Adventures in Boating: Me and My Invader

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About a month ago I purchased my Invader after exaustive internet searching and research. My advise thread resides here.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=407124

I posted much of this there but wanted to share my adventures to date and in the future with the rest of the iboats forum members. I have enjoyed reading forums here immensely especially the restoration forum. I hope that no one minds me reposting the bulk of this message to share.

I bought the boat while I was on R&R from my tour in Afghanistan during the first two weeks of July. I had a lot of fun cleaning her up and running her around lake Lanier and Lake Jackson (My local Lake). My family enjoys the boat especially my 4 year old daughter.

I very nearly bought a brand new Bayliner 175 with a Mercruiser 3.0 and Alpha One drive. My wife loved that little boat but in the end I decided to make the drive from Kennesaw to Lanier Marine Liquidators to take a look at some older used boats.

Once we got there I asked Billy about a couple of boats that I was interested in and he told me that they were already sold but he had just the boat for me. He also told me that the boats that I was interested in were really not worth my time and effort and said that I was going to love the Invader.

Well he was right. I looked at it and checked her out talked with Household 6 (The Wife, thats Army speak for the commander he is the 6 element when referring to him on the radio) she was quite nervous about buying an older used boat. Billy offered to put the muffs on and crank her up and let me check her out, a step that would I would have had him do anyways. After that My wife was much more comfortable. I made the deposit and the rest is history.

Bottom line doing business with Billy and Lanier Marine Liquidators was a pleasure. Their operation is more of a salvage and older used boat business. Their facility is not pretty by any means. They do their best to take care of their customers and Highly recommend making the visit to check anything out that you are interested in. If you are in the market for a used or a project boat this is definitely the place to check. The link is below.

http://www.laniermarine.com/

Here is the rest of the story so far.

She is a 1988 Invader 181 powered by a Mercruiser 3.0 and a Mercruiser Alpha One Drive. Will be putting her in the water as much as possible when I get back home in mid September.

I bought her AS IS from Lanier Marine Liquidators in Dawsonville / Gainesville Ga. First day out I put her in the water and started her up and backed her off the trailer. she ran for a couple of minutes then quit. Woah dang my buddy and I had to swim her back into the dock thankfully not too far.

While doing so we saw another guy putting in and waved to him asking for his help He blatantly told us "NO". He had his kids and all on his boat. Great example, Thanks guy. I told my buddy to remind me to never leave anyone stranded on the water.

We put her back on the trailer and took her back to Lanier Marine. They pumped the tank primed the motor for us and even replaced the winch tower on the trailer for us. we went on our way fueled up the boat and put her back in the water. She ran great we put 6 hours on her that day.

Lanier Marine has been great. They told us to let them know if we have any more problems they do their best within reason to fix it.

I Had her out on Lake Jackson with the family and she backfired under full throttle quite a bit. I towed another boat in to the marina with no issues however on the way back to the marina that we put in at she only gave me about 5 mph and wouldn't shift unless I turned the motor off and restarted her. I did a bit of tinkering, checked her out and saw that the motor had thrown the belt and the throttle cable came loose from the post it goes on. I checked the spark plugs the next day and found one that was completely fouled.

I took a trip to NAPA and ordered the necessary tune up parts and a new Belt. I Picked them up the next day, installed the spark plugs and replaced the belt. I was taking the family to Lake Lanier the next day so on the way we stopped at Lanier Marine. They reattached the throttle cable to the post it is supposed to go onto without any problem for me and told me to bring her back if I had any more issues. after that she shifted and ran like a dream.

The tachometer and the volt meter don't show accurate readings so I will have to troubleshoot that issue but the battery holds and gets enough of a charge to keep it from dying and continues to start the boat. I carry a Brand new marine battery as a spare just in case. I may need to replace the alternator for those gauges to work. Apparently the Tachometer gets its readings from the Alternator which would explain the issue with both gauges not giving me a proper reading.

She needs to be wet sanded buffed and waxed to get her all shiny again. The gellcoat on the Hull is pretty old and has a few cracks in it but otherwise she is in great shape she may need to be repainted.

She will get a new prop next season and I am exploring having the Drive cleaned up and repainted with the boat as well.

the Icing on the cake is when I took my 4 year old daughter out on the boat together she kept on saying "Go faster daddy" I would slow down and she would say "No daddy I want to go fast". When I took the family to Lake Lanier I could not get her off the boat when the day was over.

Lanier Marine included a Bimini top with the boat I will probably have it installed at the beginning of next season.

All in all a good experience. No regrets and can't wait to get to boating again. Ill get her back to TIP TOP shape. She is a boat that I can be proud of.

Currently she is parked at my Mom and Dads house because my driveway is too steep to get her up without the drive hitting the concrete pavement. Despite the perfect parking space right next to the house. Our next house will have an accessible and covered parking spot for the boat. Thankfully we do not plan on living in this house but for a few more years.

It is official I am now a member of the boating community and the Driveway Captains Club of America. Beers taste so good while sitting in the boat listing to the radio.

Here is the link to the Lanier Marine listing for the boat. They still don't have her listed as sold but she most definitely is.

http://www.laniermarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=04289209X8K2K2010J9I47I51JAMQ3441R0&veh=1735618&nv=y

I have the bug and after getting some experience and knowledge I plan on buying a project boat. I figure that there is no better way to learn about boats than to research and build one yourself.

Plans for this boat so far:
Have the Hull wet sanded, Buffed and waxed.
Check some trouble spots on the Gelcoat and have them repaired during the off season the water line has some fouling as the boat definitely sat in water for extended periods of time.
Look at having a swim platform installed (I will gladly take any information that you can give for this).
Have the drive cleaned up and repainted if it will make a difference.
Reprop her at the beginning of next season.
Have the Bimini top installed and look at getting a custom boat cover made for her as the Hull has snaps all the way around it for one.

Thank you for reading my book. I hope you enjoyed it so far. I will be posting my adventures, experiences, other issues, and questions here.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge with G.W. Invader boats I sure would like to know. I do know that they are no longer in business and started in the 50s building fast little 10 foot boats. I understand that they built each boat to order and custom and that the Hulls are very strong as a result.

MacPointMan

Attachments

• Stern (Cropped Small).jpg
    Stern (Cropped Small).jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0161 (Cropped small).jpg
    DSC_0161 (Cropped small).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Bow (Cropped Small).jpg
    Bow (Cropped Small).jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adventures in Boating: Me and My Invader

For some reason those old Invaders always catch my eye.

Once you are done with the repair list, maybe look into getting a swim platform. Your kids will love it, and if yours are anything like mine, and they like to jump out of the boat, having a swim platform keeps all the traffic out the back which reduces water brought into the boat.

Happy boating! Sounds like you did already and Lanier is a great place to buy.

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you. Yea as soon as I saw her I thought "Wow what nice lines" Simple yet eye catching. Just like those old Bayliner hulls.

I have enjoyed my experience with Lanier Marine so far. The Swim platform will be a great addition after I get her up to tip top shape. As much for fun as for safety. That little bit of extra length helps keep the little one and others away from busting something on the drive. Though I understand that Swim platforms can be a bit on the expensive side we will see. I definitely would like it to be wood. Wood seems to look better on these older classic boats especially since my boat has wood trim on the inside.

MacPointMan

SeanT

Yes, a nice teak one would look great. And they are expensive because they have to take a lot of stress. The only problem (in my opinion) with swim platforms on an I/O is that you'll still need a ladder to get on them because they sit above the water line to allow for the lower unit to trim all the way up.

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat and great start!

I want to say thanks for sharing it and my accountant. (read wife) wants to shoot you...

You see in browsing the link I found a nice looking Mark twain 23' cruiser project boat.

Looks like a great family boat and a great project! Toying with the idea now of driving down and seeing it. :) :) So she not happy at the moment!

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to leave the people that want to shoot me at the enemy. Your wife the accountant surely is not. Thanks for the laugh. There are quite a few boats that we looked at that would make great projects. From complete restores to re-powers to reflooring and everything in between. I am glad you enjoyed the links.

SeanT: I agree a nice teak swim platform would look awesome. A ladder is a definite must.

MacPointMan

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been doing some reading and looking at Swim Platforms. Expensive they are. Has anyone built their own and installed it?

I am pretty decent in a workshop and from looking at a few of them (on the net) it is not beyond my capacity. Seems like a fun project as well.

Thinking about a composite material if I can't find Teak at a decent price.

MacPointMan

SeanT

I think if you made the brackets sturdy enough you could put whatever you wanted on it as a surface material. Hell, 5" x 5/4" radius edged pressure treated decking would work as long as the deck had a chance to dry between uses, and be easy to replace. Bottom screw it with stainless steel screws to a metal bracket. The tricky part is mounting on a transom and optionally making it removable. Mine comes off and on with big alumium sliding brackets, held in place with a pair of cotter pins.

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me thinks a trip to a couple of boat restorers in in my future and the obvious trip up to West Marine.

I thought about pressure treated lumber as well but like the thought of Composite decking better it comes in all shapes and sizes. My first choice is Teak man that will look mice. Build my own for a couple of hundred bucks versus Several Hundred to purchase one. Though some teak colored composite decking would be nice as well.

MacPointMan

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is just a bit over 3 weeks before I get home and I can't wait. Here are the plans that I have for getting her looking better than she does now.

The link to the thread I got the links for the polisher is here

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2867513#post2867513

I just ordered the Polisher and the Wool bonnets along with the terry cloth and the Micro Fiber bonnets as well for finishing and spot waxing.

I have found with my experience in auto detailing that a good wool bonnet with compound is good for cutting and buffing, terry cloth is good for applying wax and polish, and microfiber is great for bringing out the shine.

I regular lightweight orbital is good for when you already have a good base coat of wax. By base I mean a good couple of layers. When you re-wax keeping both the boat protected and the paint from fading thats what you want to use the lightweight buffer. It has been my experience that a lightweight buffer does not have enough weight to it to evenly apply the wax and clean impurities in the paint. Believe me it makes a difference even if you are holding it up to the side of a car. I am sure the same would apply with the gelcoat on a boat. A good detailing orbital buffer is quite expensive.

I plan on using the polisher for both the cleaning and initial waxing and polishing of the boat.

I have a cheap orbital buffer purchased from WalMart to use for minor wax and re-waxing once a good base has been applied.

This winter I plan on getting the more troublesome spots re-resined and re-gelcoated / Painted. Especially where it is bubbling on the hull.

I'll def be looking for some research on that after I get her winterized.

I will probably post pictures and the process that I use in a thread in the restoration forum for you all and as a reference while I an working on the project.

MacPointMan

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'm sure that the boat and your family are deep in your thoughts and that's a good thing too. But just remember to keep your head down and your eyes open and focused on your tasks at hand. Just get your butt back here safe and sound.

God bless you and thank you for your service. You're the reason we can all sit here and talk about boats!

MacPointMan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JimS123: Thank you for your support. The kind comments go a long way. It is a job like any other it gets the bills paid. Someone has to do it. Staying safe and getting back home in one piece is priority number one.

Unfortunately for me I am unemployed. When I get home so I will be on the hunt for a new job. Contrary to popular belief us Reserve and National guard soldiers Get thrown to the wolves when our time is up. Coming back from my last deployment was less than pleasant job wise.

Anyhow On to the boat.

The items shipped minus the terrycloth bonnets. Harbor freight refunded the cost of them back to my card. In a little more than a couple of weeks I will be able to post an update and start the Gelcoat restoration. Not to worry plenty of pictures will be posted.

MacPointMan