Bayliner or FourWinds?

duanemc

Seaman Apprentice
thinking about buying new boat and pretty much have it down to either a Bayliner 175 or a Fourwinds 180le anyone have any idea which is better the bayliner I can get for 1500.00 cheaper. Bayliner is 145000.00 and the Fourwinds is 15999.00
what do you all think?
Duane

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bayliner or FourWinds?

(Not Bayliner bashing) but I'm thinking the FourWinns will have a better resale value.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

easy..... FourWinns not (fourWinds)... just google the two Vs. eachother once;)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

$145,000 for a bayliner??? whooooo :eek:

Just kiddin. Typically the four winns will be better quality, but it all depends on how the boats were taken care of. the bayliner properly taken care of could be a better deal than a neglected four winns, it just depends.

smokintoad

Seaman Apprentice

Ummm

this is not like Ginger vs. Maryanne.

its more like Shania Twain vs. Rosie O'Donnell. :D

smokintoad

Seaman Apprentice

Even if you get a Mayann, Ginger or Shaniah, If you don't take care of em, they end up like this:

Attachments

• GI.JPG
    GI.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 1

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

thinking about buying new boat and pretty much have it down to either a Bayliner 175 or a Fourwinds 180le anyone have any idea which is better the bayliner I can get for 1500.00 cheaper. Bayliner is 145000.00 and the Fourwinds is 15999.00
what do you all think?
Duane

and 18 foot 145,000 $ bayliner?! WHAT! :eek:

I wouldn't spend 14,500 on a bayliner.

I did spend 8k on one and it's a great boat!

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

$145,000 for a bayliner??? whooooo :eek:

Just kiddin. Typically the four winns will be better quality, but it all depends on how the boats were taken care of. the bayliner properly taken care of could be a better deal than a neglected four winns, it just depends.

How good WHO took care of it???......... the dealer??? he's buying a "NEW" boat.

BoomerSooner

Seaman Apprentice

Four Winns...and that's all I'm going to say about that.

smokintoad

Seaman Apprentice

OK, OK, OK

MY bad.

All things being equal, one should make most if not all of the price difference on resale.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

FourWinns is, IMO, a better choice for a variety of reasons.

And now, the inevitable "however. . ."

The same amount of money (and I know we're talking Canadian money here, but that only makes things better for you) will buy a VASTLY better late model used boat that will depreciate far less in the first 5 years of ownership than either of the new boats you're considering.

If your heart is set on either of these boats, then go for it. Just understand that the chief disadvantage to purchasing a new, low-end bowrider is that you will see massive depreciation in the first 5 years of ownership. This may or may not matter to you, it depends on how long you intend to keep the boat, but just be aware that lower-end boats are very hard hit by depreciation.

Grouse

tcgobucks

Seaman

FourWinns is, IMO, a better choice for a variety of reasons.

And now, the inevitable "however. . ."

The same amount of money (and I know we're talking Canadian money here, but that only makes things better for you) will buy a VASTLY better late model used boat that will depreciate far less in the first 5 years of ownership than either of the new boats you're considering.

If your heart is set on either of these boats, then go for it. Just understand that the chief disadvantage to purchasing a new, low-end bowrider is that you will see massive depreciation in the first 5 years of ownership. This may or may not matter to you, it depends on how long you intend to keep the boat, but just be aware that lower-end boats are very hard hit by depreciation.

Grouse

Gotta agree....I'd seriously consider a higher end brand, even if it's 5 or 6 years old. You'll likely save yourself $4-5000 initially and you can keep it 10 years and get 50% of your money back.

duanemc

Seaman Apprentice

oops that was supposedto be 14500.00 for the bayliner my bad lol The two are pretty similiar and yeah I didn't take in to account depreciation. From all I see online they are pretty evenly priced I would take a better class of used boat but bank will want a new boat first I think.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops that was supposedto be 14500.00 for the bayliner my bad lol The two are pretty similiar and yeah I didn't take in to account depreciation. From all I see online they are pretty evenly priced I would take a better class of used boat but bank will want a new boat first I think.

I would ask your bank and not assume anything. I have heard of banks refusing to finance boats older than 10 years old in some cases, but don't assume new is your only option.

If you are borrowing money, then IMO it makes even more sense to consider how the boat will depreciate. With a new low-end bowrider, you will be updside down (oweing more than the boat is worth) from (for all practicle purposes) day 1. Buy a quality used boat and you at least have the chance of at the very least staying level or even ahead of the depreciation.

Also, be aware that many dealers can offer or will allow you to buy an extended warranty on used boats. I think this is one of the main advantages that buying from a dealer can offer to new boaters who may be reluctant to buy used in case something goes wrong.

Grouse

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FourWinns...hands down.

you will make up the difference and quite a bit more on resale.

NADA (I know...useless)

2005 Bayliner 175, Average retail: $4,830.00
2005 FourWinns 180IE, Average retail: $8,310