No wake zone???

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: No wake zone???

Why National Recreation Areas need different regs I'll never know . . . :rolleyes:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

OK...I'm not gonna hijack this forum as it has just about run it's course...BUUUUTTTT.....

The movie misquotes are killing me!!!

"What we have here is a failure to communicate" - Struther Martin - COOL HAND LUKE

"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie?" - Clint Eastwood - OUTLAW JOSEY WALES

"You gonna do somethin'? Or are you just gonna stand there and bleed? Go ahead, skin it! Skin that smokewagon and see what happens...[slap] I'm gettin' tired of all your gas, now jerk that pistol and go to work! [slap] I said throw down, boy!" - Kurt Russell - TOMBSTONE

PLEASE...if you're gonna quote the greats...quote them correctly
{stepping down from my soapbox}

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think 5 mph or less is a good guide for "no wake." As we have discussed to death, a "no wake zone" does not mean "no water surface disturbance." The boats, piers and shorelines nearby can handle it. While you can't damage another's property with your wake, you can disturb it. Those who whine about it need to take up golf; they aren't entitled to glass conditions wherever they choose to park. if their boat can't handle a little nudge, they don't know how to moor.

I pass a large "no wake zone" in front of a yacht club near my house. It sits on fairly open water and sometimes the chop is a foot high (I've seen whitecaps there too and in storms it's worse).
So on a choppy day, my "wake" is swallowed up by the natural waves. I'll stay under 5 mph but not sweat it. On a still day I'll go slower. The regulations require a degree of reasonableness.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

My last comment to this issue. (I think) We had just dropped the boat at the ramp and my wife was idling it around to the slip we had rented while I parked the trailer.

Some idiot whips in front of her and ties up at his house boat a few hundred yards ahead. She said she had to swerve to avoid him. (she is still a very amateur boater and won't come off idle unless I set it and move over for her to drive) He was probably plenty clear and she overreacted. The same idiot comes out of his houseboat and yells at her for making a wake. By the time she made it to the pier, she was reduced to tears and I thought I was going to have to swim out to the boat because she was afraid to put it back in gear. Fortunately, it drifted to the end of the wrong pier and I was able to board.

Some people out there are just inconsiderate a***holes and you can't change it by joining in with them. We went on to have a wonderful time and no more problems after I settled her down.

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it safe to come out...... :rolleyes: ......... Whew!! :p