Buoy Question

ctahoe

Recruit
We are putting our boat on a buoy in Lake Tahoe and the owner of the buoy says the anchoring block for the buoy is 4500 LBS. Our boat is a 25' Chris Craft. How do we know if the anchoring block is big enough for this size boat?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Buoy Question

the owner of the buoy says the anchoring block for the buoy is 4500 LBS. Our boat is a 25' Chris Craft.

Ayuh,... It Is...

I'm holdin' a 34' houseboat, broad-side the prevailin' wind with a V8,+ an I4 motor blocks chained together at each end of the hull......
Less than ton of iron...
With long heavy chain in the rode, the anchor never really sees a Tug....Muchless a real Strain...

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Let me ask one question. If you had a 4500 pound anchor, do you think it would hold? Now, add the fact that securing to a mooring buoy provides better hold than an anchor and I really don't think you have a thing to worry about.

But just to be safe, what type of conditions will the anchorage have? (i.e. winds, weather, currents/waves) Give yourself enough line from the bow to the buoy to account for any unforeseen conditions and you'll be fine.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

We are putting our boat on a buoy in Lake Tahoe and the owner of the buoy says the anchoring block for the buoy is 4500 LBS. Our boat is a 25' Chris Craft. How do we know if the anchoring block is big enough for this size boat?

they probably have one size fits all anchor block for the buoys'

that way if they set it, they can lease that spot to anyone....and not have to pull it in..

bob

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

talk to some others who moor there...good question . I would want to know....

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

4500lbs is the weight of the anchoring block?

Are you sure thats not what it's simply rated to hold?

Our marina puts out moorings in the river. The 250 lber I had intended to use, held a 36' Trojan Sportfish. I wonder if mushrooms vs. a mooring block would be why there is a 4250 lb difference?

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's he got down there? A pick-up truck? Are you sure it's not 450 lbs? either way I'd be more concerned about how long the mooring has been there more than the weight of the anchor. Once a mooring anchor sinks into the mud a few feet which takes some time it almost doesn't matter how much it weighs. A big round plastic disk that weighs a mere 50 lbs buried under 3' of mud definitely ain't going anywhere.