Cover your boat... Do you or don't you?

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As Summer is underway it got me to thinking, I have already taken my boat out four times since the beginning of May.........

Do you cover your boat religiously after every single outing specially over the summer when the boat gets used much more than the rest of the year?

Last fall I finally bought a cover for my boat (after 4 years) and I realized once the boat is covered it created a bit of a mental obstacle when I wanted to use the boat, for some reason I subconsciously saw it as more work, even though I am one to never shy away from the prep work that a boat requires. In the beginning of May when we started using the boat almost weekly, I have not covered the boat in between uses for various reasons;

I usually clean up the day after we go out and figure I would not be able to cover until at least 24 hours after that and being here in S. Florida DAILY :( showers in the summer are par for the course, my boat will never really get a chance to dry out completely so why cover (a lot of work for a 26' boat) if by Friday I will be uncovering for prep and weekend outing :D most likely again?

I am curious to hear how the rest of the family here at Iboats handles their specific situation.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cover your boat... Do you or don't you?

I cover - mostly because the sun beats the snot out of the vinyl seats. I have fibergalss floors in my bowrider so the rain really is not an issue, just the sun.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I cover - mostly because the sun beats the snot out of the vinyl seats. I have fibergalss floors in my bowrider so the rain really is not an issue, just the sun.

I cover, too. Agree with the impact of UV on upholstery. My boat is 10-11 years old and the seats look practically new.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have the room for the boat to be under cover in a garage, so it sits outside, beside the house all year long. When I purchased my boat I invested in a fitted trailerable cover (with poppers). It has been the best investment I made. It keeps out prying eyes, the rain and when the sun eventually decides to show itself, it protects the seating. The 5 to 10 extra minutes to deal with it is well worth it.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

I generally leave it uncovered in the summer in the driveway if I am expecting fair weather for the foreseeable future...if I know some major rain is coming for the next couple of days I'll take the time to cover it.

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I cover, too. Agree with the impact of UV on upholstery. My boat is 10-11 years old and the seats look practically new.

I also cover. Agree 100% with what others have said about UV. And there is bound to be wood in your boat somewhere. I had to replace all the side pieces in my boat because the last owner did not cover, and the manufacturers often take shortcuts and do not protect the wood like they need to, particularly in spots such as the wood behind the side vinyl. I was able to save some of it with epoxy resin. Other areas were like mush. It only takes a crease for water to start breaking down the wood and rotting it. Costs me time and money for the wood repairs from the previous owners negligence. At least I knew it when I bought the boat.

Philster

Captain

I don't button down a cover on 'er because she sits inside a boatel when not in use. However, if she were outside during the season I would use my mooring cover and keep the top and sides protected with a quality wax.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cover mine after each use. I have 2 covers though and the summer cover that won't repel rain well is what I use in the summer. I have a better cover that is weatherproof that I use for the winter layup. It fits well and I use bungees and the cover pull cord to get it nice and snug over winter. The summer cover is the gray kind with bungee cord in the hem so I just put that over and leave it as is. I don't want the sun roasting my interior.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having an older boat I cover religiously. I am trying to get my floors and vinyle to last as long as possible. So not only do I put the boat cover on I also store in a covered storage unit during the week.

aspeck

Staff member

The garage roof covers her nicely! :p

I keep her in the garage so she is ready to go in a moments notice and not subject to the elements. I could not control what her first owners did to her, but I CAN make sure the wear and tear stops here! Don't like the damaging effects of UV or rain. That is why I keep my vehicles in the garage also ... had to have a fender repainted on a 10 year old vehicle recently (it didn't like the tree that was beside the ice on the road). The body shop was amazed they didn't have to do any blending of the paint ... because it has been kept under roof and out of the sun!

Same goes for boats, campers, and other toys we accumulate. The sun is harder on them than rain! But if you cover and leave outside, make sure the cover can breath or you can get some mighty damaging humidity and heat build up under your cover.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Always cover my boat after every use.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

cover wtih mooring cover religiously

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

I keep my boat coverd all week because I dont use it and on the weekend if Im going out saturday and sunday I leave it off. If theres a chance of rain I cover it on the weekend. But it seems everytime I dont I always have the bird ****ting in it :mad:

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yes no yes no, I should and I do, but some times I forget. :mad:
bad rob

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cover is on all the time - for all the reasons stated already.

Kracken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always cover your boat.

I have seen 4 year old boats with the interior completely trashed because they were uncovered. Conversely I have seen 15 year old boats that are in showroom condition because they were covered.

bear_69cuda

Commander

My boat is stored outside in the summer... So I had a waterline cover made... It's wasn't cheap, but it fully protects my boat.

26MAY10%20435.jpg

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i cover due to rain, sun, and keep animals out and keep the boat dry, clean and not torn up.

Summer Fun

Banned

I have a camper canvas so I'm good . :)

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

I live in South Florida, also. My boat stays fairly wet unless I cover it. I only boat on the weekends, so I usually uncover it Friday night and recover it Monday or Tuesday morning.

-E