whale tail

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: whale tail

I am one that has had good results from hydrofoils. I have had stingray hydrofoils on 3 boats and have been very satisfied with the results. The main reason I always put one on was to get on plane faster which the hydrofoils absolutely help with. I may have taken a small hit on top speed but I didn't care. Handling was never a problem on the boats that I had the hydrofoils instlled on.

BTW I also never experienced having the motor fall off the back of the boat as many seem to suggest will happen. Never even had a single bend or crack in a anti-ventilation plate

I/O or OB???

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Three kinds of whale tails

#3 success depends on what you like (sorry couldn't help it)
2075542723_ad4448903e.jpg

This gets my vote for sure LOL

I have the fin on my old outboard and it definately helped speed up to plane and kept it more stable as well..

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Trailer Boats Magazine did a "shootout" comparing all the brands with and without and published some good data.

Can't find it, do you know when it was published?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

This subject again, it comes up and there's so much misunderstanding and improper use of the item that getting good answers is very difficult.

They really only do one thing, and not every boat can benefit from using one.

If you want something you can bolt on and then head to the water, this is not what you should buy.

The real use of a foil (fin whatever you want to call it) is to allow you to raise the motor higher without the prop ventilating, that's it. It will sort of do some other things, but not well.

By raising the motor you will normally gain some RPM and speed which may allow you to use a different prop, which may again increase the speed. It will also reduce bow lift and hopefully improve handling. With the huge numbers of different hull designs, power options, types of use, etc, its impossible to say it will help in every situation.

If its dragging in the water at speed then you haven't done the correct setup, or your boat, motor and prop combination can't use one. Dragging in the water at speed is where all the problems come from.

On an I/O you can't do much adjusting (if any) so your stuck with what you get, if you like it, great, if not, don't use one.

Tabs are typically what people are looking for to fix issues and they have few down sides.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm surprised they didn't do any setup, they just bolted them on, but I guess that's the way most of them get used. What surprised me more was that they sort of liked them with no change in setup.

Had they done some adjustments (raising the motor), they may have found the speed and mileage increased slightly, hole shot may have improved also. The "different feeling" at speed they reported would have been reduced or eliminated too.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Odie241 I had one on my boat and it did the same as yours, took it off and put a 4 blade prop on All I can say it WOW!!! My boat feels like a new boat, no more pulling and it plains faster than it did with that whale tail on it. I through that thing in the trash!!!! Get trim tabs if you need stern lift!!!

Last edited:

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

My neighbor has one on the Merc 125 on the back of his 18 ft Searay and he swears by it...keeps trying to talk me into getting one. ;)

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Odie241 I had one on my boat and it did the same as yours, took it off and put a 4 blade prop on All I can say it WOW!!! My boat feels like a new boat, no more pulling and it plains faster than it did with that whale tail on it. I through that thing in the trash!!!! Get trim tabs if you need stern lift!!!

Thanks,I will give that a try.I am going out this weekend,I am going to take it off,and run with out it and see what happens.I am asking some friends now to see if anyone has a 4 blade prop i can borrow,but i doubt any of them will work on my boat,as all of their boats are atleast 15 years newer then mine.I already found the correct trim tabs i need for my boat on here,I am going to order those on friday,been wanting to get a pair since i have heard so many good things about them on here.My boat planes out pretty quick now,surprisingly,cant wait to see the difference after the trim tabs are on there.thanks for the heads up though =)

shwoop_soobie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

this is some great reading....
i have been thinking of taking the 40 dollar plunge on a set of doel-fins, mainly so i (a 270lb guy) can be pulled up on skis quickly with our 90hp merc...
i guess if it doesn't work im only out 40 bucks... i have spent more than that on lap-dances...

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,I will give that a try.I am going out this weekend,I am going to take it off,and run with out it and see what happens.I am asking some friends now to see if anyone has a 4 blade prop i can borrow,but i doubt any of them will work on my boat,as all of their boats are atleast 15 years newer then mine.I already found the correct trim tabs i need for my boat on here,I am going to order those on friday,been wanting to get a pair since i have heard so many good things about them on here.My boat planes out pretty quick now,surprisingly,cant wait to see the difference after the trim tabs are on there.thanks for the heads up though =)

Odie241 go to the prop section in this form and and ask what prop should you use for your boat, Their are a few guys that have a formula to calculate the right prop for your setup. Thats what I did and I'm very happy:D

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You guys need to re-read my post. The fins usually do work as advertised... they just don't tell you the negatives.

And 100 bucks for smart tabs is worth it's weight in gold on any boat, any motor, with the same benifits and more as a wing with non of the negatives.

You should see how much faster a gimbal ring wears out when an IO has a fin on it, and gimbal rings are 700 bucks should you need a new one.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put one on once..... took out and noticed it jumped on plane much faster. Turned and almost capsized:eek: took it off and gave it away. This was on an 86 Bayliner Capri 19' w/ 125hp Force (junk). So saying they do nothing is not true... more like they must have a different impact on each boat, more so negative in my case.;)

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Odie241 go to the prop section in this form and and ask what prop should you use for your boat, Their are a few guys that have a formula to calculate the right prop for your setup. Thats what I did and I'm very happy:D

Ok sounds good,I'm heading over there now,I might of forgot to mention,but my boat is a tri-hull if that makes any difference,Probably not,but just throwing it out there =)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Put one on once..... took out and noticed it jumped on plane much faster. Turned and almost capsized:eek: took it off and gave it away. This was on an 86 Bayliner Capri 19' w/ 125hp Force (junk). So saying they do nothing is not true... more like they must have a different impact on each boat, more so negative in my case.;)

You should've raised the motor more, before giving up on the 'foil.