primer bulb

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Ive read primer should be as close to eng. as possible.I installed mine after the new fuel/water filter.is this correct.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: primer bulb

That's how I have mine. Been working that way for a few years now.

robert graham

Admiral

I have my primer bulb between the tank and the water/fuel separator so I can use primer to refill my filter cartridge after I dump it or change it. But if yours works O.K. like you got it, no need to worry about it

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

mine is near the engine, but then thats where i sit, i keep it in reach

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

R G i had a hard time getting the new primer/filter primed when i installed it.will this happen again when i change the filter?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The primer bulb is sucking the fuel from the tank when you release it and pushing fuel when compressed.
The primer bulb works best with the arrow pointed up allowing the check valve to close properly.
I figure I can compress the bulb and thus create more psi than the bulb can create vacuum.
Thus I put the bulb upstream of the filter/water seperator.

With engine running, the bulb will not be as firm as when you primed it.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Very interesting.i think ill switch it w the filter change.I filled the filter,3/4 or so w gas before install, but still had a hard time getting gas to the motor first time.does anyone else do this?i thought it might save some squeezing,and I always try to do oil filters this way.

gss036

Commander

My primer bulb has been between the filter and engine for the past 20 years and works great that way. The secret is to hold the bulb up and arrow pointing up, 4-5 squeezes and you have gas flowing.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

my bulb is vertical,It has worked fine for 6 months.I am ready to change filtr for the first time and it took forever to get the gas to the motor the first time thru maybe 8 ft of hose including under the cowl.or maybe i had a leak as i did use teflon tape on the threads for the fittings,oops.although I checked all connections well,a month or so later I saw the tape turn brown on one of the fittings,oops.I changed to paste. and retightened every clamp. cant remember if it was hard to prime the second time C R S.Makes sense it would push thru filter better than pull wbulb especially a cold 30 degree day and be easier to prime.also i mounted the filter to be level when floating so its tipped slightly on the trailer.if that matters.1st time I ended up removing filter mount and holding it 2 feet below the tank to finally get it primed. also hit the starter to get the pump to help!

Last edited:

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Bulb between the fuel/water separator and the motor, keeps the crap out of the bulb as well as the motor...

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

thats why i installed it that way the first time.but im more worried about ethanol/water than debris now.I have a portable 12 gal tank and have never found anything solid or unusal in there looking in filler when almost empty and tilting the tank to see whats in there.I could also reach the bulb from the drivers seat if i move it upstream.i tried to use the least amount of hose possible and mounted the filtr on the port side of the fuel/battery compartment.closer to the grommet?I dont think it would fit anywhere else anyway!.also i have a 2nd factory engine mounted basket type filter.I use the boat in winter for hunting and notice the bulb can get stiff and slow to expand when cold, but i can still squeeze it hard.I think im gonna move it.