Aquasport History?

USMCMatt

Seaman Apprentice
What happened to the Aquasport line of boats, was the company bought out, went under? What happened?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Aquasport History?

Check the USCG MIC data base and it will tell you. Google that phrase ;)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Matt, Maybe I can shed a little light on the subject, seeing as I worked there at Wellcraft, where they were built after Genmar bought them and moved them from Hialeah, from '94-'00. 225 and 245/250 Ospreys, along with many 175s, 200s, 215s. On my Ospreys, once the boat was decked, I did the rest of it. Built the cockpit, installed and wired the console, installed the leaning posts and T-Tops, prepped the transom, hung and rigged the motors...11 hours a day, 8 on Saturdays. Left for Stamas Yacht in Sept. '00.

After OMC went bankrupt in '99, Genmar bought the majority of OMC's boat lines, including Hydra-sports, Seaswirl, Four Winns, Crestliner, and Princecraft. Problem was now they had 4 fiberglass fishboat companies competing against each other...Wellcraft, Aquasport, Seaswirl, and Hydra-sports. So the Aquasport line-up was pulled in around '05 to do some "market repositioning"...and is still moth-balled today. Don't know what happened to the molds, doubt they took them with them when they high-tailed it out of Sarasota to the Four Winns plant up in Cadillac, MI. Would love to have them back.

BTW, see you live in O-town. Lived there for 14 years, south Orlando off of Oak Ridge, then had a house built just inside of Ocoee, mile north of Silver Star...

rcmickey

Seaman

I agree with everything you said but must correct you on one issue. The plant was not in Hialeah but in near by OpaLocka Fl. I know that because I grew up in Hialeah and we would ride our dirt bikes at a dirt track that was built directly behind the plant in OpaLocka. It was hell of a factory in its hey day. The plant was within walking distance of the Mako plant where my mom was VP of personnel untill they moved it.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

rc,
Hey, our plant was listed in Sarasota, but was really in Bradenton...perception, my friend, perception.