IDing the boat, not too hopeful, but will post pics to a few UK forums and see how it goes. Will keep you posted if I find out anything.

Looking forward to it.

is there no manufacturer listed on the title/registration?

zip34788

Seaman

Welcome aboard Calvin. Even though we are an ocean apart it great to have you join us.

I certainly wish that I could offer you some assistance in identifying your boat. It has similar lines to some of the canal rental boat I have seen while visiting your beautiful country. You might try contacting the charter people at Le Boat (formerly known as Crown Blue Line and Connoisseur in Europe). They have offices in Ireland.

Best Wishes

WriterCJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks "zip". I have made a bit of progress.

Over on this thread on the UK based Practical Boating forum someone suggested a Picton Domino.

It looks practically identical, so I think that's it -- have e-mailed the company to try and get confirmation. She's a great little boat... very stable on the water. Now I just need to get the engine (1989 Evinrude 20HP that came with the boat) running smoothly and we're sorted.

Thinking a 20HP may be a bit small -- guessing she's a planing boat (new to all this), and not too sure she'll get up on a plane with a 20 on the back, but she's pretty light, so we'll have to see.

No money for a new engine at the moment anyway :(.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Calvin!