Max hp rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob1975

Cadet
The tag on my 1978 Angler V-19 Bow rider says Max hp 145, is it okay to go 5 or 10 hp over that or would that be too much?

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Max hp rating

I think that rating is there for a reason. Don't know what insurance implications are there. Besides. I wouldn't want to be stopped and questioned about the HP rating...

Its your call. ONly you know if your hull can handle the extra weight, torque and HP...

Good question tho...

Looking forward to others chiming in..

Rob1975

Cadet

Never thought of the insurance end of it. I am wondering this because i see few 140 hp motors for sale but a lot more 150 hp motors for sale.

NHGuy

Captain

My chime is do it, but as said make sure the insurance company doesn't have an out. Or that they will cover you if fully informed. As far as power ratings, extra power is usually good, it's when you misuse it that problems develop. So don't go ripping across wavetops banging willy nilly through every bump. Find out what speeds the hull can handle safely through forum members and by gradually increasing it while on the water. I love to go fast, but I like being alive and safe better.
Is the transom sound and strong?
Is the motor in question much heavier that those that it would replace. That can be a stopper too.
The extra power may be more than you can take to top speed, but it can be a lifesaver if you need to make a quick move or if someone needs a tow.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I say do as well.
as long as you boat can handle the extra weight. it should be no problem.

I my boat is rated for 45, I put a 55 on it. Runs just fine.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Too much horsepower is never enough! I consider hull ratings to be nothing more than a starting point suggestion.

Fact: Why is your hull rated for 140 when a 13 foot jetski can have supercharging and 250 ponies? Fact: Why would your hull have NO HP rating if it were an IO?

Just don't be an idiot and go looking for drama and you will be OK with a 150

Here's a 14 footer with a 125

Attachments

• 55MPH.jpg
    55MPH.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • working copy.jpg
    working copy.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

45Auto

Commander

To the original poster, it depends on what state you are in. Some have laws against exceeding the manufacturer's rating, some don't.

Buzzstpoint said:
I say do as well.
as long as you boat can handle the extra weight. it should be no problem.

I my boat is rated for 45, I put a 55 on it. Runs just fine.

Your boat may run just fine, but if you are ever involved in an accident with it you can expect the lawyers and the other guy to own everything you have. You may find the bottom left paragraph on "Overpowering" from the Wisconsin DNR Boating Regs, page 16 interesting:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/DOCS/BoatingRegs.pdf

w.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Never thought of the insurance end of it. I am wondering this because i see few 140 hp motors for sale but a lot more 150 hp motors for sale.

They don't make 140's any more. Yours must be an older boat that was certified when they were available.

Don't listen to internet advice that suggests what you are asking is OK. Don't know where you live or what your local laws are. It doesn't matter whether your boat can handle it or not. And who's to say it can or can't?

Fact is that some insurance companies will not cover you if you have an accident. Some police agencies may write you up, and the USCGA will deny your safety certificate when they inspect you.

On the other hand, if you hit another boat, no matter how bad or who's at fault, the other guy's lawyer will love you....LOL. When he sees the discrepancy he'll sue the pants off you.

Rob1975

Cadet

It has a seized 85 hp johnson v4 (1969) on it now and the guy i bought it from said that that motor, when it ran, did an OK job but a 120 or bigger would help out. The boat is a 1978 Angler V-19 bow rider, hull looks great, transom seems fine, i just don't want anything to break apart. I was also told that once you hit a certain hp rating the engines weigh quite a bit more so the extra power is wasted because of the extra weight. I live in Napanee, Ontario, CANADA.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To the original poster, it depends on what state you are in. Some have laws against exceeding the manufacturer's rating, some don't.

Your boat may run just fine, but if you are ever involved in an accident with it you can expect the lawyers and the other guy to own everything you have. You may find the bottom left paragraph on "Overpowering" from the Wisconsin DNR Boating Regs, page 16 interesting:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/DOCS/BoatingRegs.pdf

w.jpg

I've read the boaters regs cover to cover many times.
Have even been approached by the DNR a few times on the river.
None of them have even remotely questioned the motor.

I dont want this to get into a huge debate on if it's right or wrong.
We all know that Max rating is there for a reason.
Its a matter of can he do it.. And the answer is.. Yes he can.
Most of us drive 75 to 80 on the free way. Some even faster. Doesn't make it right, but we take the chance of doing it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We don't know the condition of the boat, nor the experience of the owner. Telling him to go ahead with it is irresonsible on our part. Listening to people on the internet that tell him to go against common boating sense is irresponsible on his part.

Lots of people drive drunk, act irresponsibly and don't follow the laws without ever having a problem. Others "take the chance" and kill somebody the first time they deviate.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Too much horsepower is never enough! I consider hull ratings to be nothing more than a starting point suggestion.

Fact: Why is your hull rated for 140 when a 13 foot jetski can have supercharging and 250 ponies? Fact: Why would your hull have NO HP rating if it were an IO?

Just don't be an idiot and go looking for drama and you will be OK with a 150

Here's a 14 footer with a 125

Come on Frank, full disclosure here.....your 14 foot hull is HIGHLY modified and you aren't exactly an amateur boater...:)

NYBo

Admiral

Five or ten horsepower over the rated max won't give much of a performance improvement, and it could even hurt as someone noted, if it involves going to a larger and heavier block. But going from 85 to, say, 115, should make a noticeable difference while remaining perfectly "legal". Probably a lot cheaper to buy than a 150, too.

and the USCGA will deny your safety certificate when they inspect you.
Absolutely correct.;)

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

First,if your hull is rated at 145hp MAX,then thats what its rated for.No more.Second,your boat isnt exactly a new one(no offense).Its 33 yrs old.There is no reason to mess w/anything here.a 115 will work fine(very plentiful)and a 125 would be better(not as plentiful,but out there).140(if you can find one)will be last option hp wise.Im fairly sure that when new,a 150hp would have been fine,but,now,you never know.With all the sue crazy people out there,and fact that its most likely illegal anyway,you just dont need to risk it.Structurally,or legally.Slap a 115 on there and enjoy your legal,safe boat.jmo.

crusty barnicle

Recruit

i wouldnt stress about 5-15 more horsepower. put a 150 merc XR2 with a high five prop on it and you'll get some real performance out of the boat

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion: If you want more horespower get a boat rated for more horsepower. Sure your boat is rated for 140 and 140's are hard to find but there are a lot of 135's out there. As for legality, I have been stopped by DNR in Wisconsin and asked what the capacity plate said for HP. I was under the max rating and all was OK but I was asked. I can only imagine it would have been a trip back to the dock and a ticket if I had been over.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Wow what a bunch of nonsense.

It won't hurt anything and there is no reason to worry about it.

Go ahead.

overkill

Seaman Apprentice

when was it that they started rating the HP on the OBs differant? they went from rating the HP at the flywheel to rating it at the prop. if your boat was made before that switch, the a newer 150 MIGHT not technicly be overpowered.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class

nsbcraig,the only nonsense answers on here are yours and the others who say "go ahead and do it".laws and regulations are not just there a suggestions.yes,he probably can do it.but,one,from say 135 to 150 you are going to notice VERY LITTLE performance gains.two,that would simply make you legal and no chance of getting a couple hundred dollar ticket from a dnr guy in a bad mood.and lastly it would keep you from getting plowed into and THEM recovering money from YOU on a technicality such as 5hp over max. capacity.so is it worth it,NO!are there idiots that do it and recommend to others,ABSOLUTELY!youre probably the guy that drives 75 in a 65,tailgaiting and cussing good drivers and tthen tries to fight a speed ticket in court cause you were"keeping up w/flow of traffic".why do people not see laws as laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.