How long do marine batteries last?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangre1

Recruit
I have a marine battery that came new with my boat. It is 10 years old and still runs great. The window on it is still green so it is still a healthy battery. It only gets used one or two days a year. I would sure hate for it to go kaput on me in the middle of the lake some day. Should I invest in a new one or am I over reacting?

TOPGUNmich

Cadet
Re: How long do marine batteries last?

I usually get 4-5 years out of them here in MI, before they start to go bad. Same with Truck batteries. Just replaced 3 Optima Marine batteries, 3yrs on them light usage. Might be differant done south.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you have kept it on a good charger and have maintained it well

I am sorry to hear that "It only gets used one or two days a year" :(

I think with batteries as is with many things, non use can be worse than over using.

I don't know what you use the battery for, but if it is essential for you to get back to shore. I might suggest that you invest in a second battery as a stand-by. Just in case you need it.

other than that, I know nothing about batteries

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine lasted 4 years. I've had automobile batteries last between 3 and 8 years depending on the vehicle. I think 10 years on a boat battery is unusual, especially with minimal usage. Is it hooked up to a charger?

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Plan on 5yrs with proper care and no abuse.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

That is unusual. They also don't last as long in hot areas of the country.

I'd worry more about a boat only used a couple hours a year than the battery--unless you are talking about a trolling motor. Outboards especially need to be run.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

I invested in a portable battery pack this year.... it has 2 x 12V dc plugs on it, and a USB plug as well. It also has theb ooster cables. I paid $69 for it at canadian tire on sale (50% off)

I use this on my boat to power 5v USB speakers, and play my mp3 lpayer through that, thus not draining my battery at all. In the unlikely event my fish finder drains my main starting battery, I have full backup boosting ability..

You must be very careful with these!! One spark and you can go boom! If you must use it, use it in a WELL Ventilated area, fan any fumes if the engine or battery is enclosed away, before attempting to connect it, and always plug positive on first, before the ground to minimize chance for a spark.

So far, I haven't needed it, but it saved my butt when camping on the long weekend. My buddy ran his truck stereo for several hours, and killed the battery. He laughed at me for bringing this along, but it saved the day since we were so remote in the bushes with no cell service.

..... in case anybody is curious, I ran my speakers for 20 hours so far off this, cranked wide open (they are crappy speakers) and the boosting capability is still in the green and capable of boosting a vehicle. I like the peace of mind it gives me, running accessories off a non essential power source. Can stick an invrter into the 12v adaptor, plys my cell charger, etc..

haulnazz15

Captain

The more you use the boat, the longer the batteries will usually last if you don't keep a battery tender on them. The constant discharging of the battery when it is only run once every couple of months or less shortens the battery life. if you run them once a month or better, you stand a greater chance of getting long life out of the battery. That being said, I wouldn't trust a 10-year old battery due to age alone. With boats/jet skis I normally have a 5--6 year limit. It's less inconvenient to me to have a dead battery on land than on water, so I run my auto batteries until the give up the ghost.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is 10 years old and still runs great. Should I invest in a new one or am I over reacting?

Your living on borrowed time with that battery.

Buy a new one tomorrow.

No matter how well a battery is kept up, the plates inside of it degrade over time.

On second thought and on edit: once or twice a year...why bother....just make sure you have a way to get the boat (unknown size) back to where you launched it. That could include a set or oars, a paddle, a pull start rope, a VHF radio to summon help, or a tow line when you hail down a passing boat that might help you.

dangre1

Recruit

I use it for running my fishfinder, a couple livewells, and starting the boat. I leave it hooked up to the boat for about five months in the warmer months. I don't charge it. When the weather gets freezing around Oct, I remove it and give it a charge, and store it in a heated building. Around may I give it another charge and stick it back in the boat. Thats it.

robert graham

Admiral

10 years and you're on borrowed time with that battery! Go get a new one and count yourself lucky..

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

That question will depend on your location climate.

Believe it or not, many retailers have different pricing, warranty period on the same battery sold in different region of the country. They are basing their decision on the "typical battery life" in a given area. For example, if you have a Walmart near by your area, if the automotive technician would let you, ask to see newer portable battery tester. In that device, it also have the "typical battery life" in your local.

Of course, someone have already mentioned, if the battery is not used often, put it a automatic trickle charger will increase battery's odd of living a longer life.

-

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

You run a fish finder, livewell, and the electric start? Is your motor and outboard, and dDoes your motor have a pull cord? Does it work?

If yes, then I would just run that battery till she no longer works.... If you're out on the lake, and the livewell stops pumping, or fidh finder dies, and you can't start the motor with the electric start - you can use the pull cord to get home... then buy that battery... it doesn't sound like mission critical battery here (unless you had to crank a 350 block i/o) - and as somebody else said, maybe pack some oars too (which is a standard safety equipment anyways, so you probably already have those on board)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Concur, 10 years is way beyond a normal expected life span of a battery, mine normally go 4-5 years.

I personally wouldn't trust it and would at least get a second one just for piece of mind, if you only get out a couple times a year no sense wrecking a trip because of a battery.

I run 3 on my fishing boat, a starter and 2 to run the boat, never ever go dead now.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Basically any lead/acid battery has a life expectancy of 5 years. If they are poorly built a plate or post will break earlier. If they are very well looked after they last longer. The long life warranty you sometimes see is a trade off on extra cost now versus a replacement in the future.
Just decide how critical it is to have your battery working. If you can get a replacement easily it's not a big problem. In a boat it can be hard to run down to the store to get the replacement if you are surrounded by water. They often fail suddenly and you won't know until you try to restart. If you get a boost you can run again, until you turn it off.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

When I was young and foolish I bought a cheep Williard and it lasted 2 years. The cheep oem battery in my current boat was an Interstate and it lasted 3 years. I used to only buy the best DieHard and usually got about 8 years out of them.

I now have a 10 year old AGM DEKA and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Keep an eye on the voltage, charge it when it needs it and have it load tested once a year and don't worry about it if it passes all the tests. You obviously have a good battery to begin with, and you have been taking care of it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do any of you guys note how old the thread you have resurrected and hijacked is??

The OP has not been back since last June, so I doubt he cares any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.