Frozen Steering Teleflex

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Frozen Steering Teleflex

GatorMike, the problem was that the ram was stuck, the cable was OK. If he had cut the cable, he still would have had to pound the crap out of the ram to get it out.

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One other item you need to take care of now is pull the entire cable out of the sheath, clean out all of the solvents and crud you have forced into it with the pressure setup.
Then use the proper lube to the cable upon the install
the ram and cable are one unit, so when the cable moves the ram moves, no telescoping of any parts. The tolerances between the ram and pivot tube is very tight and only need a few thousandth's of crud to jamb it up.
Pressure setup is a good idea.
Good luck with it and remember to pull it and lube it at the end of the season
Mike

Geekie1

Cadet

Heya Geek , we live pretty close to each other....where do you boat ? When I have a usable boat , I dunk it in the Delaware river....Linden Ave. A public ramp...near Ben Salem...I hope to splash my current project (pictured below)in a month or so ...Gods be willing...lol

Hi Stachi,

When my boat is 100% ready to go, I keep on the trailer at my house in Cape May County NJ. That way, wherever the fishing is good I can trailer to a launching ramp that is the closest to the hot spots. It spends the winter in my driveway in Doylestown Township. No excuse for letting the steering getting frozen like I did! That won't happen again.

As to the suggestion about taking the cable and steering mechanism apart and cleaning out all of the Kroil, PB Blaster, ATF etc. I think that is a good suggestion. I have already pulled the cable and ram out of the tilt tube and cleaned the tilt tube with a spiral wire brush. I don't know if everyone is familiar with "Fluid Film" but many marine service organizations including large scale ocean shipping organizations say that it is the best salt water anti-corrosive lubricant on the market. Where I buy it is a local tractor dealer/service shop and they swear by it. One thing I am sure of. If I forced FF into the ram and tilt tube to the point of having it come out of the helm, which I did, there will be no better cleaning job I could do!! How did I know all of the snake oil is out of the cable. The prior lubricant I forced into the tilt tube before FF was ATF. As you know, ATF Dexron is bright red. When the red was gone so was the crud and penetrants.

Geek