Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

doodle

Cadet
I have a 2006 bayliner, 3.0l 135 hp mercruiser inboard motor. It's a wakeboarding boat. But my friend wants to go deep sea fishing... Was wondering if this would be a good idea and will salt ruin the engine as well. Will the boat sink? Have you done it before? Thanks in advance.

1644782-2.jpg

1644782-1.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

The boat will float just fine in salt water. Motors exactly like yours run in salt water every day and never see fresh water.
I can't see from the picture if yours is an open bow. I assume it is. That means it will take in water in rough conditions. Not good. The boat is probably not set up for fishing at all since it is used for wakeboarding. There is safety gear that is needed for offshore fishing that you may not have. Based on the questions that you asked, you have no offshore experience at all, and that can mean trouble.
Let your buddy pay for a charter if he wants to go that badly....

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

A protected bay will be ok, but, IMO, I would never take that style boat out in the open ocean.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

People do strange things with their boats, and always seem to down play Mother Nature and her ability to ruin a perfect day.

I once saw 3 people going out Sebastian Inlet in a 16' canoe. One of our most dangerous inlets here in Florida.

So the short answer is, yes, you can take the boat out into the ocean. The REAL question is, SHOULD YOU?

That answer is NO! On a perfect day, with no wind or wave action you could get away with it. But is your life, and his, worth the short term fun you may have?

Things change quickly on the ocean, within minutes it can go from perfect to deadly and there are no second chances out there.

Leave your boat where you use it, that was what you chose it for. and find someone near you (on this forum?) that would like to trade a fishing trip for a wake boarding experience.

I am sure you will have no problem finding someone to go with.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your boat is too small for deep sea fishing. There is NO WAY I'd take it out on the open ocean myself.

I own a 20 ft bayliner and live on long island sounds (kind of half ocean half sound) and there are somedays that even 20 feet isn't enough to be safe.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Yes, you can take your boat out in the ocean. You can put a boat in any body of water as long as you don't overwhelm the capicity of it's design. If that wasn't so, how would little wooden lifeboats have stayed afloat for months on end out in the middle of the ocean?

It all depends on weather/water conditions. I have been 13 miles out in a 17' boat, but prior to going we checked the marine forecast very carefully. Most boats, if equipped properly, will handle more than you think without issue.

The questions you need to ask youself are:

1) Is the weather forecast conducive to offshore fishing in an 18' boat? Florida has a tendency to build afternoon thunderstorms off shore, but that is usually in the start of the summer season. Usually before April and after July, the weather is pretty tame. However, if you don't mind the rain (and lightning :eek:), the only issue is the waves that kick up. They can average 4-6'. On the other hand, after the storm has passed, the water are as flat as glass.

2) Do you have the boating knowledge to go offshore? Local knowledge of the waterways as well as the inlets? Going in and out of inlets during incoming and outgoing tides are a different animal all together. I have gone out Ponce Inlet (which is relatively tame) during beautiful weather and have had to transverse 8' waves. Once out, it was great. but getting past the rocks and other boats was a little nervewracking. I have also come in with 12' waves and i was downright nervous. (read:scared). And that was after 10 years of doing it.

3) Do you have the equipment? Fishfinder? GPS/Chartplotter? Necessary safety gear? EPIRB? VHF radio? Deepsea fishing gear? Large net? Live well? Bait cleaning station? Fish box or large cooler? All I'm saying is that maybe an 18' wakeboard boat isn't really designed to do deepsea fishing. I hope your carpet is snap-out or you don't mind the blood stains.

Bottom line is, anyboat can be taken anywhere depending on the circumstances. 18' is big enough to go off shore. there are a ton of 18' fishing boat miles and miles off shore because that's what they were designed to do. Yours was designed to wake board behind. Trade boats with or go with a friend first to get your feet wet and see if it's something you want to try.

If you decide to go, let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back...just in case. Sorry about the wall of text.

Best of luck.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMO, bay or near shore fishing definitely. Offshore no.

After a day in the salt make sure you flush the motor well on the hose, and wash every inch of it in soapy water and the boat will be fine for occasional salt water use. Extended or routine use and your hardware will start rusting, staining and falling off.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

If near the outerbanks its ok on the inland side. I would be very affraid to take that boat on the open ocean. A smooth day can turn into 6' rollers real quick and that boat is not designed to deal with those. You may be ok but I wouldn't risk it.

If you do decide to put your boat in salt water make sure your flush the motor with fesh water asap. Rinse down the whole boat and get rid of any salt residue asap. Salt water is the greatest corrosive on earth, just look at the cars in NE Ohio to know that.

Good Luck!!!

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure, it's the sinking part that's the risk.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Pay for a charter, you DO NOT have an ocean going vessel....

sasto

Captain

I have a 2006 bayliner, 3.0l 135 hp mercruiser inboard motor. It's a wakeboarding boat. But my friend wants to go deep sea fishing... Was wondering if this would be a good idea and will salt ruin the engine as well. Will the boat sink? Have you done it before? Thanks in advance.

1644782-2.jpg

1644782-1.jpg

Where do you intend on taking your boat? Maybe find a local fisherman with you.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

Define "go Into", with no offshore experience you boat might "go into" the ocean a different way than your trying to communicate.

That being said, I have been on an 18' fish and ski off shore. Fun?, sure if you are an adrenaline junkie and don't worry about your life.

In short, keep that on the fresh water and take a charter.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can probably go deep sea fishing but you are probably
not coming back in that boat.

Do not go offshore with that boat. It was not designed for that use. Tell your friend to charter a boat.

Philster

Captain

If the question has to be asked, the answer has to be "no".

The answer is really about the boat pilot/captain. I say, "No"... And I'll be darned if someone can actually offer a better yes/no answer.

All good info above.

I know oceans well. 35 years and the inlets still make me feel like I am daring death sometimes. It's hard to sum it all up at once, but...

The smaller and less ocean-fit the boat is, then the more times you will be required to escape death.

The less experienced the captain, the less likely you'll be able to escape death.

Now consider the OP's question again.

sasto

Captain

I know oceans well. 35 years and the inlets still make me feel like I am daring death sometimes. It's hard to sum it all up at once, but...

The less experienced the captain, the less likely you'll be able to escape death.[/I]

Down here most have been in the ocean in only an innertube. Fished half mile offshore in one. But... we have also entered an inlet with 2400HP and 60 feet of boat... my pulse rate went to 160. Once (some time ago, finally grew up) we exited St. Lucie Inlet in a 10 foot alum. craft with a '67 3hp motor and 2 pints of fuel.

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same exact boat as yours (minus the wake tower). I use it almost exclusively on the great lakes, and typically go 5-10 miles off shore. Some will tell you that the great lakes can be worse, in some respects, than the ocean....but I'm not an ocean person so personally I don't know.
Some of the things I do to go 10 miles out in big water:

ALWAYS keep the snap on bow cover on...protects for a (meaning 1) accidental wave over the bow. Multiple waves over the bow=you're toast.

I installed a second bilge.

I installed a marine radio.

I came up with a way to put a small kicker motor on the swim platform. Could be usefull in a pinch if the main motor dies.

I NEVER go out for even a few minutes, if the forecast for the entire day calls for more than 3 footers.

I always wear a life jacket.

If you followed all this advice, I would think you would be okay out to the same distance (10 miles or so).

Tim

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, I forgot to mention...here on the great lakes, I've seen days where there are guys out there in 12' jon boats....30 minutes later, 40 foot boats are looking for a harbor, so you really can not day dream, etc.

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought, maybe leave the ski boat at home, and look into renting something designed for the ocean for a day (or however long you are there). Be a good way to get experience.

I think my first question would be, where are you located? Had you filled out your profile I would not have had to ask this but it is extremely relevant to your question.
Your boat is not an ocean going vessel and you are definitely not wise enough to chance your own, let alone someone elses life offshore in it. Not meaning this to be an insult, you just need to gain experience before you tackle this endevor with the PROPER equipment, let alone in that death trap.

Here in Florida we have two different coast bordered by the sea, one if the gulf of mexico, she is mostly calm with light wave action inside of 5 miles and I see boats like yours within that distance dropping a hook with little difficulties or preparation past checking the local weather report. The other coast is bordered by the atlantic, she is a relentless bi-polar unforgiving wench. She will take boats like yours and tease them out into the depths with glassy waters in the morning only to to turn to her ugly side in the afternoon. She then goes from glassy to 6 foot, disorganized breakers which will chew your boat up and spit it out leaving you to the mercy of the plentiful sharks which will happily gather around you and wait for you to die from exposure so they don't have to utter any more energy than absolutely necessary to consume you. and yes, she turns on you just that fast, I have seen it go from glass to 5 foot in a matter of less than five minutes without a cloud in the sky.
next time you buy a boat, if fishing is a possibility of the agenda, by something more utilitarian that is suited to both. It's a lesson I had to learn the hard way as well.

GatorMike

Ensign

There is no real clearcut answer to that question. There are days when I wouldn't take a 60 footer in the ocean and there are days when I'd feel save near shore in a rowboat. My gut feeling is if you had to ask that question don't do it.

I take a boat not much (if any) bigger than yours across the gulfstream to Bimini all the time but my boat is equipt for such trips. I'd be willing to bet you don't even have a good marine radio, GPS or EPERB. Your life jackets are probably fine for inshore but not offshore. I seldom go out more than about 15 to 20 miles without a buddy boat. There is just too much that can go wrong out there.