Key Largo boats - water in fuel issue

USN8303

Cadet
I am considering purchasing my first boat. A Key Largo 160CC...not sure if I am going to buy brand new or used. I just talked to a fella who said there are known issues with Key Largo boats and water in the fuel. I believe he said the gas cap is poorly designed or simply does not do a good job of keeping water out of the tank. He said he has had to have his tank pumped out three times as a result of this problem.

So..Key Largo owners....have you had similar experiences with your boat? If not a Key Largo owner...but you know about this problem..I would love to hear from you as well.

Thanks

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Key Largo boats - water in fuel issue

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I doubt there is anything inherently flawed with the design of the boat. Gas caps have o-rings or gaskets to keep water out. I'll bet this guy had a problem in this area.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

never heard it, install a fuel/water separting filter.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

decent cheap boats, never heard of the fuel cap issue.

USN8303

Cadet

I spoke to a guy who is selling his 2007. He said the dealer from whom he purchased the boat eventually did a modification, maybe installed a baffle (not sure if that is what he said). He went on to say the dealer has since done the same mod to 10 or 11 these boats. From that...it's obviously not an isolated incident. I am going to call the dealer and ask him but I wanted see if you all have heard of this problem. Thanks to all for the feedback/input.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I had a similar problem with my Key West 17'. It wasn't the fill cap, it was the through-hull vent-placed too low, banged up and corroded, and without a proper swan neck in the tube. So I just bypassed it by installing a vented cap. An easy part to swap out--better than swapping out the motor.
So on yours, investigate that aspect. And while a water seperator is important or unavoidable water (ethanol poisoning) you have to stop the intrusion.

USN8303

Cadet

I went to the local dealer. They explained that the stock vented fuel cap was allowing water intrusion (mainly if the boat sat outside exposed to rain and water was permitted to pool up in the corner near the cap). They have modded their remaining 2010 inventory of this model boat by installing a ventless fuel cap and adding a side-mount loop vent.

For the 2011 model, the manufacturer has re-designed the fuel system. Instead of an internal 23 gallon below deck tank, there is now a slightly smaller...I think 20 gal removable tank that sits on the deck in the center console. The manufacture compensated for eating up what was storage space under the console by adding a hatch for storage on the bow, in front of the casting platform.

This will be my first boat....I need some good advice. Would you guys be inclined to buy the 2011 model with the external, removable, slightly smaller gas tank or would you rather have the 2010 model with the internal tank prone to water intrusion with a dealer installed mod? That is...all things else being equal (price, cosmetics, storage area, etc.)

Which would you want?

Thanks

capt sam

external tank, down the road it could make life a lot easier.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The only negative thing I have heard about Key Largo boats in in the layup of the hull. It is a single "layered" hull and is supposed to be a little weaker than the double layered hull, such as on a Key West or Pro Line.

However, I've never owned one, so take that with a grain of salt. Might be something to ask about, though.

capt sam

It's called a rolled edge, it's done in cheaper boats not necessarily a bad thing, gives you a little more room as there isn't a cap per se with compartments.

robert graham

Admiral

My brother-in-law's 19' Key West got a lot of water in 60 gallon built-in tank, caused lots of trouble to motor, injectors, etc., they cut into deck to replace plastic tank with 40 gallon aluminum with drain to bilge, stainless valve with pipe plug on end. They never really figured out how the water got into the tank, but maybe faulty fill gaskets/O-Rings? Water/fuel seperators are great but can't deal with several gallons of water. Think I'll just keep my above-deck,"portable" tanks that I can see and drain as needed. Good Luck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Robert have your BIL inspect the through hull vent--and bypass it.

stripedbass

Recruit

I am considering purchasing my first boat. A Key Largo 160CC...not sure if I am going to buy brand new or used. I just talked to a fella who said there are known issues with Key Largo boats and water in the fuel. I believe he said the gas cap is poorly designed or simply does not do a good job of keeping water out of the tank. He said he has had to have his tank pumped out three times as a result of this problem.

So..Key Largo owners....have you had similar experiences with your boat? If not a Key Largo owner...but you know about this problem..I would love to hear from you as well.

Thanks

I have a 2000 Key largo 1600, nothing but issue's with water in the tank, causing motor issue's. The gas vent was designed to low to the water line,(gunnels) if any splashing to the sides of the vent, water would get in. I had a new gas fill cap with vent put in, it has helped, but there is still an issue with the water. Also note, I've had a water seperator all along, has helped somewhat. If you can, buy another boat that has higher gunnells. Oh, forgot one other thing, this boat has a 75 merc on the stern, so the weight makes the transom lower when the motor is raised, have had numerous calls from the harbor master, with water getting in after a heavy rain storm.

Good Luck

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2000 Key largo 1600, nothing but issue's with water in the tank, causing motor issue's. The gas vent was designed to low to the water line,(gunnels) if any splashing to the sides of the vent, water would get in. I had a new gas fill cap with vent put in, it has helped, but there is still an issue with the water. Also note, I've had a water seperator all along, has helped somewhat. If you can, buy another boat that has higher gunnells. Oh, forgot one other thing, this boat has a 75 merc on the stern, so the weight makes the transom lower when the motor is raised, have had numerous calls from the harbor master, with water getting in after a heavy rain storm.

Good Luck

Not a self draining hull? Nice that your dockmaster keeps an eye on her for you after rains.

NYBo

Admiral

Thread is over three years old, guys.