This can't be good...

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just drilled some holes in the back of the boat to install a transducer and water came out the hole. (still running as you see) There is no water in the bilge as I had pulled the plug earlier. The spider/stress cracks are new. I found stress cracks mid hull that were new also.

Floor is solid. First summer with the boat so I don't know the history, but when I got it there wasn't a crack on it.

IMG_5942.jpg
[/IMG]

robert graham

Admiral
Re: This can't be good...

If your transom has a wood core then it's got to be just a matter of time before it rots out from the inside. Maybe just keep an eye on it for any weakness, cracks, soft spots, or you could go ahead and rebuild the transom. It would depend on how much and where you use the boat, also.

badkins50

nope. not good at all. good luck. i'd go ahead start getting ready for a rebuild

paulspaddle

Ok, now I may have made a mistake on the moisture. On further inspection the inside hole I made just by chance hit the absolute very bottom of the inside of the bilge. There is just a touch of water there which would be normal.

The bilge plug is 1/8-1/4 from the bottom of the bilge floor so I believe the moisture was draining that few ounces of water.

The outside hole was on the outside of the bilge wall. No moisture. In fact I missed the wood on that one unfortunately so I can't tell from a core sample.

In general are stress cracks a concern or to be expected from a 20 year old boat?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe you did drill into the bilge, maybe not. Best thing to do is going to be to drill another hole, maybe a bit higher, definitely away from the bilge, and see if that's wet inside.

j_martin

Admiral

Don't poke it full of holes. Just tap on it. Solid wood behind fiberglass has one sound, and water, rot, hollow, has a different sound. Hard to explain, but easy to discern.

If you have soft spots, start making plans to completely replace the transom, and maybe stringers. It's a major project, so it's good to try to get it done in the off season.

hope it helps
John

paulspaddle

Don't poke it full of holes. Just tap on it. Solid wood behind fiberglass has one sound, and water, rot, hollow, has a different sound. Hard to explain, but easy to discern.

If you have soft spots, start making plans to completely replace the transom, and maybe stringers. It's a major project, so it's good to try to get it done in the off season.

hope it helps
John

I hear you....not interested in poking holes below the waterline. Everything seems solid.

That leak got me worried, but when I realized where it came from I'm less worried.

Nice aviator John....maybe Red Green has a good solution? :D

mphy98

Lieutenant

I would silicone up the inside of those holes from the inside as to prevent bilge water from getting to the wood transom. It will act like a sponge and wick up water... eventually to a rotted transom.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

MarineTex or epoxy the holes. Silicone will not hold up below the water line.

Moody Blue

Captain

Ok, now I may have made a mistake on the moisture. On further inspection the inside hole I made just by chance hit the absolute very bottom of the inside of the bilge. There is just a touch of water there which would be normal.

The bilge plug is 1/8-1/4 from the bottom of the bilge floor so I believe the moisture was draining that few ounces of water.

The outside hole was on the outside of the bilge wall. No moisture. In fact I missed the wood on that one unfortunately so I can't tell from a core sample.

In general are stress cracks a concern or to be expected from a 20 year old boat?

How deep did you drill ? Right through the wood core and out the other side ? Must be one big @ss transducer you're going to hang on there :D

paulspaddle

MarineTex or epoxy the holes. Silicone will not hold up below the water line.

Yup, filled the holes with a Marine adhesive and sealer. (don't have the product with me at the moment....3M product)

howlnmad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope that 3m product was 5200 being that it's below the waterline. Just saying.