polyester or nylon anchor rope?

ofhs85

Cadet
I just bought a boat and need to get a anchor rope. what king is better polyester or nylon and what length. I have a 21 ft open bow and will be using it in a small lake about 20ft deep. thanks for you help

robert graham

Admiral
Re: polyester or nylon anchor rope?

For 20' deep water you're probably going to need at least 50' of rope or more, I prefer a 3/8" or 1/2" Braided Nylon because the larger size and the Braided rope is a lot easier on your hands than a smaller diameter or Twisted type rope, and it doesn't seem to tangle and kink up as much. Depending on the type bottom and speed of water current would determine type of anchor and length of rope. A 3' or 4' section of chain between anchor and rope is also a good idea to make the anchor hold better and keep the rope from rubbing itself in two due to wave action, if you have any. Good Luck!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Poly Line is much cheaper than nylon, however, the sun will destroy it in short order.

3 strand twisted nylon is the usual anchor line. It has more stretch than braided, and is cheaper. 3/8" is the usual size for that boat. Chain is a good idea. Use shackles and thimbles to make the connections.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I assume by polyester you mean polypropolene?

As already stated polypropolene becomes brittle and frays with ultraviolet exposure. It is also bouyant and will float on the surface where it can become entangled in a prop.

I would also recommend braided nylon but it is, of course, more expensive.

Ned L

Commander

Hmm, By "Polyester" I was thinking he was meaning Dacron. Nylon would be preferable to either of the others for the reason of stretch alone (Dacron Polyester and Polypropylene are both low stretch materials). 3/8" is more than enough, 1/2" is total overkill on a 20' boat (unless it is something you have already available).

ofhs85

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I went and got a 3/8" x 50' braided nylon rope. When i searched anchor rope in ebay there were several "polyester" ropes that came up in the search so i thought i would ask since it was much cheaper for the polyester ropes.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

get the nylon, I have 300 feet of nylon that my dad used 15 years ago and it is as good as it was then and it was used in salt water. I plan to use it on my new/used boat when I get it