Cover your boat... Do you or don't you?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cover your boat... Do you or don't you?

Never. My boat likes rain water. I have no upholstery except 1 seat, and I cover the console. I can hop in and go (it stays in the water--salt water omigod!--all year). And that's how most of the boater's boats on the river are kept.

Really, this is an invalid question; not to sound like Slick Willy but what is the definition of boat? And where is this boat (you did limit the question to summer time)? An antique wooden boat, a carpeted fully upholstered bowrider, a work boat, a 35' yacht, a boat on a trailer under trees, boat inthe desert v. boat in the far north--all warrant different answers (BTW my anique whaler on a trailer under trees is covered!)

Now, when deciding whether to cover: true a covered boat (if done correctly) holds its new appearance longer. As does a garaged car. There is, however, a cost associated with this objective, in both time, trouble and materials (a climate controlled building is the ultimate cover). Are those costs worth it, or can you live with your boat aging gracefully?

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

once the boat is covered it created a bit of a mental obstacle when I wanted to use the boat.

I have a similar challenge- I tend to want to leave it uncovered so I can work on it, even tho I may only work on it 1 or 2 days a week. Then once covered, I tend to put off doing minor upkeep chores because the boat is covered.

But covered is best. I have seen too many neglected boats
with grass and bushes growing inside. :eek:

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 10 by 20 tent cover I got from pepboys for 90 bucks

Works fine and lets me work on the boat in shade

nlain

Commander

I cover for all of the reasons mentioned, including on trailer under the trees. I have squirrels, coons, possums, stray cats, and who knows what else passing through my yard, boat does get some sun so I am protected from that also. I use a big blue tarp, I put 2 vents in it and bungie cords hold it on, I buy 1 tarp a year for about $20. When it spends the night in the water at dock, I have mooring cover on it.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Rain matters big time.

Fresh water (rain inc) rots wood not saltwater.

Rain water sitting in your boat is not good.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I cover every time. I canot store inside.

Since I cannot keep it inside I. Cover it very well. Snap on cover after each use on the weekend. On Sunday nights after I clean it out and towel dry, I use snap on cover then a mooring cover that covers 90% of the sides.
During the winter I use those two plus a big tarp with bungees that covers the entire boat.

This is the nicest thing I have ever had and I want to keep it perfect!

I learned about this from the original TU TU TANGO, the original owner abused it and it really showed! Sun and elements are a killer.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Rain matters big time.

Fresh water (rain inc) rots wood not saltwater.

Rain water sitting in your boat is not good.

But rain water draining out scuppers won't, and rain water will never sit in a boat with a bilge pump (in water) or the plug out (on trailer). For this discussion to have any meaning, you have to disregard extreme neglect such as trees growing or water standing in a boat. For such a boat owner, a cover is just a bandaid over a festering wound.

BTW among wooden boat builders around here, fresh water (such as rain water) is called "sweet water" and yes it is known to be far worse than salt.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My boat came from MN and was covered + stored in a garage when not used. The interior is like new + vinyl is still soft. Keep it covered and it will last. Keep the drain plug out and it will drip dry.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never cover mine. I don't even own a cover. If I had upholstery I would definitely cover but since I dont I dont

sbooy42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the summer ours stays outdoors on the water....I always keep it covered unless I know its going to get used the next day, then I'll leave the cover off..

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep mine covered too...
quicker to remove the cover than to clean up all the mess and dirt from sitting

IMG_3044.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I keep her in the garage, AND put the cover on. It takes all of 30 seconds to take the cover off....much less that waiting for the wife to get ready.

She's 26 years old (the boat that is) and the inside is showroom condition. The cover keeps her clean, free of spiders, etc.

If she was cheep, maybe I wouldn't care, but she cost me 6 months salary.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

AZ sun would beat down on the Upholstery.

Cover yes and Always.

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always covered, or parked in the garage to dry out before mine gets covered.

If you want your interior to be trashed, don't cover it. If you want your boat seats to last longer than 5 years, you better cover it.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

my boat does not get covered much. i only have a cover for the center console. i dont think i want to pay the money for a custom cover, they are very pricey for centerconsole T-top boats. but i do at least plan on doing what i see a lot of people do with boats like mine.... separate covers for motor, leaning post, and console. its on my to-buy list!

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ten minutes to cover, is better than the price you will pay later.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm..it takes me literally 5min to take it off and 5 min to put it back on. After a day at the lake, I leave it uncovered for the night, and cover er back up in the morning. The interior is 15 yrs old and is in excellent condition. So is the deck, now that I took care of that:rolleyes:

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

The most I will leave the cover off is from friday night till Sunday night.

Yes it's annoying but I don't have the cash to mess around ..

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Here is my red and white boat cover. It is a little hard to see behind the boat.

Attachments

• 2008 (1012).JPG
    2008 (1012).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is my red and white boat cover. It is a little hard to see behind the boat.

Those are the best, wish I had one that big and tall.