Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which do you like better, Neoprene or Nylon PFD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which do you like better, Neoprene or Nylon PFD?

Looking at getting some new PFD's, and was wondering if the neoprene are better or more comfortable than the nylon. Right now all the PFD's in the boat are nylon, and looking at neoprene, I thought it might grab or rub bare skin.

We don't water ski or tube, the jackets are just for when we are in the boat, and the kids like to wear them when playing in the waves at the ocean.

Are the neoprene comfortable on bare skin? What do you use?
    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Re: Which do you like better, Neoprene or Nylon PFD?

Neoprene jackets are comfortable to me, I've never experienced any discomfort with them. What I like about Neo, is how quickly they dry out. Seems like they dry a lot faster than your regular super store PDF's.

Hope it helps
    J

Comment

Neoprene all the way!
      2001 Doral 250 SE

Comment

Neoprene is much more comfortable to wear. I've worn both and only have nylon for less expensive spares. Rest of the regulars on the boat, all have neoprene.

And if you don't go in the water, or do fishing and want REALLY comfortable, and don't mind spending the extra $$$, these are very lightweight, comfortable. Nylon outer with neoprene type collar.

http://www.iboats.com/Mustang-Surviv...-view_id.52139
        Last edited by NelsonQ; July 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM. Reason: additional info.
        2010 Hurricane SS 188 OB
        2010 Mercury Optimax 200HP / Mercury SS High Five 19P
        2010 Trailmaster SC trailer

Comment

Neoprene has my vote...
          Very confortable.
          1988 Glassport 190rx, Sport Cuddy, 19', 5.0 Mercruiser I/O, Alpha One, DIY WAKE fully loaded tower.
          2004 Chevy Avalanche ( 2500 )

UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION ( she will be awesome, to us anyway );
          http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...20Restoration/
          http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...tolliver/misc/
          http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...liver/Boating/

Comment

Neoprene is far more resistant to UV and to cleaning chemicals (even dilute bleach) than nylon.
            San Diego, CA "The 619"

2000 Sea Hunt Triton 172 CC, 2014 Mercury OptiMax 125

"It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission" -Colin Powell, et.al.

Comment

definitely go neoprene. it is much better. nylon jackets just feel cheep.

Comment

Just to make sure I am identifying the jackets correctly, the neoprene are solid sponge rubber with the smooth shiny surface and are heavier than the cheap nylong jackets, right? Or am I thinking of something else?
                sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

I like the Neoprene PFD better than that Nylon.

I just picked up 2 adult sized Neoprene from BJ's Wholesale Club for $40 a piece. Gonna pick up a tube this week and go hit the water!!

Comment

You are correct. Neoprene are solid "rubber" feeling.

They are heavier, yes, but once on you never notice until you are in the water. They support and float better and are extremely more comfortable.

If you hadn;t noticed yet, I vote neoprene. We have replaced every jacket in our "arsenal" with them. I will never again wear anything but.

I love the dual security of the zipper and the straps. They fit snug and don't ride up like nylon.
                    sigpicLivin' the Dream...Chasing Life

Comment

Originally posted by Thad View Post
                      You are correct. Neoprene are solid "rubber" feeling.

They are heavier, yes, but once on you never notice until you are in the water. They support and float better and are extremely more comfortable.

If you hadn;t noticed yet, I vote neoprene. We have replaced every jacket in our "arsenal" with them. I will never again wear anything but.

I love the dual security of the zipper and the straps. They fit snug and don't ride up like nylon.
                      Thanks Thad and everyone else who responded. Neoprene it is! Might get some good end of season sales coming up soon and pick them up for next year.

Comment

I saw a few neoprene jackets at dicks sporting goods over the winter for like $30 on sale. They retailed for I think $90. If you wait there will be deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                          Thanks Thad and everyone else who responded. Neoprene it is! Might get some good end of season sales coming up soon and pick them up for next year.
                          You are right! I have been buying up stuff like crazy. Wakeboard, ski, Life Jackets & tubes 30-70% off new at a lot of stores. Better hurry though cuz their stock is dwindling down.

I am pretty sure that all the accessories I bought for the boat is quickly approaching the cost of the boat itself
                          1997 SeaRay 175
                          3.0LX Mercruiser
                          Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

NEO!

My wife, son, and I all have good neo jackets. I have cheapies for the others on the boat
                            1987 Glassport 165rx

Comment

Originally posted by maharg View Post
                              NEO!

My wife, son, and I all have good neo jackets. I have cheapies for the others on the boat
                              I second that. We have good (Neo) Jackets for the family, if you are a guest you get a cheapy.
                              Your boat may be new, but I'm not making payments every time I go to the lake!
                              69' Hydroswift Hardtop 18' o/b
                              My restoration thread:
                              https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...30#post2848330
                              89' Cajun Espirit 185 Travis edition
                              88' Johnson GT 150
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X