Trying to find particular anchor type?

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Couple of weeks ago I was reading about a new type of anchor that seemed very interesting. I lost my anchor last night and I can't remember the name brand of that anchor I was looking at. I was a strange looking beast but the video looked very promising. It had some sort of mechanism that allowed the rope to slide up and down the side of the anchor for easier retrievals. One of the spots where I fish is very rocky and hard on anchors.

Anybody out there heard of such a beast? I would appreciate any info.

Thanks in advance,

SM

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Trying to find particular anchor type?

Couple of weeks ago I was reading about a new type of anchor that seemed very interesting. I lost my anchor last night and I can't remember the name brand of that anchor I was looking at. I was a strange looking beast but the video looked very promising. It had some sort of mechanism that allowed the rope to slide up and down the side of the anchor for easier retrievals. One of the spots where I fish is very rocky and hard on anchors.

Anybody out there heard of such a beast? I would appreciate any info.

Thanks in advance,

SM

I suggest you get out your West Marine catalog and look at the different anchor styles that are available. There is also some basic advice on selecting and using an anchor.

As for a video looking promising, of course it did, it was an advertisement for a particular brand of anchor.

There are three or four designs that have withstood the test of time. They work and they work well. Check the catalog and check with other boaters in your area. They will know what works.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suggest you get out your West Marine catalog and look at the different anchor styles that are available. There is also some basic advice on selecting and using an anchor.

As for a video looking promising, of course it did, it was an advertisement for a particular brand of anchor.

There are three or four designs that have withstood the test of time. They work and they work well. Check the catalog and check with other boaters in your area. They will know what works.

Thanks and you're right about the advertising. Funny how I've told people not to believe everything they see or read and I fell for the same.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Thanks and you're right about the advertising. Funny how I've told people not to believe everything they see or read and I fell for the same.

You're welcome.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you talking about something like this?

Slip-Ring-Penetrating-Anchor

My very first anchor was this type. It worked fine until the river changed directions and then the ring would slip down toward the flukes, get tangled there, and then pull the anchor loose. I got rid of that one.

Wayne

P.S. This was on the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers in northern California. The rivers will change direction with the tides for probably 100 miles inland. I assume the same thing could happen if the winds changed directions on you.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Our 18ft boat has a slip ring fluke anchor and it works great on our lake. If the wind is constantly changing directions this type of anchor may not be best for you though.