should I buy???

mudflap97

Recruit
I am new to boating and looking at a 2001 180 Chapparal. It has a 135hp Volvo i/o with 280 hours on it. The seller told me that it needs a gimbal bearing, I priced this out for about $500. He said that there is a rattle sound when it starts up.
My question is what are the chances that it needs more than the bearing and how can I check on it? If it is more, what kind of money are we talking about? The boat is very clean overall.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: should I buy???

If the gimble is bad the bellows are bad (but they were included in your price I'll bet...they normally are NOT reused and you have to take them off to get at the Gimble. The u joints maybe bad as well (add about 100 bucks to your estimate). If the gimble is REALY bad it could have done some damage to the housing (repair price depends on how bad damage is...I doubt this is the case though).

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What is causing the rattle sound that the seller mentioned? Is it the valves rattling until the oil pressure gets up or is it the gimbal bearing making the rattle sound?

mudflap97

Recruit

Seaboo - thanks for the detailed response, that gives me a little better idea of what I am getting into.

Rebars1 - I haven't listened to the boat run yet. I have an appointment to go hear it early this week. I will be sure to listen close to the head for valve sound.

Would it also make sense to replace the water pump at the time of the gimbal bearing service?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Would it also make sense to replace the water pump at the time of the gimbal bearing service?

Most definitely...the part itself is cheap as long as its all torn down do that too.

TilliamWe

Banned

Most definitely...the part itself is cheap as long as its all torn down do that too.

Volvo water pumps are on the front of the engine, so it all being torn down has no bearing on that.
The "rattling" noise can be a few different things. Experienced mechanic just "know" the differences. Hard to explain to you over the internet what the differences are between them, though. $500 to replace a gimbal bearing sounds awfully high. Unless you're talking about replacing bellows too.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Volvo water pumps are on the front of the engine, so it all being torn down has no bearing on that.
The "rattling" noise can be a few different things. Experienced mechanic just "know" the differences. Hard to explain to you over the internet what the differences are between them, though. $500 to replace a gimbal bearing sounds awfully high. Unless you're talking about replacing bellows too.

Thanks for pointing that out....that being said should he replace it?

bwoodtx

Cadet

You might find someone to do a marine survey. If he didn't replace the gimbal bearning when he knew it was bad, what else did he neglect? JMHO...Good luck!

TilliamWe

Banned

You might find someone to do a marine survey. If he didn't replace the gimbal bearning when he knew it was bad, what else did he neglect? JMHO...Good luck!

I agree.
And Mr. Wilson, yes as "easy" as a VP pump is to reach on the front of the motor, no reason not to change the impeller, if you have NO IDEA how long it's been in there.

mudflap97

Recruit

Well I didn't buy it... I learned a lot more about what to ask a seller before driving 2 hours to go see a boat. The interior of the boat and upper hull were in great shape, and those are the pictures he shared with me. The lower unit was covered with barnacles, prop was chipped and the bottom of the hull was very dirty. After he started the engine, I knew it was time to walk away. It sounded like someone was shaking a metal box filled with rocks!:eek: As the RPM went up, the noise got louder and faster. Not something I was willing to pay NADA value for.
Still looking!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well I didn't buy it... I learned a lot more about what to ask a seller before driving 2 hours to go see a boat. The interior of the boat and upper hull were in great shape, and those are the pictures he shared with me. The lower unit was covered with barnacles, prop was chipped and the bottom of the hull was very dirty. After he started the engine, I knew it was time to walk away. It sounded like someone was shaking a metal box filled with rocks!:eek: As the RPM went up, the noise got louder and faster. Not something I was willing to pay NADA value for.
Still looking!

If you find a boat you really, really like, go back with a mechanic/surveyor. Many horrible-sounding noises can turn out to be a simple fix, while a drivetrain with no visible/audible issues can in fact have significant problems.

I don't know what a noisy gimbal bearing sounds like, either... but 'what if' it sounds like someone shaking a can full of rocks? Point being, if you aren't experienced with I/O's (I'm not either) it's hard to know what's a 'big deal' and what isn't.

My .02

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mudflap,

Where are you at? If you were anywhere near me, I would be glad to lend an "ear" with you.

I like looking at boats with people and helping out. My first boat purchase was a great experience. The owner/seller actually took me out and "taught" me a lot before I bought the boat. And he and his family went out for a few more times after just to be sure I was OK with it. (That was in '92)

I learned a lot from that and have continued learning over the years. I have tried to do the same since then. I know people and have heard of people getting taken and it IRKS the HE!! out of me. In fact, I am going tomorrow with a guy to help him decide on a boat that is about 100 miles away.

I know there are members on iboats that feel the same way. Don't be afraid to ask.

Best of luck to you.

Thad

mudflap97

Recruit

Thad,
Thanks for the offer, that is very generous of you. Unfortunately, I live in Delaware and that is very far from you. Hopefully I will find the right boat in my search.