Which do you like better, Neoprene or Nylon PFD?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Looking at getting some new PFD's, and was wondering if the neoprene are better or more comfortable than the nylon. Right now all the PFD's in the boat are nylon, and looking at neoprene, I thought it might grab or rub bare skin.

We don't water ski or tube, the jackets are just for when we are in the boat, and the kids like to wear them when playing in the waves at the ocean.

Are the neoprene comfortable on bare skin? What do you use?

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Which do you like better, Neoprene or Nylon PFD?

Neoprene jackets are comfortable to me, I've never experienced any discomfort with them. What I like about Neo, is how quickly they dry out. Seems like they dry a lot faster than your regular super store PDF's.

Hope it helps
J

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Neoprene all the way! :D

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Neoprene is much more comfortable to wear. I've worn both and only have nylon for less expensive spares. Rest of the regulars on the boat, all have neoprene.

And if you don't go in the water, or do fishing and want REALLY comfortable, and don't mind spending the extra $$$, these are very lightweight, comfortable. Nylon outer with neoprene type collar.

http://www.iboats.com/Mustang-Survi...46401489--**********.963717999--view_id.52139

Last edited:

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Neoprene has my vote...
Very confortable.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Neoprene is far more resistant to UV and to cleaning chemicals (even dilute bleach) than nylon.

hunter0527

Seaman

definitely go neoprene. it is much better. nylon jackets just feel cheep.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just to make sure I am identifying the jackets correctly, the neoprene are solid sponge rubber with the smooth shiny surface and are heavier than the cheap nylong jackets, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

sheridon

Seaman Apprentice

I like the Neoprene PFD better than that Nylon.

I just picked up 2 adult sized Neoprene from BJ's Wholesale Club for $40 a piece. Gonna pick up a tube this week and go hit the water!!:D

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are correct. Neoprene are solid "rubber" feeling.

They are heavier, yes, but once on you never notice until you are in the water. They support and float better and are extremely more comfortable.

If you hadn;t noticed yet, I vote neoprene. We have replaced every jacket in our "arsenal" with them. I will never again wear anything but.

I love the dual security of the zipper and the straps. They fit snug and don't ride up like nylon.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You are correct. Neoprene are solid "rubber" feeling.

They are heavier, yes, but once on you never notice until you are in the water. They support and float better and are extremely more comfortable.

If you hadn;t noticed yet, I vote neoprene. We have replaced every jacket in our "arsenal" with them. I will never again wear anything but.

I love the dual security of the zipper and the straps. They fit snug and don't ride up like nylon.

Thanks Thad and everyone else who responded. Neoprene it is! Might get some good end of season sales coming up soon and pick them up for next year.

hunter0527

Seaman

I saw a few neoprene jackets at dicks sporting goods over the winter for like $30 on sale. They retailed for I think $90. If you wait there will be deals.

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Thad and everyone else who responded. Neoprene it is! Might get some good end of season sales coming up soon and pick them up for next year.

You are right! I have been buying up stuff like crazy. Wakeboard, ski, Life Jackets & tubes 30-70% off new at a lot of stores. Better hurry though cuz their stock is dwindling down.

I am pretty sure that all the accessories I bought for the boat is quickly approaching the cost of the boat itself ;)

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

NEO!

My wife, son, and I all have good neo jackets. I have cheapies for the others on the boat

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

NEO!

My wife, son, and I all have good neo jackets. I have cheapies for the others on the boat

I second that. We have good (Neo) Jackets for the family, if you are a guest you get a cheapy.

a70eliminator

Captain

Neoprene jackets are comfortable to me, I've never experienced any discomfort with them. What I like about Neo, is how quickly they dry out. Seems like they dry a lot faster than your regular super store PDF's.

Hope it helps
J

I notice just the opposite, My nylon vests sun dry in hardly no time at all, but the neoprene ones seem to take hours to dry, but I sure like their comfort.