Sealing nylon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing nylon?

I made a temporary boat top from nylon and I need to waterproof it, not "water resistant" but waterPROOF.

I have used paraffin and white gas to waterproof canvas but don't know if it works on nylon....

I tried silicon and just about drown in a thunderstorm this weekend!

Re: Sealing nylon?

My thoughts are that using nylon may be the issue, great for pup tents but not for boats, you may be better off with tent canvas.
    home is where we drop anchor

Comment

I have Sunbrella-Plus but the boat will be rearranged next winter and I didn't want to use expensive fabric for only one season and then throw it away.

Comment

The only thing that I can think of if your using rip stop nylon is it has to be piano wire tight, and try scotch gaurd.

Comment

It IS rip-stop nylon and it IS 'piano wire tight' when it is dry. The MAJOR problem is when it gets damp, it sags terribly.

Comment

Originally posted by DianneB View Post
            It IS rip-stop nylon and it IS 'piano wire tight' when it is dry. The MAJOR problem is when it gets damp, it sags terribly.
            YUP

Comment

I used a cheap home depot blue tarp for one season.

I cut it to fit, had wife double the edges over and sew it. I put the snaps in it to match what I had on the boat.

Good that I only needed it for one season, because that is all it lasted.

It was a basic ' mooring cover' not a complicated cabin set up, but it might work.
              Ohh, It's Killin' Me!!!

Comment

Working...
              X