Best fabric for boat cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Wondering what marine fabric is generally considered to be the best for making boat covers? Want something water proof, and will hold up to UV all year.

Any recommendations?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Best fabric for boat cover?

Sunbrella's hard to beat.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Yeah, I`d look at the Sunbrella materials. If you maintain it, it`ll stay in great shape and last a long time (both from fading and waterproof)

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

I talked to 2 canvas makers today, and I approved a new top finally, for my boat.... a complete convertible cover, with bow cover, and the bimini top as well...

I was told by BOTH these places, as well as the place I spoke to last week, not to use Sunbrella. All 3 have told me they would use it if I wanted, but said, "if it tears, it is toast" and all 3 recommended Top Gun. There was another thread a couple of days ago which I replied in about this, and Top Gun is what seems to be "the most popular among canvas makers and buyers alike" maybe because of it's price?? But all 3 swore Top Gun is a heavier guage and more likely to last and be mroe durable than Sunbrella...

I do not dispute sunbrella is quality cover, but just sayign what I was told. Sunbrella has darker colors, and Top Gun is offered in lighter covers.... lemme do a quick search here....

ah yes, here is the thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=407426

to each their own. I am satisfied with what I was told about Top Gun, and I'm gonna go with it....

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I made my cover out of a material called WeatherMax 80:
http://leesailcovers.com/_wsn/page8.html

It's only a couple of months old at this point so I cannot attest to UV stability, but I can say that it is remarkably waterproof, breathable, and does not stretch and sag like Sunbrella does.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

My Sunbrella cover is ten years old. It has a couple of very small tears that have not expanded at all, so I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "toast". I've been extremely happy with it, but that doesn't mean there's not something better. Let us know your thoughts when it's done. Having a cover custom made is money well spent.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My Sunbrella cover is ten years old. It has a couple of very small tears that have not expanded at all, so I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "toast". I've been extremely happy with it, but that doesn't mean there's not something better. Let us know your thoughts when it's done. Having a cover custom made is money well spent.

Does you cover sit in the full sun all day? Mine will. Its a trailer queen and all but 6 or 8 weeks of the year, its parked in the back yard in the sun, summer heat and winter cold (NJ).

Thanks!

BTW, I know Topgun is a very good product, and its on my list.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Does you cover sit in the full sun all day? Mine will. Its a trailer queen and all but 6 or 8 weeks of the year, its parked in the back yard in the sun, summer heat and winter cold (NJ).

Thanks!

BTW, I know Topgun is a very good product, and its on my list.

Yes sir. Mine lives on a trailer as well and spends her off water time in the back yard or driveway. Our winters can't compare to yours, but I suspect the inverse is true for our summers. We're going into our ninth or tenth straight day of 95+ with a couple of triple digit days thrown in there for fun. Sort of makes you want to have a boat so you can go to the lake.;)

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Mark,

Both my covers have been Top-Gun... My full waterline cover sits in the sun all day... I've seen no signs of degradation at all... I highly recommend this product... My canvas shop likes it better than Sunbrella...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just curious. How does the cost compare between the two?

bear_69cuda

Commander

My canvas maker has over 32 years in the business...

Here are some facts about Sunbrella and Top-Gun

Sunbrella data-

More colors (every color in the book)
The company is owned by one of the larges fabric company's in the world. (huge marketing budget)
It is an acrylic fabric, (is similar to cotton under a microscope)
It does not have very good abrasion or tear characteristics (Massive re-enforcement required for trailering on the road)
After 3-5 years most customers re-treat/waterproof
$14-19 a yard.
Tends to stretch after being wet.
Howard Lohause has ~ 2 doz customers aver a month in regards, to re-treating covers less than 3 years old.
lasts 5-7 years
very breathable
good UV characteristics
poor water and leak resistance

Top-Gun data

Great abrasion and tear characteristics
good UV characteristics
Does not stretch very strong
superior water repelling and resistance
lasts 12 years+
$11-13 a yard
Made of polyester (looks like wire under microscope)
good breathing characteristics
Only 20 colors

a pic of my cover

26MAY10%20435.jpg

bear_69cuda

Commander

Also FYI.

Sunbrella started out in the awning business.

Top Gun started out in the marine covering business..

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bear,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Top Gun is the way to go.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Interesting. Certainly worth considering come new cover time. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Interesting comments. I make boat covers and I only use Sunbrella. My Sunbrella covers easily last 10 years. Its not the fabric that wears out on these covers...its the thread that sews them together that wears out. Most important thing to do to make a cover last is to keep it clean.

I have never heard the comment that Top Gun lasts longer than Sunbrella. Usually the other way around if not equal. As far as price goes, the prices listed by bear_69cuda are totally inaccurate as the wholesale price that the canvas maker pays is way lower. In all reality, the difference in price of the fabric is pretty insignificant because the labor is most of the cost of the cover. Top Gun is more difficult to sew in my opinion which is one of the reasons I don't use it.

Personally,the Top Gun doesn't breathe well enough. Even in California where I am that can be a problem. Its also not as color fast as Sunbrella.

If you really want to learn about the differences in the fabrics, go to this forum where people in the business hang out.

http://www.get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?board=1

45Auto

Commander

My 87' Sea Ray Sundancer 300 has a full set of covers which are original to the boat and made of Sunbrella. They are 23 years old and look like new with the exception of one of the biminis has about 6 inches of pulled thread. I was so impressed with them that I went out and bought a Sunbrella cover for my 22' boat last year. The cheaper covers lasted me 2 or 3 years before they had to be replaced.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Interesting comments.
the prices listed by bear_69cuda are totally inaccurate as the wholesale price that the canvas maker pays is way lower.

If you really want to learn about the differences in the fabrics, go to this forum where people in the business hang out.

http://www.get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?board=1

So you're saying he's lying to me? :eek: His 32 years of making boat covers in all kinds of material doesn't mean squat? :rolleyes: Curious then as to why people from Chicago, Milwaukee and other distant places, DNR boats, small boats , massive boats hear about Lohaus Covers, seek him and his small business out for their boat covers due high quality, and honest pricing... I'm no fabrics expert, but I know with all the thunderstorms my boat has been through, I never have water in my boat... And with the roof vents, I have more than adequate venting and breathing...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

He might be quoting the price after he adds his profit. I have been making covers for years as well and I also know how much Sunbrella costs and its not the price you are quoting!

Again, the price of the fabric is a smaller percentage than what the labor is. For example, a small cockpit cover may only have 5 yards of material and the final cost is $400 depending on the labor in your area. So, even if the price difference was $5, the the total difference between the 2 tops would be $25 for material. The difference in price of a full cover would also be negligible.

As far as a cockpit enclosure, I prefer the clean look of sunbrella without any silly looking roof vents.

As far as your comment that I am saying your canvas maker is lying to you, not sure where you get that from. All I said was that your prices are inaccurate. I purchase my fabric from the largest wholesaler of Sunbrella in the nation and I am going by what I pay for the fabric if you buy it wholesale.

Like I said before, one of the reasons I don't use Top Gun is because its a pain in the but to sew. If you look at the picture of the seams in the boat cover you posted there are all sort of creases and puckers along them. That is a characteristic of Top Gun and it drives me nuts. A lot of people have problems sewing the stuff.

Use whatever you like or what the canvas maker is most comfortable with. The difference between two tops is really the skill of the guy making the top because both products are going to last a long time. Its the seams that fail so less seams is better.

bear_69cuda

Commander

He might be quoting the price after he adds his profit. I have been making covers for years as well and I also know how much Sunbrella costs and its not the price you are quoting!

Again, the price of the fabric is a smaller percentage than what the labor is. For example, a small cockpit cover may only have 5 yards of material and the final cost is $400 depending on the labor in your area. So, even if the price difference was $5, the the total difference between the 2 tops would be $25 for material. The difference in price of a full cover would also be negligible.

As far as a cockpit enclosure, I prefer the clean look of sunbrella without any silly looking roof vents.

As far as your comment that I am saying your canvas maker is lying to you, not sure where you get that from. All I said was that your prices are inaccurate. I purchase my fabric from the largest wholesaler of Sunbrella in the nation and I am going by what I pay for the fabric if you buy it wholesale.

Like I said before, one of the reasons I don't use Top Gun is because its a pain in the but to sew. If you look at the picture of the seams in the boat cover you posted there are all sort of creases and puckers along them. That is a characteristic of Top Gun and it drives me nuts. A lot of people have problems sewing the stuff.

Use whatever you like or what the canvas maker is most comfortable with. The difference between two tops is really the skill of the guy making the top because both products are going to last a long time. Its the seams that fail so less seams is better.

I respect your experience and opinions. I was just relaying information I received from my cover maker over the phone, to help Mark make a decision about material. Correct price or not, I was only a messenger... Can you tell us how much the cost actually is? Or is that bad politics on iboats? I'm only curious... I have a Sunbrella cockpit cover for my Hurricane, and do like how it fits. But personally for me, the outdoor storage, and my long distance trailering, I feel Top Gun is a good choice for my application...

Peace brutha Bruce! :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Most important factors to pick for a material are:

1)Wear...both are good
2)Breathable...Sunbrella is best.
3)Color fastness...Sunbrella is best.
4)Waterproof...Top Gun is best but at the cost of breathability.

Price shouldn't be an issue for the consumer. For the shop making 100s of these a year, $50 per boat is significant and that is why many push other fabrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.