Water logged foam... best way to dry out

Status
Not open for further replies.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
no I'm not going to cut the top off my boat and scoop handfuls of that crap out. I'm wondering what people have done in the past to dry their water logged foam. I have two access ports. Currently I have it parked in the sun, covered of course, and have two buckets of DampRid under the deck. Seems to be working but very slowly. I've considered getting a battery powered fan to circulate the air under there. Also, I've heard of using carb cleaner or other alcohol based stuff to spray around down there. Any suggestions would be great, besides cutting the top off of course!!!

Philster

Captain
Re: Water logged foam... best way to dry out

Go over to resto forum, or save time and read this:

It won't dry out.

If she has 250 lbs of waterlogged foam, you might get 20 - 30 lbs of water out. The rest needs to be ripped out.

It's common to keep hunting for a better answer. A very frustrating subject, because hunting further doesn't ever get you what you want to hear.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The easiest way to dry it out is to pump in some foam dissolving solvent and let it all drain out into buckets.
Then install new stuff designed for the purpose.

45Auto

Commander

What kind of boat is it? If it has any wood in it and your foam is waterlogged, then your transom and stringers are probably rotten as well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You can always cut the top off your boat and scoop handfuls of that crap out.

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do all boats have this crap? I can't seem to find mine. Or maybe I am just not really wanting to look hard to find the obvious

Moody Blue

Captain

no I'm not going to cut the top off my boat and scoop handfuls of that crap out. I'm wondering what people have done in the past to dry their water logged foam. I have two access ports. Currently I have it parked in the sun, covered of course, and have two buckets of DampRid under the deck. Seems to be working but very slowly. I've considered getting a battery powered fan to circulate the air under there. Also, I've heard of using carb cleaner or other alcohol based stuff to spray around down there. Any suggestions would be great, besides cutting the top off of course!!!

Think what you want and try different approaches for as long as your patience holds out, BUT, it will not dry out once it has gotten wet. There is no magical cure or chemical or technique that will dry out the foam. ONLY way is to mechanically remove it. The sooner you get to digging it out the sooner you'll be rid of the stuff.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

One of the major culprits to water intrusion, water weight and soaked foam are transducer screw-holes...they just are not necessary any longer...unless you can afford the repairs.

I'll second, third, fourth, and fifth what everyone else here has said. I've rebuilt/restored two boats, so have been there and done that. Before too long you'll have soft spots in your deck, you're stringers will be trash, and very likely the transom will be junk as well.

As you're rebuilding your boat you need to figure out how water got to the foam in the first place and ensure that it can't happen again. On the first boat I rebuilt the foam was actually dry, but water had gotten into the transom and stringers because of some improperly installed hardware. On the second the previous owner left it sit out in the weather uncovered. I firmly believe that it's possible for foam to stay dry in a boat if you design for the fact that water WILL get into the boat - make sure that water has a safe path to the bilge.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

the best way I have found to dry out water logged foam is to put the foam into a dumpster....Welcome to the "I have a boat full of water logged foam " club...now , grab a short , thick chunk of anchor line , bite down on it,...and rip yer deck up , and get that foam outta yer boat mate ! :D

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 16' Welcraft CCF I like the design and features of the boat, however the middle area under the deck holds water. It doesn't drain to the bilge. Looks like it'll be going on craigslist for the next sucker......

NYBo

Admiral

I am going to disagree with the consensus here. Yes, the foam WILL dry out. Of course, it will take maybe a decade of dry storage. The rotten wood will also be dried out, and you will probably be able vacuum it out because it will have disintegrated by then.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Ya know... a vacuum chamber would dry one out..... maybe someone needs to build one on a trailer and go around charging big bucks drying out boats...... of course they'll just soak up water again.....:rolleyes:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol.......just in case anyone didn't quite understand about drying the foam.....

it will never dry out.....if by some length of time and several heat / fan sources and an easy bake oven..you do manage to dry it out...... once the foam touches water again.....it will instantly re soak.....just like a sponge.

there are four options to a person with a waterlogged boat.....

1. a match and a gallon of gasoline.
2. a land fill.
3. sell it and rip someone off.
4.roll up your sleeves and get to work.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its a 16' Welcraft CCF I like the design and features of the boat, however the middle area under the deck holds water. It doesn't drain to the bilge. Looks like it'll be going on craigslist for the next sucker......
So I guess you're going to sell the boat to some "sucker" & not tell him/her about the wet foam issue. What goes around, comes around pal. That's it, ruin someone else's boating experience 'cuz your too lazy to fix your own boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

there are four options to a person with a waterlogged boat.....

1. a match and a gallon of gasoline.
2. a land fill.
3. sell it and rip someone off.
4.roll up your sleeves and get to work.

Well said. ;)

There are no shortcut's available for wet foam.......... :(

Based on your other posts...... this boat/motor has not lived up to expectations. You have the opportunity to correct the situation from both boat and motor. Restorations only require commitment and work. Who know's ......you might enjoy the work.......... it is very rewarding;)

... however the middle area under the deck holds water. It doesn't drain to the bilge.

That's always the problem, not the fact that flotation foam is present. If flotation foam and water stay apart there's never a problem. In fact it takes a long long time for foam to soak up water, and I'm convinced that the modern 2 part foam is superior to what was used a decade or two ago.

Looks like it'll be going on craigslist for the next sucker......

Maybe you can do it but I couldn't live with myself if I sold something I claimed was in good condition and knew otherwise.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I knew my comment about reselling the boat would get a bunch of you all wound up. Fact is, I purchased it cheap and knew it had issues, its just been one after another w/the motor and now everyone on here has got me thinking the damn hull is gonna break in two next time out!!! This is what I've come to realize since buying the boat 5 months ago. The previous owner trailered it w/o straps from miami to tampa and a wheel on the trailer flew off. the boat hull cracked above both wheels, where the bottom meets the sides, about a foot long on both sides. He did an OK repair job, which began to fail right after i purchased it, this began letting water in the middle section. I repaired the cracks, and now water only gets in there if it rains hard while we are out on it. I have resealed the port holes, and found other drill/mount holes in the floor that need to be filled. the water intrusion seems to have been a problem for about a year, and since I've owned it i syphon/wet vac all the water out when i get home, if it needs it. I'm a full time student, live in an apt, and can't take on a huge rebuild right now, maybe in 2 years. The floor doesn't have any soft spots, transom is solid. The bottom of the hull is scraped up and has chips in the gelcoat along the stringers. I certainly wouldn't be able to resell it as "good" condition, but for the price range one may find john boats, a rough center console with a few issues isn't too bad a deal. I'm gonna keep it for awhile, it's been a learning experience, and you are right, there is satisfaction from knowing you fixed something. I get pleasure from opening the hatch and seeing that water isn't leaking into the middle area. I'm not overly worried that my stringers are rotten and the hull garbage. I believe this boat will last me until i can afford a better one. I use this forum for its intended purpose: a source of FREE information. You guys can beat me up all you want, i've got thick skin, i can take it :)

Ok, I knew my comment about reselling the boat would get a bunch of you all wound up.

Well, I for one have been screwed over by people selling boats and parts that weren't as advertised and I bet most of the others who commented on that have been as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.