Fuel Efficient Cruisers

Re: Fuel Efficient Cruisers

my boat is ~6k loaded as normal. i can boat all day through the ca delta(5-6 hours cruising ) usually 27 mph (gps) which is 3000 rpm. 350 vortec mercruiser TR drive, 18.25 x 19p prop. ill burn 15-20 gallons all day.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I give up . . . that right there ^^^ is 4 gallons an hour if I use the most conservative numbers given. A state of the art 2.0 liter 115 bhp diesel uses more fuel than that.

Triton II

Commander

I give up . . . that right there ^^^ is 4 gallons an hour if I use the most conservative numbers given. A state of the art 2.0 liter 115 bhp diesel uses more fuel than that.

Don't blame you QC. My 20ft aluminium cuddy with an F115 burns 23 litres or about 6 US gallons an hour at 22kts (25 mph). It'll do 35 kts (40 mph) WOT which is pretty quick for a 2800lb boat with only 115hp, so it's an efficient hull. Pred02, I think you're being overly optimistic if you think there's a boat out there that can fulfil your fuel vs size vs performance needs, but nevertheless I wish you all the best of luck mate, let us know what you get and show us some pics of her! Cheers,

TII

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my boat is ~6k loaded as normal. i can boat all day through the ca delta(5-6 hours cruising ) usually 27 mph (gps) which is 3000 rpm. 350 vortec mercruiser TR drive, 18.25 x 19p prop. ill burn 15-20 gallons all day.

that's no less than 6.75 and up to 10.8 mpg..... I call B.S.
No way a 6000 lb boat gets that mpg at 27 mph..... MAYBE at idle speed...

tommays

Admiral

When i had the Maxum 2000SC with 3.0 which is a small 19.5 cuddy cabin when using the GPS with fuel flow and a LIGHT load it was a tricky to touch 5 MPG at about 25 MPH

The least bit of weather/chop etc would drop you towards 4 MPG and if it was rough day one the way home and you had to slow down to say 10 MPH it could go down to 1 MPG :eek:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

When i had the Maxum 2000SC with 3.0 which is a small 19.5 cuddy cabin when using the GPS with fuel flow and a LIGHT load it was a tricky to touch 5 MPG at about 25 MPH

The least bit of weather/chop etc would drop you towards 4 MPG and if it was rough day one the way home and you had to slow down to say 10 MPH it could go down to 1 MPG :eek:

Thanks for providing something believable... :)

Keith7481

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the duoprop is the key. Last month we went from Albany to NYC, about 120 miles, averaged 24mph and I used 50 gallons. I have a 5.0 OMC on a boat that weighs 4400 unloaded, with the volvo DP, worked out to about 8 gph.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A friend of mine has a 26 ft. Tollycraft with a 165hp volvo diesle with a 280 leg,gets about 5 mpg (imperial gallons) at 14 knots, pretty good if your not in a big hurry. Slightly better at 6 knots

QC

Supreme Mariner

That Aspen is very cool despite it's oddness . . . Oddness? Whatever, it's definitely a little weird, but might fit the bill.

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

probably been stated before , but here goes

i was talking to the guy next to me at the marina recently and he was asking about my boats

economy, i told him i burn 50 litres per hour at cruise, he thought that was high.

he then went on to say that he burns only 25 litres per hour

i have twin 4.3 efi,s and he has twin 90hp 4 stroke outboards. similar sized boats mine a mono hul his a twin hull (cat)

then he tells me he cruises at 14 / 16 mph, and i run around 28 mph

so seems to me he may use 1/2 the fuel per hour BUT it takes him twice as long to get there.

for me that is 27 miles, 14 gallons = about 1.9 miles to the US gallon

so it all evens out

Mark SF

Seaman

The Cal 25 sailboat I was sailing at the weekend uses about a gallon every 2 hours on the outboard, doing about 6 knots. Then of course you're sailing most of the time and using no fuel at all.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you want a boat that only moves when the winds blowing or the tide is strong.youre going to be burning fuel and a lot of it!.NATURE OF THE BEAST.And,when you start pushing 26ft or more,forget about it.The most efficient boat out there will probably never be found,although many kid themselves into thinking they own it!All left to say to the OP is find a boat that you like,while using common sense and reasoning for size/weight of boat and the hp necessary to fit YOUR needs,learn how to operate it in the most economical manner while still fulfilling your needs and live with it.If you cant do that or its not good enough then you SERIOUSLY need to explore finding another hobby.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

A recent desing challenge for boat builders was most pleasure at 2gph.

Read Here

While NONE of these boats are on the market - the industry is paying attention...

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a 24 ft. pocket cruiser with a 5.0 MPI:

Bayliner 245

3500 RPM
24.1 MPH
10.9 GPH
2.22 MPG

I can believe these numbers. I have a fuel sensor on my 24' Rinker 242 (6000 lbs) with a 350 mag and B3 and I have done extensive test runs to get GPH and MPG. The best mpg while on plane is 2.2 -2.4 mpg depending on sea and wind conditions. 4500 rpm = 16 gph, WOT = 20 gph, 3600-3800 = 14 gph.

Bottom line is a planning cruiser (enclosed head, bow table/ berth, galley, aft berth, fresh water tank...) will not meet the OPs specs.

pred02

Seaman

Unless you want a boat that only moves when the winds blowing or the tide is strong.youre going to be burning fuel and a lot of it!.NATURE OF THE BEAST.And,when you start pushing 26ft or more,forget about it.The most efficient boat out there will probably never be found,although many kid themselves into thinking they own it!All left to say to the OP is find a boat that you like,while using common sense and reasoning for size/weight of boat and the hp necessary to fit YOUR needs,learn how to operate it in the most economical manner while still fulfilling your needs and live with it.If you cant do that or its not good enough then you SERIOUSLY need to explore finding another hobby.

I do not think this is a fair argument take a look here. This guy is 25ft length, has accommodations, burns 25l/h at 14-16 knots/hour. It does have a diesel engine and is built for the European market.

I am looking to buy the a boat for the European market, where fuel is at $6/gallon, distances are smaller, and less speed is ok in sacrifice for fuel economy. However, as I live in the US it would be easier and cheaper if I can find such a boat in the US however it seems that might be very difficult as most boats in that configuration consume a lot more.

Again, as other posters pointed there are exceptions (C-Dory) however there are not enough of them on the used market to get a good discount deal (versus buying in Europe).