Fuel Efficient Cruisers

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel Efficient Cruisers

This is really going to come down to how much are you willing to spend in aquisition costs and are you willing to sacrafice running on plane to save money down the road on fuel?

One option I can think of would be to find a decent used boat that has a blown engine and then repower it with a diesel. Yanmar specifically has gotten into the marine repower scene in a big way, but any repower is never going to be cheap so you'd have to burn a LOT of fuel to ever realize a real ROI. How viable this solution is would depend on if you could find the right boat at and the get it at a very low price due to the blown engine.

There are a few (very few) mainly walk-around cuddy boats in the size range that have diesel engines from the factory. Bayliner / Trophy has offered their Trophy series with a diesel for 4-5 years now, I believe. But would the WAC style be what you want in a boat? And again, finding one at a price you're willing to pay would be an issue.

Would you consider a Ranger Tug? I think it meets most of your criteria, but they have a certain "industrial" style that may / may not appeal.

Grouse

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I went on the same 3 hour return trip twice with my Doral travelling at its planing sweet spot and used about 25 liters (5 gallons?) both times

QC

Supreme Mariner

3 hour return trip twice with my Doral travelling at its planing sweet spot and used about 25 liters (5 gallons?)
I am sorry, but that's impossible. If I am reading this correctly it is an average of less than 2 gallons per hour and could not account for more than 25 - 30 horsepower at best. Check any data, even modern MPIs with even a smaller boat and they do not efficiently plane at less than 7 GPH . . . ;)

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I use 5 gallons warming the motors at the dock!!

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, I didn't really say that correctly as I left out the part that included a portion of the trip along a river that has a 10KPH no wake zone (yeah, I'm an idiot >.<) so, it takes an hour n a half each way, but it's about 15 miles each way.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, I didn't really say that correctly as I left out the part that included a portion of the trip along a river that has a 10KPH no wake zone (yeah, I'm an idiot >.<) so, it takes an hour n a half each way, but it's about 15 miles each way.

So you went 30 miles on 5 gallons at wakeless speed which = 6 mpg. My guess it that you were at about 1500 rpm, I can buy that. How about topping off your tank, bring her up to plane and go 30 miles, then top off the tank. I bet you put in about 15 gallons.

QC

Supreme Mariner

So you went 30 miles on 5 gallons at wakeless speed which = 6 mpg. My guess it that you were at about 1500 rpm, I can buy that.
I can't. They only get 6 MPG at displacement speeds, 1500 RPM would be pushing a pretty big bow wave and I am guessing well below 3 MPG. At less than 1000 RPM, maybe 6, but I am guessing you'd see that kind of MPG only at idle.

How about topping off your tank, bring her up to plane and go 30 miles, then top off the tank. I bet you put in about 15 gallons.
Me too.

I encourage all of you to spend some time looking at data, data, data . . . BoatTest.com has some of the best. You'll find similar weight + similar power + similar speeds = similar economy.

Edit: Here's a good pocket crusier for comparison. http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=2193#Test-Result

Carbed 5.0. Very good (and probably more efficient) comparison to an older 260. This boat has little gear and little extra fuel and no water, so I would be absolutely blown away if a similar, older, carbed 25 footer got even close to these numbers.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

without any doubt a turbodiesel will be MUCH more efficient than a petrol engine. when not available look for a fuel injected petrol engine. and a single engine, not dual installation.

whitecrystal1

Seaman

My Wellcraft gets around 7-8 GPH cruising anywhere between 30-35mph depending on water conditions. My boat dry weighs 4500lbs wich is one of lightest crusiers in it's size, 25'5". Top end I've reached 47.5mph with the wife and I, full fuel and water.

On our Sig 240 cruising at 26 MPH we burn about 5.5 GPH.
That's really good numbers. What rpms are you running to achive this? I run mine anywhere between 3000-3500, this is the range I was always told the engine is most economical.

ALEX333

Recruit

Take a look at the XENOCRAFT X-50. Its the most fuel efficient 50 ft cabin cruiser in the world and its under 100K.

Hi,

Does anyone know if any manufactures produce economical (fuel efficient) 24-26 ft cabin cruisers? Most cabin cruisers in this price range consume about 10-12 gallons/hour. I am willing to sacrifice some speed (willing to go with let's say 12-15kt/hour) to save fuel and operate.

I know that dieseled engine cruisers are not common in this size range.

Inflatable RIBs are more economical, but they do not have cuddy cabins.

Kind regards!