No wake zone???

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: No wake zone???

I understand what the factory specs are for my boat, and I'm saying mine idles at 850 on the boats tach. Much less it shakes the boat to pieces it shakes the boat to pieces and dies. And yes I have had the motor and carbs tuned. Maybe the 16 year old tach is off a bit but MY boat that I have out every week idles at 850 (according to the tach) and barely moves at 900 rpm..... Geeze! Lol!!!! Btw not getting mad or pissy just firing back.

rickryder

Commander

This quote was taken from the boaters safety course plain and simple...

"Slow Speed/No Wake": The speed at which a motorized vessel moves through the water and is able to maintain minimum headway in relation to a vessel or structure being passed and produces the minimum wake possible.

sounds like you were doing it rite :D

tcgobucks

Seaman

wow, got some awfully touchy people on here don't we. First of all, no wake doesn't mean you can't make a wave or a ripple from your movements, the only way to do that on some boats is to be stopped. Read the post directly above this one. It says minimal.....meaning as little as possible, which to me is just putting the boat in gear and nothing more. To quote someone's factory specs sounds like something a 10 year old would do.....to know (and quote) how fast your boat goes at 650rpm and 900 rpm is something my mom would do. Ease up guys....sounds like the bar owner was ticked off that his place was empty and took it out on the first guy who came around....which seems kind of backwards considering most bars are in business to ATTRACT CUSTOMERS....not scream at them and cause them to leave....lol

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you!! Lol I guess us seaman apprentices have to stick together lol. And my speedo doesn't register below 15mph guess I need to break out the gps next time lol....But in all seriousness no harm no foul and thanks everybody for the useful info.

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not saying this was you, but often it seems operators think "no wake" means "not planing" Lots of times I've seen boats go thru a no wake zone with their boats going slow, but plowing and making a huge wake. BTW, idling means the lowest possible throttle setting (just in gear, no extra throttle). Anything above that is not idling, but is above idle. Sounds like you might have been above idle, but were not planing. Issue is whether you were throwing a wake or not. It doesn't take much more than idle to make a wake. We're not talking a ripple here, throwing a stone in water makes a ripple... we're talking about an appreciable rolling wave caused by the movement of your boat.

Yes, it could also be that the person thought "no wake" meant "no boat"... but if they were in a boat up establishment (?) I doubt that.

I'm hoping we are all know what "no wake" vs "not planing"... With I/Os you leave less of a wake at plane then you do in between idle and plane.
I'm just saying there folks out there looking to yell at someone like they own the water.

Like rickryder posted... "minimum wake possible". I dont see what the issue is if someone is leaving a 3" ripple which would not even show up on a windy day. Not on purpose...

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm hoping we are all know what "no wake" vs "not planing"... With I/Os you leave less of a wake at plane then you do in between idle and plane.
I'm just saying there folks out there looking to yell at someone like they own the water.

Like rickryder posted... "minimum wake possible". I dont see what the issue is if someone is leaving a 3" ripple which would not even show up on a windy day. Not on purpose...

What you describe is what I had when FWC stopped me. And they had yelled at me several times before that but had someone stopped allready on those days. They told me to either fix it right there or I was getting a ticket. Trust me, the boat does not run very well at that 600 RPM, but if it keeps the FWC from stopping me, then so be it. The problem is that with the Tahoe, it is known that it does not steer very well at idle and worse at the lower idle its at now. No wake is clearly stated in the statute, must operate at the minimum speed that allows the vessel to maintain headway and steerageway. and I doubt that will draw a 3" ripple.

Just being informative. I think its ridiculous to have to go that slow. By the time the ripples get to docks or shoreline, it has dissipated anyway, but that is the law and FWC and the Sherriff takes their job seriously.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Most of this has been beaten to death, but I just called a friend of mine that works for the FWC (Florida) to get his interpretation on it and how would he handle it if called:

■Any vessel operating in a speed zone posted as "Idle Speed - No Wake" must operate at the minimum speed that allows the vessel to maintain headway and steerageway. (see jaxnjil pic posted).
**Cop says: although it says idle, this may be even a bit more. If headed down river in a heavy vessel, idle speed may not allow steerage and prudence would take over. The operator of the vessel must take whatever actions are necessary to avoid collision, even if that means disregarding the posted signs.

■Any vessel operating in a speed zone posted as "Slow Down - Minimum Wake" must operate fully off plane and completely settled in water.
**Cop says: This is not at idle. A vessel may be running 4-10 MPH in the water and be completely settled in the water, but it would be throwing a large wake. Any vessel at idle will move the minimum amount of water behind it, so as long as your wake isn't greater than it takes to safely maintain course, you're fine. Obviously, idle is better, but you don't have to be at an idle in a "Slow Down" zone. On top of that, he said if the engine sounds remotely in the ball park at idle setting, it was good enough for the law. No timing lights on the cop boats.

■The vessel's wake must not be excessive nor create a hazard to other vessels.
**Cop says: Pretty much self explanatory. He went on to say he's never even ticketed a boater for wake problems that someone says caused damage to moored vessels. Too hard to prove. It would have to be witnessed by law enforcement or videoed.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Most of this has been beaten to death, but I just called a friend of mine that works for the FWC (Florida) to get his interpretation on it and how would he handle it if called:

■Any vessel operating in a speed zone posted as "Idle Speed - No Wake" must operate at the minimum speed that allows the vessel to maintain headway and steerageway. (see jaxnjil pic posted).
**Cop says: although it says idle, this may be even a bit more. If headed down river in a heavy vessel, idle speed may not allow steerage and prudence would take over. The operator of the vessel must take whatever actions are necessary to avoid collision, even if that means disregarding the posted signs.

■Any vessel operating in a speed zone posted as "Slow Down - Minimum Wake" must operate fully off plane and completely settled in water.
**Cop says: This is not at idle. A vessel may be running 4-10 MPH in the water and be completely settled in the water, but it would be throwing a large wake. Any vessel at idle will move the minimum amount of water behind it, so as long as your wake isn't greater than it takes to safely maintain course, you're fine. Obviously, idle is better, but you don't have to be at an idle in a "Slow Down" zone. On top of that, he said if the engine sounds remotely in the ball park at idle setting, it was good enough for the law. No timing lights on the cop boats.

**Cop says: Pretty much self explanatory. He went on to say he's never even ticketed a boater for wake problems that someone says caused damage to moored vessels. Too hard to prove. It would have to be witnessed by law enforcement or videoed.

good info,, ty

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Been thinking....it's a scary thing but I do it sometimes. The way this place sits on the water you could blow right in front of it at wot and stay out of the no wake zone...and no that's not what I did I came in at an angle and I didn't come in on a plane which does create more of a wake....maybe there was some carry over from that and he thought I was plowing through the zone?? I don't know just trying to be objective? Or......maybe they guy was just a blow hole!!! Buahahahaaahaa

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If you were going as slow as you said, the guy was just being a jerk.
Forget it!

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very good info 431 awesome....thanks for going through the trouble!

iop

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think its ridiculous to have to go that slow. By the time the ripples get to docks or shoreline, it has dissipated anyway, but that is the law and FWC and the Sherriff takes their job seriously.

I crap on that!!! Cmon!!
I witnessed ( no camera dammit!! ) 2 Yonkers cops on the hudson, in uniform on a marked police boat "marine 1" drinking coronas and BBQing on 4th of July weekend last year!!!! And if anyone knows the hudson... they were about 50 yards out on the west shore directly accross from Crotons point. the river is about 1.5 miles at that point. They were tied up to another boat with friends or maybe off duty guys!! What does that say??
I bike the trails in those woods and go to the water often.
My point is I aint a subject or a second class citizen. There is police work and then their is guys running around with guns and badges. ;)

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

He needs to speak to the guy in Astor that stopped me. I was aware of the second and third scenerio though. The idle speed/no wake statute must be up to interpretation, cause that guy really tore me a new one.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I crap on that!!! Cmon!!
I witnessed ( no camera dammit!! ) 2 Yonkers cops on the hudson, in uniform on a marked police boat "marine 1" drinking coronas and BBQing on 4th of July weekend last year!!!! And if anyone knows the hudson... they were about 50 yards out on the west shore directly accross from Crotons point. the river is about 1.5 miles at that point. They were tied up to another boat with friends or maybe off duty guys!! What does that say??
I bike the trails in those woods and go to the water often.
My point is I aint a subject or a second class citizen. There is police work and then their is guys running around with guns and badges. ;)

Dont get me wrong, I have partied with some of those guys. Nobody parties like the law. It only takes one jerk though.

We spend a ton of time on the water, and we try to avoid the hardasses. I could tell you some stories, but they are not related to no wake.

idaharoam

Cadet

I'll take the ticket at an idle. I also have trial by jury. It would be fun. (Oh forgot??) Me being who I am would have to pay a fine because he would have needed help straighting his docks out when I left. The ticket would not have been for my entry but my depature......;)

Ryan

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Wow JimS do you know the guy I'm talking about or something? What up with the comment????? I'm trying to do two thing here: one is vent a little frustration because I was really looking forward to some southwestern egg rolls they serve and two learn what I may have done wrong.... I'm not a reckless boater. I'm a firefighter that has had to fish people out of the very same lake I was in. And btw my boat idles at 850 rpm I am very aware if what at idle means, as I was only in forward gear at idle so I could steer!

We weren't there so we didn't see your wake, or lack thereof. We don't know the guy, so we don't know if he just had a fight with his girfriend, or whatever. You said you wouldn't go there again, and that was the source of my comment.

In my younger days I was yelled at for going too fast as well, and I countered by pulling the throttle back all the way, waving "I'm sorry", and receiveing an "OK" wave back. If there were food and beer there I would never have run away, but rather stopped anyway to ask what the problem was.

On my dock my boat is secured in such a way that wakes won't hurt it. But, when I tie up to a restaurant dock (which are usually crappy anyway) I'm at the mercy of the dock since my fenders seldom line up. Maybe the guy just had his boat damaged by someone else, and was overly sensitive about it. Who knows?

Regardless, since you didn't stop you'll never know. Ok to vent if you want, but not worth fretting about. Now you know what to do in the future. If your boat won't go slow enough, fix it or stay out of no wake zones.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I was the owner of the establishment, I would have waited for you to dock maybe even help you tie up, then asked you to be a slower the next time because whatever the problem is. Yelling at you like that just cost him how much business, how many people would you have brought to him over the years.:)

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok Jim I am gonna say a few things to you and then drop it. First off I'm not a young kid maybe compared to some but not others, I'm very sorry that I wasn't as polite as I should have been. I was getting cussed and yelled at and I did stop to try and find out what the problem was which is why I drifted into the shallows and bummbed up my prop because my boat as with most won't steer very well in neutral. And ad far as the little comment about staying out of the no wake zones I freaquent a marina that also has a TWRA post as well as a coast guard post and I go through their no wake zone in the exact same way and have never had a problem which is one of the reasons I even brought up the question and it's also kinda impossible to get on the water and stay out of a no wake zone. I wonder if I had just asked the question as apposed to telling the story behind the question if all the finger pointing would have happened???? I am a member of a goldwing forum and I have never seen them "attack". Like I have seen on some of the threads on this forum.... Who would have thought boaters more aggressive than bikers??? Lol again much thanks to those who attempted to help and played along with the story.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Ok Jim I am gonna say a few things to you and then drop it. First off I'm not a young kid maybe compared to some but not others, I'm very sorry that I wasn't as polite as I should have been. I was getting cussed and yelled at and I did stop to try and find out what the problem was which is why I drifted into the shallows and bummbed up my prop because my boat as with most won't steer very well in neutral. And ad far as the little comment about staying out of the no wake zones I freaquent a marina that also has a TWRA post as well as a coast guard post and I go through their no wake zone in the exact same way and have never had a problem which is one of the reasons I even brought up the question and it's also kinda impossible to get on the water and stay out of a no wake zone. I wonder if I had just asked the question as apposed to telling the story behind the question if all the finger pointing would have happened???? I am a member of a goldwing forum and I have never seen them "attack". Like I have seen on some of the threads on this forum.... Who would have thought boaters more aggressive than bikers??? Lol again much thanks to those who attempted to help and played along with the story.

No "attack" intended. As I said before, we weren't there. If you have gone past the police before and didn't get a hollar, then YOU know your boat is operating correctly and undoubtedly the restaurant guy was having a bad day. If it were me I would go back and try again, but this time converse with the guy like you did here. I love that old movie with the guy on the horse that says: "It must be a failure to communicate".

gtdavis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You mean John Wayne??? Who's the old guy here.... or were you just checking lol