Antifouling paint, starbrite hull cleaner

ordonyez

Cadet
Hi,

I just used some Starbrite boat bottom cleaner to get a scum line off of my boat. It worked amazing. However, some got onto the bottom of my boat (where there is antifouling paint) so I kept going. The paint seemed to just start comming off. I have rinsed it thoroughly however, everytime I touch the painted area my hand is white (like the paint is just comming off) Do I need to get someone to reapply this? is it ruined?

Sorry I have no experiencew with antifouling paint and really dont care if its on there or not. I just dont know if its ok to leave.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Antifouling paint, starbrite hull cleaner

The key to your question is: do you keep your boat in the water, or do you trailer it?

If you trailer it, don't worry about the bottom paint. You don't need it. You may want to keep going with the cleaning, and get it all off.

If you keep it in the water, you will need to reapply the bottom paint. If you don't you'll have barnacles and other lovely stuff growing on your hull in no time. Not a good thing.

It sounds like the paint that was on there is an ablative bottom paint. It is designed to wear off 'easily'. The more you touch it, wash it, scrub it, etc., the quicker it will come off. So if you need it (see above), stop messing with it.

ordonyez

Cadet

I may leave my boat in the water for a week every now and then but mostly trailer it. I also live in canada around the great lakes so there is no problems with barnacles for me. I think its on there just to prevent scum line on the bottom of the boat.

Maybe I will apply more tomorrow and just polish and wax after. I just want to make sure that I dont need to get it reappplied.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I would think (don't know for sure in your area), that in the water for a week at a time wouldn't be a problem without bottom paint. When you pull her out after that week, just wash her down real good. Where I am (west central Florida) I get barnacles+ within 2 weeks if it isn't painted properly.

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On lake erie and other great lakes you will get tons of crazy stuff magically attached to the boat. We always painted ours..