So is chris craft really a good boat?

thewiles

Cadet
Silly question I know. But am new to baoting and just got an 83' chris craft deck boat. I love it. Bartered the guy down to $2500 and blue book is $5000. he had $2300 in engine work done last fall and it run like a top.
Everyone I talk to says these are some of the nicest boats made. I don't know much about boats and was just wondering what you all thought?
j

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
Re: So is chris craft really a good boat?

I can't comment on the newer ones, but my father owned a 1974 Chris Craft Catalina, and other than some engine things (found the problem after the boat was sold) it was a rock solid seaworthy boat.

They have a very good reputation, and although I have heard rumors the late 70s through 80s CCs were build less solid than the earlier boats, I think this holds true for most manufacturers.

scipper77

Commander

Chris craft is a premium brand. The company changed hands in the 80's but and around that time they made some boats that were not the ones there reputation is based on. Still pretty good boats but not the ones you brag about if you own a Chris Craft. I have an 85 scorpion that is pretty much your standard 17' open bow. I'd imagine that your '83 is a similar situation, good boat but not legendary.

Remember without any supporting facts this post is just my opinion so don't take it as fact.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Have to agree with what's been written above. They've had their up and down years but to the best of my knowledge none of them was 'junk.'

I'd consider mine an 'up' year boat, even though the brand was owned by OMC which was having problems of its own. Top-notch materials and very good workmanship. Hopefully yours is one of those :)

Good luck with the boat!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

BTW, although this adds nothing to the conversation, Chris Craft is one of the most well known boats out there. Not only that, but you will probably see more older Chris Crafts than any other boat at any dock/marina. At our place we have maybe 35 boats hit the water in the summer. Upwards of 8-10 are older (mid 50s to late 70s) Chris Crafts.

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I?ll agree with everyone saying they are a good quality boat but with yours being 27 years old, it?s only as good as the care it?s received since it was new.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Mine being almost 30 years old i would have to say it is a well made boat.
I have had the floor panels up and the hull is all hand laid heavy glass mat.

I did replace the transom but it was because the original owner left it wet slipped its whole life and a splashwell drain had come out.

All the gauges and controls are original and work great.

It rides like a Caddy in chop and will take some pretty big waves with no problem.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some are better than others, but I've never seen a bad Chris Craft. Of course, I'm biased :)

chriscraft.jpg

42 years on the Great Lakes and I'd put her up against anything built today!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

just got an 83' chris craft deck boat.j

I had to read that twice!! At first glance, I thought it said he had an 83 foot chris Craft deck boat :eek:

That was going to be a monster!

Summer Fun

Banned

The older Chris Craft boats were built to last . :)
Good luck with your new ride & stay SAFE out there . :)