No wake zone???

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: No wake zone???

Craziness I say!! Wish the weather was better I'd get out and take a video or something lol..... I still think people are reacting more to the story than the actual question! But it's all with good intent.... It is good intent right?!?! Lol

Sometimes I wonder.

I ask some stupid questions sometimes, and other times I accidently ask some charged questions, and you just never know what you are gonna get. After getting a few responses, I for one, wonder if I should have just shut up, or maybe worded it completely differant. I love having all differant perspectives, but it sometimes seems like we are quick to judge, or quick to accuse, etc etc and not meaning to be a jerk, we end up looking like a jerk anyway.

Cuyose

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not to be nitpicking here, but your original question was "Is the definition of "no wake" a matter of opinion??? " But you go on to give no details about the actual "wake" but more about how you were operating the boat. The sign did not say "idle at 950 RPM, because any less and the guy in the 14ft boat would need paddles if he went slower"

No Wake is not an opinion, you were throwing a wake. Your questions should have been, "Can a boat at idle produce an unwanted wake in a no wake zone?"

BF

Lieutenant

Been thinking....it's a scary thing but I do it sometimes. The way this place sits on the water you could blow right in front of it at wot and stay out of the no wake zone...and no that's not what I did I came in at an angle and I didn't come in on a plane which does create more of a wake....maybe there was some carry over from that and he thought I was plowing through the zone?? I don't know just trying to be objective? Or......maybe they guy was just a blow hole!!! Buahahahaaahaa

I suspect this is the real story... bar guy hears a boat approaching and looks up to see you coming his way, slowing down, plowing and throwing a huge wake. Even if you were still outside the no wake zone, at that point he likely became Mr. Furious and headed outside. Even if you were completely wakeless as you approached, he probably wanted to blast you for the rollers he saw you make further out... Oh, and yes, none of this means that he WASN'T a big blow hole! :) Too bad about the prop. High 5's are pricey.

Oh, and to some other posters response, around here there are a LOT of operators that will plow through a "no wake" zone just below planing speed and throwing a monster wake. I've stood watching it myself... One place we camp has a inlet that is all no wake until you clear the mouth. Only about 1/2 the boats appear to be concerned with their wake at all, the other 1/2 plow, but none are on plane. Me and my other boater friends were all shaking our heads. I said some people must think "no wake" actually means "max wake". Seeing the "no wake" buoys bobbing over huge swells is kind of ironic. I conclude that some of those folks think a "wake" is only made when the boat is on plane. Yes I believe lots of boaters are that clueless. That's where my previous comment came from, and as I pointed out, I wasn't suggesting that the OP was included in that group. But it was likely boaters from that group that primed Mr. Furious for his "welcome to my establishment" tirade.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not to be nitpicking here, but your original question was "Is the definition of "no wake" a matter of opinion??? " But you go on to give no details about the actual "wake" but more about how you were operating the boat. The sign did not say "idle at 950 RPM, because any less and the guy in the 14ft boat would need paddles if he went slower"

No Wake is not an opinion, you were throwing a wake. Your questions should have been, "Can a boat at idle produce an unwanted wake in a no wake zone?"

As I said. We all throw a scenario out there, and regret how we worded it later. A lot of times it is out of disbelief or frustration that we post the origional post and we forget to reread or edit it to get the correct reaction. And a lot of times we dont expect the reaction we get, then when we get it we think, Damn I should have worded that differantly or should have just kept my mouth shut. Trust me, I have done it.

Just check out the thread I started about outboards and I/O. I really wish I had worded it differantly because I had a completely differant reaction than I expected, and my reaction to everyone's reaction was also wrong, and it went on and on and on. It started out with me honestly wanting to get pros and cons of outboards and turned into a pissing contest. OOPS

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, good reading here. To the OP, I don't think you have done anything wrong. To the people that think no wake means no wave at all, you better just keep the boat in the driveway. No wake means to go as slow as you can while still being able to control your boat. Take a boating class, they'll explain it all.

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Laugh!!! Number one I need to learn how to do the quote thing on here!! I was very clear about the definition of a no wake zone several posts back mixed in all this muck was actually some good
Info. I know what you mean..... Ive tried to stop but it's like a train wreck I just keep looking even though I shouldn't!!!

Cuyose

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's all a matter of consideration in my eyes. There are 2 types of boaters, and sometimes these types of boaters switch views at any given time.

Type 1) boaters who don't care how much wake they throw as long as they think they are going "slow enough, or as slow as they can"

Type 2) boaters who actually do everything to not create a wake in a no wake zone, in other words are more concerned about the effects on other people.

The amount of wake you were throwing was obviously in contention. The person not on your boat figured it was too much, you figured it wasn't. None of us were there. But all of us have seen people in "no wake" zones pushing 3 ft wakes before.

You were obviously concerned enough about it that you figured you would post, so Ill give you the benefit of the doubt you were throwing up a wake that 95% of people would consider acceptable and you just happened to run into one of the 5 out of 100 that not only didn't agree but figured it prudent to get into a tiff about it.

//got some time on my hands at work, so just recalling this last weekend and the behavior I saw in my local "no-wake" zones.

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To Cuyose.... The reason I asked is that in my opinion I was not throwing a wake and in his opinion he was acting like I was sinking his bar.... Hence the question "is it a matter of opinion" There was nothing else I could do to reduce any wake ripple or any other water borne disturbance that I was or wasn't creating. And it was 850 rpm (not to be nitpicking) :D. And yes I know..... According to the book that's too high :cool::rolleyes:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I still think it is a case of mistaken identity:rolleyes:. Similar boat running through just before and you got the blame. That I have seen before. From a distance, a lot of boats look similar. Even if they are different makes and 10 years apart. All someone on shore sees is a "blue and white boat".

Turx

Cadet

I tell people that it is the minimum speed that you can go and still maintain steerage. It will vary as was said above from boat to boat depending on hull design and size.

that's pretty much "word for word" here in PA, just like it states in "the book". Idle or just a bit above creates no wake from my Bayliner 1952.... any more than that and it's a big wake until I'm on plane.

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"You gonna draw them pistol's or whistle dixie?"

You were'nt wrong man. Its obvious you were just rying to enjoy your evening with your wife while enjoying a nice meal. I don't think there's a darn thing to read into this. Actually pretty wild story. I'm just glad it was'nt me.

Ryan.

Tombstone... When Kurt Russell said to Johnny Ringo...

"You gonna jerk that pistol or just stand there and bleed...?"

Classic!!

Me???

I would have turned around knowing I was in the right and taken my hard earned money elsewhere...

Just sayin'...

:)

TMoNeE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol @ all the "No wake means NO WAKE"

Do you think that when they consider putting "no wake zone" they take into consideration that some boats create a wake going at their slowest possible speed? I'd assume they do so really it is a matter of opinion, but thats just my opinion :).

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes ^^^^^ that's why the letter of the law is typically minimum speed to maintain steerage. Quoted many times in this thread and it solves the "can't go any slower thing."

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

What ever happened to headway speed; it made more sense than no wake? Headway speed ( the way us old timers were taught ) is just enough speed to maintain headway or steerage. You cant run your finger through the water without creating a wake! No wake is an oximoron. I understand what they're trying to accomplish, and that many boaters have never taken a course in boating, so would not understand headway speed if they posted it; but it seems that the answer would be to educate rather the coddle to ignorance. No wake makes me feel like they expect me to be an idiot.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would have kept my mouth shut, docked, ordered my food and complained that it wasn't cooked right, tipped him nothing and walked out (very slowly of course so as not to shake the floor).........sorry......poor attempt at some humor to lighten the mood.......

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

as i boat a lake powell a lot i decided to see if i could find the regulation for there. just to see how the national park service would word it. this is how they word it

Operating a vessel in excess of 5 mph or creating a wake in the following areas is prohibited:
? Within harbors as defined above, mooring areas, and wakeless areas
? Within any other "No Wake" buoyed area
? Rainbow Bridge National Monument

QC

Supreme Mariner

Poorly worded ^^^^^

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my opinion there are two types of conflicting personalities here. #1. The blow holes who think the no wake sign actually means private property and #2. The boaters who have zero respect for the no wake zones. The rest of us who are caught in the middle end up getting classified in one of these categories regardless of boat make,hp,actual speed or the wake that was actually made. When a blowhole comes out to make an @$$ out of himself its not really you hes mad at its all the 200+hp bassboat flybys and 17yr olds on jet skis he never got the oppurtunity to express himself with. Think about it if gtdavis or myself in the little tinny were the only ones to ever pass their prestigious property they would probably never say a word but after so much tension has been built up from the disrespectful boaters,jet skiers,etc... It doesnt take much for the blowhole to well....blow. Most of us has already said that we see these people on almost every outing. I have looked up and thought what a moron myself on occasion. This doesnt make any of it right but in this day and age what is right anymore? Personally,I gave gtdavis the benefit of the doubt simply because he is an iboater and most of us here have a lot of blood,sweat,and tears in our rig and with that respect always comes more naturally as opposed to someone who just had to cut a check to get on the water with a brand new machine. Kinda like the high school kid with a new muscle car and the one who restored a classic. Which one is more likely to baby their baby and which one totals it in a few weeks?Just my 2 cents...