82 Wellcraft Scarab Warning buzzer/horn goes off under dash sometimes when driving

motrctykid

Recruit
Hey There Everyone,

I bought an older... 1982... Wellcraft Scarab. Sometimes when I am underway traveling at a normal cruising speed, a loud buzzer/horn sound goes off somewhere up under the instrument panel. I have gotten underneath and tried to find where this noise is comming from... but I don't see any sort of speaker or horn up under the panel. It is very loud when it goes off... and I assume it is some type of warning mechansim. It actually sounds like a loud home smoke detector going off. If I put the boat in neutral for a minute or so the sound will stop. But then after underway for a little bit the sound goes off again. Does anyone know what this might be? The sound is coming from right underneath the instrument panel somewhere.

Thanx a million for your help!!!

KC4YIN

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 82 Wellcraft Scarab Warning buzzer/horn goes off under dash sometimes when drivin

More than likely it means your engine is overheating and you need to get the water pump serviced ASAP. When underway you are putting a heavier load on the engine and the worn out water pump can't keep up. When you slow down and go to neutral you take all the load off the engine and the water pump can cool it. What does your engine temp gauge read under these varying conditions?
You really need to check that water pump!!!!!

JasonBo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 82 Wellcraft Scarab Warning buzzer/horn goes off under dash sometimes when drivin

is it an outboard? possiable mix alarm for oil

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

More than likely it means your engine is overheating and you need to get the water pump serviced ASAP. When underway you are putting a heavier load on the engine and the worn out water pump can't keep up. When you slow down and go to neutral you take all the load off the engine and the water pump can cool it. What does your engine temp gauge read under these varying conditions?
You really need to check that water pump!!!!!

Absolutley right!! Almost guarantee it is an overheat. Your water pump is probably failing. Higher rpm means higher heat. And vice versa. When it cools off buzzer stops.

Get that thing replasced before your motor cooks itself. Fairly cheap fix versus a new motor. Be quick no more outings.
Good luck

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard detroitboy!!

Can be gear lube indicator too although the boat itself is too old for that. The alarm is a small black disk in most cases. Like a very thick quarter.

motrctykid

Recruit

Thanxs everyone for that info... I should have said that the Engines are Mercruiser 200 outboards. The boat was converted professionally several years ago. Used to have i/o's. Would outboards give the same warning for water pump/overheating issues? I don't think the temperature guages work.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

My understanding of the audible buzzer is it can be related to a number of issues. It's there so if something goes wrong (not just overheating) it will sound the alarm and your supposed to shut her down and look for the cause. I wouldn't go about removing it, but as suggested look into the cause of it. It could be overheating, but could also be other issues.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The warning buzzer could be an indication of overheat or the VRO is not working properly. Either way get it fixed before you use the boat again or you'll be in for an expensive overhaul.