Need Quiet Boat and Jet Ski

ferguson

Cadet
Hello, I have a hearing sensitivity, where loud nosies will cause a ringing in my ear. Iam looking to acquire a boat and jet ski for my family of four. Can someone recommend a quiet setup for us. I have heard that the 4 stroke engine are quieter than the 2 strokes. Is an I/O quieter than an outboard. I would appreciate any help. Thank you, Ferguson

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Need Quiet Boat and Jet Ski

ferguson, yes, generally the I/O's are quieter than 2 strokes in both applications.<br />The I/O's generally turn lower RPM at wide open throttle and tend to be quieter overall.<br />The 4-stroke PWC's might be slightly quieter, but not much, as they use a tuned exhaust for max power, torque, etc.....<br />The new breed of 2-strokes have come along way, and produce much less noise than those of even 10 years ago... Good luck shopping! :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I/O is definately the quietest, followed by 4 stroke outboard, then 2 stroke outboard. As far as PWCs, The 4 stroke is quieter than the 2 stroke, but it is also spendier. If money isn't an object, then the I/O boat and 4 stroke PWC is your best bet, but you should try some examples. Your hearing will be more aggrevated by a certain frequency range, so you may find that while the boat/PWC may be louder at one frequency range, it may be less aggrevating than a quieter setup that has a more offensive frequency range. You may just have to wear earplugs if you can't find a decent setup....Good Luck...

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I totally agree with the hearing being more senstive at certain ranges. Most jet skis are pretty quiet (just high pitched) if the exhaust hasn't been touched. Skis typically use a water box (a muffler that injects water to be used as a baffle) so the exhaust note is tame. Most higher performance exhaust are simply loud and agervating so stay away from modified skis. The 4 strokes seem (to me) to have a much lower tone.

lilthundr

Seaman Apprentice

I definitely agree with the fact that I/O's are by far the least noisy.<br />As for PWC's, the only quiet ones are the ones sitting on a trailer.

ZmOz

Captain

Last time I was out, the boat that towed me in was so quiet I had to wonder if it was even running. I don't know what the engine was, but it was a pretty new IO. My 2 stroke mercury, on the other hand, is so loud that I can not hear my 180 watt stereo at full volume while at WOT.

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah...I still want it louder though... :D

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Most inboards are super quiet at idle. They do pick up in the noise department at WOT...but the two stroke is the worse...kind of like running a chain saw! :D <br /><br />This was my first year with an inboard and it's a pure boating pleasure. It's more of a pain come winter storage time, but that's only once a year.

mattttt25

Commander

does everyone agree that i/o's are quieter than the 4 stroke outboards? my buddy has a 260hp merc i/o and it sort of rumbles, but still not very loud. i've walked by a 225 hp 4 stroke outboard and didn't even know it was running.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

A lot of what makes an I/O more quiet is just the fact that it is in a compartment that has sound absortion material, capped off by a lid that is also a thick sunpad. You take the sunpad or doghouse off and run her wide open and it is a different story. 4 stroke outboards are a bit noisier at speed just because it is out in the open, and they can only put so much stuff in the cowl to dampen all that mechanical and air intake noise. None of it matters, my 69 Merc 1250 is loud enough to make me think a Harley-Davidson is quiet, so my perspective is a bit scewed.... :D

flydangler

Seaman Apprentice

Around here most civilized folks think there are only three reasons people use PWCs:<br /><br />1. Go fast<br /><br />2. Run loud<br /><br />3. Bother people<br /><br />I'm sure there are reasonable civil and courteous PWC owners out there, I've just NEVER seen them.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Wut JasonJ said. I/O noise level varies from boat to boat, depending on the construction of the motor compartment. A cheap I/O setup will be just as loud as a 4-stroke outboard.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

tylerin

Commander

ferguson. I think i/o are quieter than an outboard, and if its not quiet enough you can add more sound proofing to the motor cover or "doghouse". as for the jet ski I haven't a clue which one is quieter

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the quietest boats I've ever ridden in was a friend's boat with an I/O and an "Alaskan bulkhead", made out of canvas, to separate the passenger area from the back of the boat. The alaskan bulkhead is the very next mod for my own boat in the spring.

NCOffSeason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a Glastron GX 185 with the 4.3 I/O and it is very quiet. It's nice to cruise at 25 - 35 and be able to carry on a conversation with your passengers. It does get louder at WOT, but we rarley need to run that fast.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My better halfs kayak is about the quietest boat I have heard...