would you go with a 16ft bowrider this distance?

lazersnake

Seaman
Re: would you go with a 16ft bowrider this distance?

Ok, most of you guys are not invited on my annual fishing trip to NW Ontario. :)

We turn off the trans Canada and go 45 miles (2 hours) on logging roads, then 4 miles on a "less than logging road." That is where the "resort" is. From there, 7 miles on logging road to the river dump off. Down the river a few miles, cross a 3 mile lake, further down the river, cross another lake, then have lunch and start to fish.
On any day, we are 4-8 hours from the nearest hospital, and as far from a cell tower.
We take a plastic tarp, extra rope, and matches just in case.
No cell, sat phone, or vhf, as there is no one to hear it, no epirb.
We do tell the camp owners what lake we are fishing, and if we are not back by dark, they will come looking for us the next day.

imraan47, take at least 12 gallons of fuel, a good anchor, and some water.
Have a nice trip.

What lake is it? I live in the area. Maybe I can point out some fishing holes if I know the lake...

Cheers!

Jack

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks alot for all your input.
I wont be able to go down because turns out i have to be at work. So that sucks big time.
i will probably go after work but by car. i will post if i have any pics if that camera is working.
thanks

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Too bad you can't boat over. Weather permitting Lake Ontario is great for boating. You are on the leeward side for the prevailing winds so you'll have more nice days than our friends to the south.
You really should pick a nice day and try it out. Bring a GPS and compass, because fog happens. Marine radio is a good idea but cell phone in a watertight bag is better than nothing. Check the marine weather for wave height and wind forecast before you leave. Study a chart, know the shoals and harbours along the way. It's always nice to know who sells gas and where you can take shelter if it gets rough.
I run the lake whenever I can. 50 miles would be my longest day trip in the open lake last year. Yesterday, neighbourhood visitors from England wanted to see a lighthouse so I took them out to Scotch Bonnet island. It's about the same distance in the open lake as your trip would be. It was a really nice evening. We got back after dark.