Does a Mr. Magic Eraser harm my boat

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering guys if using a mr.Magic eraser on the outside of my boat harm the fiberglass or clear coat? It makes my boat look awesome when I use it as a sponge when cleaing my boat but im not sure if its hurting it.
Any harmfull products in there?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does a Mr. Magic Eraser harm my boat

It IS abrasive so I probably wouldn't make a habit of it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just wondering guys if using a mr.Magic eraser on the outside of my boat harm the fiberglass or clear coat? It makes my boat look awesome when I use it as a sponge when cleaing my boat but im not sure if its hurting it.
Any harmfull products in there?

Magic Eraser has a small amount of very fine abrasive in it, so it can remove stubborn stains, etc. I have used it myself on the gel coat, but only where there was staining and on bumpy "non slip" gel coat surfaces to remove dirt down in the crevices. Works really well to clean non slip surface. So far, so good. But you can see a slight dulling action from the product.

Also works well on dirty vinyl. Gets the dirt out of the crevices.

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've heard of using Magic Eraser on a boat vinyl, but not on the gel coat. I'd be too paranoid to try.

However, just this weekend someone told me a tip for waterstains/mildew.

Take a small concetration of Lime Away product (about an inch in your spray bottle) then dilute it with plain old water. Spray the sides of the boat and powerwash afterwards.

Haven't tried it personally yet, but I will update as soon as I do!! Also a marine product called Duckies works well too!

jkust

Rear Admiral

I've use it on a couple of marks on the inside glass and outside hull. Somehow last weekend one of the kids scrapped their lifejacket buckle hard against the fiberglass on the walk through to the bow and made a 2 inch black mark. The mr clean erasure took it off with almost no effort or visible scuff mark from its abrasive. I am very cognisant of what it does so am careful. As for the vinyl, it will take the protective uv coating off of it if you are too agressive. I used it on a plastic piece on my car interior very gently and it made a light spot. Some things can handle it and some can't. Also I got talked into the Duckies water spot remover. I think our water is the hardest on earth and is a real chore to deal with. I almost want to connect our cold water to the softner. The duckies does a respectible job of taking the water spots off if it dries before I can wipe it down while washing it. The windows are the biggest pain without the duckies. I do recall it was kind of expensive.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gel coat is VERY strong and very thick. You would not want to use it on a shiny freshly waxed gelcoat, but if you have stains and oxidizing, it really does wonders. Most detailers actually use a magic eraser or clay bar first, then start with a corse wet sand paper and work up to a fine wet sand paper. Then compounding and polishing. Very tedious and takes hours upon hours.

So short answer, no it will not "hurt" but is a waste if there is no stain or oxidization.

jkust

Rear Admiral

clay bar first, then start with a corse wet sand paper and work up to a fine wet sand paper.

Interesting Clay Bar on a boat. I have one and never thought of using it.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Gel coat is VERY strong and very thick. You would not want to use it on a shiny freshly waxed gelcoat, but if you have stains and oxidizing, it really does wonders. Most detailers actually use a magic eraser or clay bar first, then start with a corse wet sand paper and work up to a fine wet sand paper. Then compounding and polishing. Very tedious and takes hours upon hours.

So short answer, no it will not "hurt" but is a waste if there is no stain or oxidization.

OK I will make sure to only use on the parts that really need it.

Do you think mr. Magic would work on the oxidizing red on the boat? Never tryed always have used it on the white

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes it will help greatly, but may not bring back 100%.

I wetsand and buff is the only way. Expect to have 8 hrs into it if you want it to look like new.

shrew

Lieutenant

It's fine for gelcoat, but it does remove the wax.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have used Mr. Clean Magic Erasers for years on my gelcoat. It removes the wax. Simply rewax the clean area after it dries. Never had an issue.

ksgoldman

Cadet

20 years ago I started using Soft Scrub on the boat I had at the time. Knowing that it was abrasive, I was very careful only to use it as a last resort (I always started with just soap and water). When I did use Soft Scrub, I'd use a wet sponge or wet down the area first in order to dilute the abrasives. Magic Erasers are probably less abrasive than Soft Scrub, and come in regular and extra strength (again I'd start with regular strength). I have also found the the sponges that they sell for cleaning non-stick pots and pans can also be used on fiberglass (and again - be careful as they are abrasive as well). I have found that microfiber cloths work pretty well for cleaning (and have better cleaning ability than just a sponge).