would you go with a 16ft bowrider this distance?

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a in water boat show at port credit harbor marina next weekend. I wanted to go for the first time but by boat. I have a 16" bowrider, 120hp merc.
I was wondering if its safe enough to go that distance from say Toronto islands which is basically where my boat is. Here is a map of the distance by road

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sour....594068,-79.488487&spn=0.175049,0.304527&z=12

Is this a risk with my boat being so small or shouldn't be any problems?. what kind of things should i be prepared for to cover this distance (of course gas i know lol)

Thanks

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: would you go with a 16ft bowrider this distance?

I dont see why not (weather permitting) I have taken my boat 80+ miles and its only 16.5 ft.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Depending on the conditions I would make the trip, but be safe. Do you have a bow cover? That is one item that would make me feel better about it.

If the wind is out of the west or north the conditions should be reasonable. Should the wind shift and come from the E or SE it looks like that area could pick up some good swells.

I'm used to Lake Huron though which is deeper than Ontario.

Good luck to ya:)

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as the weather is good you should be ok.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I couldn't tell from the map but what is it? A couple of hundred miles?

Well, a number of years ago, I piloted a 15 footer up the Hudson, through Lake Champlain, through the Chambly Canal and down the St. lawrence Seaway to the Eisenhower locks.

Granted the Great Lake is much bigger water, but if the weather is good and you stay near shore in case of a blow-up, you should be OK. Trick is to research the forcasts and then, keep out a weather eye. Slightest hint of foul weather and hightail it for safe haven.

If you do decide to try it, use the 1/3 rule for fuel or in this case stretch it and say, fill up every half tank. If you have room for it, an emergency kicker and a separate plastic tank is good for peace of mind.

Just remember that boating is much different than riding in an auto. You will probably feel beat-up and need to recuperate after the ride.

However, If the weather cooperates and you do have a good trip, you will remember it for years to come.

Just e certain you have enough safety gear, enough line, a couple of anchors, plenty of food and drink and a good source of shade (bimini or other). A change of clothes helps comfort too.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'd try it, why not? Again, like everyone else, weather-weather-weather. I'll be following this thread to see how you make out. I too have a 16' bowrider & wonder the same things. Be safe & let me know how you make out.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I couldn't tell from the map but what is it? A couple of hundred miles?

Looks like 15-20 miles from my rough estimation. If the water is flat you can make that trip in less than an hour.

Keep an eye on the depth, if i's anything like Lake Huron there will be large boulders sticking out randomly. Try to get a good chart if you don't have GPS.

koberlee

Seaman

I would go for it, we have a 16 foot bowrider that we take every where. It is just reel slow if the waves pick up.

Map out fuel stops and if it is your first long trip carry a small can of gas with you for an emergency reserve. It's hard to judge the distance a tank will get you if have not gone long distances before

bekosh

Lieutenant

The Google measuring tool says that it's 10 miles/16 kilometers as the crow flies. 12 miles/20 kilometers if you hug the shoreline.

As long as the wind isn't out of the south or east, that would be an easy run. I also counted 4 marinas along the way that you could duck into if conditions changed.

Go for it! :D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The Google measuring tool says that it's 10 miles/16 kilometers as the crow flies. 12 miles/20 kilometers if you hug the shoreline.

As long as the wind isn't out of the south or east, that would be an easy run. I also counted 4 marinas along the way that you could duck into if conditions changed.

Go for it! :D

He isn't exactly crossing the atlantic... Its 10 miles, and that boat should be able to do 40 mph in good conditions. That's a 15 minute sprint! Hardly worth getting too concerned about.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

He isn't exactly crossing the atlantic... Its 10 miles, and that boat should be able to do 40 mph in good conditions. That's a 15 minute sprint! Hardly worth getting too concerned about.

+1

Geez it's 10-15 miles, should he take an EPIRB and sattelite phone for this epic journey?? :rolleyes:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yeah Lake Ontario never gets rough...and the wind doesn't change direction quickly either:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if everyone is familiar with the big lakes, but this is what you can run into on Lake Ontario.

Attachments

• lakeontario.jpg
    lakeontario.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Yeah Lake Ontario never gets rough...and the wind doesn't change direction quickly either:rolleyes:

I'm not sure if everyone is familiar with the big lakes, but this is what you can run into on Lake Ontario.

never made it up there, but I'm guessing it won't go from good weather/clear horizon (this pic), to yours, in 15 minutes.

Obviously if it looks like your pic when you leave, you have other issues!

Moody Blue

Captain

For sure Huron Angler. These waters are not to be taken lightly. Not like boating on a small lake or river. It can and does get rough quickly. I've boated on lake Ontario for a number of years and 3-4 ft swells are common in a light wind but not uncomfortable. Let the wind pick up and you're in for a rough ride and you better be prepared.

I did get caught once in a storm traveling between port Weller and Jordan Harbour on the south shore of lake Ontario. Bright calm morning so we headed out fishing about 4 miles off shore. Storm came up out of nowhere and within 15 minutes all hell broke loose. Were forced to cruise dead slow into the waves which were breaking over the bow and windshield, the prop then practically coming out of the water when the wave crested. Scary 30 minute ride ride till the storm passed and we made it back safely but we both put our PFD's on fearing the worst.

To the original poster, go for it. It's not that far and there are plenty of places to take shelter in if you need to. A GPS with marine charts or set of paper charts would be a good idea but not really necessary. Check the marine weather forecast before deciding to go or not. They will give wind speeds/direction and wave conditions. There will be lots of boat traffic along that stretch of water so you won't be alone. Do take along an emergency gas supply and the basic safety equipment and you will be fine.

towtruck1

Seaman

Why not plan to make the trip in segments, from one marina to the next until you get there. If all looks good as you approach a stop, then keep going.

BTW, be prepared to stay (arrange for lodging) once you get there! The weather might let you get there but not back!

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

File a float plan and checking times. Hand held VHF, cell, flairs/smoke. Might consider joining at sea tow service.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, most of you guys are not invited on my annual fishing trip to NW Ontario. :)

We turn off the trans Canada and go 45 miles (2 hours) on logging roads, then 4 miles on a "less than logging road." That is where the "resort" is. From there, 7 miles on logging road to the river dump off. Down the river a few miles, cross a 3 mile lake, further down the river, cross another lake, then have lunch and start to fish.
On any day, we are 4-8 hours from the nearest hospital, and as far from a cell tower.
We take a plastic tarp, extra rope, and matches just in case.
No cell, sat phone, or vhf, as there is no one to hear it, no epirb.
We do tell the camp owners what lake we are fishing, and if we are not back by dark, they will come looking for us the next day.

imraan47, take at least 12 gallons of fuel, a good anchor, and some water.
Have a nice trip.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I launch in Mississauga (Lakefront Promenade). It has an excellent ramp/parking, and is a little closer to where you are heading. That said I've run from there to toronto Islands and back a few times on my little 14'. It was terrible if the wind is right. As the others have mentioned, if the wind is coming off the shore it's pretty smooth and you can hug the shore line. So no bubbles no troubles. HOWEVER, if there is even a slight wind off the water it can get hairy fast. There's a few sections were you will get reflected waves from the hulls of the ships that they use as walkways (sunken hulls used as parkettes or docking or something). When the wind comes from the water, it'll get super scary there if you aren't used to it, as you will get 2-3 footers from all directions. Only if the wind comes off the water though (any southerly direction). Basically keep a sharp eye on weather reports. There are a lot of sheltered inlets, but there are open areas that have no where to shelter, a shore line of huge rocks and chunks of concrete. It is a short trip as others have stated, but the lake can change from beautiful sunny day to horror within an hour. Depth is not a problem, a short distance from the shore runs about 30-60'. Just keep an eye on your depth in the harbours and parks.

My 20' handles this just fine, and your 16' is right between the two. I don't expect you will have any problems weather permitting. Night time is a bit tricky though, at lot of those piers and such are not lit, and there is one spot where two long man made pier type things come out several hundred feet from shore...you can't see them at all a night..and I almost hit one the first time out at night. Also there are a tonne of unlit markers and bouy's that the sailing clubs put out. So be careful if you are heading back after dark (we head to the fireworks and air shows every year).

That said, I routinely see little tinny's and jet boats and jet skiiers out there all the time. Make a few trips out there in good weather to get the feel for it. The area is routinely patrolled by both the OPP and Harbor Police, be sure to have all your gear as required by law..and your boaters card. :p

I also grew up on Lake Huron (Sarnia/Port Huron) and can say that Lake Ontario is no better.

Ian

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is just a few miles. Have at it!!!!

I've spent hunderds of hours on Lake Erie and the Gulf of Mexico in a 16 ft boat. Obviously you don't go out in bad weather. Enjoy your trip to the show.