Illegal to fuel boat in the water?

louiss3000

Cadet
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Broward county Florida. A friend from work went down to his boat, wet slipped at a local marina. Found the fuel fill cap off, and the tank empty enough the gauge would not move. He retrieved a 5-gallon jerry can from his truck, and began to put the fuel in the boat.

A local law officer (maybe I shouldn't say which agency, but not FWC) came walking along the dock and ordered him to stop, stating it was illegal to do that. After some discussion, and possibly some 'words' were exchanged, the officer wrote him a warning.

I have searched FWC, googled Florida Boating Rules, and various forums, but cannot find a definitive answer. Is it illegal to do this in Florida?

Thanks,
LS

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Illegal to fuel boat in the water?

Any citation or warning from a LEO should include the violated statute or law on the form.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

I would guess that what the officer had in mind was your friend's failure to utilize some "fuel spill mitigation device" such as catch basin for the vent and a rag around the fuel fill. Picky, picky, picky for a 5 gallon fill.

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are lakes in California where refueling boat on water is strictly prohibited. The only way to fuel a boat is to put it on a trailer.

B

korygrandy

There are better uses for our tax dollars.

louiss3000

Cadet

Any citation or warning from a LEO should include the violated statute or law on the form.

I asked him that, says it's not legible. He's going to bring it to work tomorrow. Having the actual statute number would solve it.

As Pez Vela suggested it may have been a catch can type issue.

LS

TerryMSU

Possible answer... Several years ago we rented a houseboat on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. You were not allowed (by fire marshall) to fuel from a gas can on the dock.

TerryMSU

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

At my marina, it's expressly stated that no fueling is to be done on the docks, only at the GAS dock by supposedly trained personnel who several times a year fill up someone's rod holder. It's a spillage issue and a Fire Marshall requirement. Yep you get a ticket if caught.

Jeep Man

Commander

A super siphon is a fixture on my boat. Guaranteed to fill without a spill, and cheap to boot.

soaringhiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where was the LEO when the fuel was being taken out of the boat, or is that legal there? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

blifsey

At campgrounds on lake we frequent folks that bring PWC always fill them from can at campsite. Many have trailers adapted to carry 5 to 10 5-gallon gas cans.

Totally opposite of a reply above, the workers at marinas on 3 or 4 lakes I've been too are NOT ALLOWED to put fuel in your boat. They help you get docked and bring the nozzle to you to fuel.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

It is important to note that the original poster was requesting information on Florida laws. Each state is going to have their own rules for this subject, and it would be unwise to assume the laws of one state reflect the laws of all.

I have searched, admittedly in a limited way, but was unable to locate a law forbidding refueling at the dock.

However, marinas can and do set their own rules, and there are laws aimed at carrying extra fuel on boats in improper containers.

A call to an attorney would resolve this issue. I would not pay this ticket without going to court. Let the judge decide, and if the original ticket is not legible then the judge will have a hard time determining the applicable law that was broken. If that's the case then he may very well let you off. Do not assist him in the determining of the offense, claim confusion if need be.

Just my opinion, not based on experience, and you will need to make your own decision.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

It is not illegal in Florida to fill a boat while in the water. There are thousands of fuel depots on the water and tens of thousands of boats that don't fit on trailers.

Some (most) marinas have regulations against putting fuel in the boat while at the dock due to the other boats in the immediate area (hazard probability) and the lack of necessary items to contain an accidental spill (hazard mitigation). If his boat was out of fuel, the marina would have been happy to (or even obligated to) tow him to the fuel dock. That's where they have the fire extinguishers, spill hogs, detergent, etc for spill control.

The officer didn't write him a ticket, just a warning.

There's only 1 "L" in Fire Marshal.

It is important to note that the original poster was requesting information on Florida laws. Each state is going to have their own rules for this subject, and it would be unwise to assume the laws of one state reflect the laws of all.

Very true. There are some instances where I feel it would be better to have laws which are uniform nationwide so that as you go from one state to another you're going to know what the rules are.

A call to an attorney would resolve this issue. I would not pay this ticket without going to court.

There was no ticket issued:
After some discussion, and possibly some 'words' were exchanged, the officer wrote him a warning.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And some marinas just want to sell you the fuel so they ban refueling from cans within the marina.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

locally, none of the marinas will allow you to pump your own gas. full service only. (almost always done by a not-so-bad-on-the-eyes college aged girl. :D ) None of them have any issue with bringing in your own gas cans, just don't fuel up on the marina's main dock, do it in your slip only.

it has nothing to do with the laws in this case. From my understanding, if you pump your own gas and spill a bunch, the gas station is going to be liable as well as you personally. Gas station employees are covered under the companies liability policy.

sqbtr

Was it a plastic floating dock?

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

It is not illegal in Florida to fill a boat while in the water. There are thousands of fuel depots on the water and tens of thousands of boats that don't fit on trailers.

Some (most) marinas have regulations against putting fuel in the boat while at the dock due to the other boats in the immediate area (hazard probability) and the lack of necessary items to contain an accidental spill (hazard mitigation). If his boat was out of fuel, the marina would have been happy to (or even obligated to) tow him to the fuel dock. That's where they have the fire extinguishers, spill hogs, detergent, etc for spill control.

The officer didn't write him a ticket, just a warning.

There's only 1 "L" in Fire Marshal.

X2- this is the way it is in my marina in TX.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like the problem wasn't gassing the boat but the cop simply had an attitude problem. Maybe he thought something he has is just too small & he compensates for it by being a jerk or he has a problem with some one else having enough money to buy a boat! You might look like the guy who stole his first grilfriend.