Be careful what you ask for.... funny story.

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There's a woman that sits with my group at a place where I frequently drink beer and eat wings while waiting for the weekend to arrive. She has been griping and complaining for months about her husband being a jerk about their impending divorce which she thought was going to be a pretty amicable split, and they had already started separating the property. You know the usual..... she wants the china and the dinette... he wants the yard tools and the wide screen HD tv... etc..

Well most of the stuff got split like you would expect with two exceptions.... $80,000 worth of antique jewelry which was being sold to a dealer, and a $75,000 Center Console boat. She said she just expected that his half of the money for the jewelry would go to her to pay her for her half of the boat. No big deal, right? Well it didn't quite go as expected and HIS attorney actually got a joint custody crappy deal with the boat, whereas BOTH of them would own the boat while the boat was being advertised to be sold, but here's where HIS attorney earned his money......

....he got the deal written that if the boat was NOT sold within the one year period, they would just have joint usage of the boat. (Kind of like a custody agreement) Of, course, she has no interest whatsoever in owning any part of the boat. She's only been on the damn thing twice in the year or so that they have owned it. And here's POINT TWO of the deal.... (The judge, and her attorney obviously has never owned a boat) The boat was to be advertised for the SAME PRICE THAT THEY HAD PAID FOR IT NEW!!! LMAO

I literally laughed out loud when she told me this. If they paid $75k, they'd be lucky to get an offer of $65k, and he wouldn't have to sell it for any less than that. I told her unless she wanted to use the boat, she got screwed on that deal. Now it gets good......

I saw her a couple weeks later and asked her how things were going with the boat. She started laughing.... then she said, "well I didn't like my side of the boat, so I drilled about 100 holes in it with my new drill."

Be careful what you ask for........

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Be careful what you ask for.... funny story.

She may be laughing now but when she has to take the boat and give him 1/2 the money, she may not be so jovial. You can't ruin 1/2 a hull. She now owns the boat and assuming she still has the proceeds from the jewelry, it's now his. I wouldn't be surprised if the authorities consider it criminal as well and charge her for the act of damaging the community property...

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I call bs. I swear I've read this story several times before....:p

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, there are a thousand versions of that story floating around.